Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This morning Im staring at my maps trying to decide my next trip. I have two areas I want to hit. One is Anza Borrego and the other Mojave. Both will cover quite a bit of distance and will be over night. Both will be done but, Anza will require some input from others. Im thinking March for first (which means cold to cool).

1. Mojave. Start at Baker. Head over to lava tubes. Drop down to the mojave trail see a few things and camp. See a few more things then back to road. The way home will most likely be the I-15 between Rasor and Baker. I have two camp spots there, which one depends on where we end up. Most likely can run this route with a 2wd vehicle.

2. Anza Borrego. I want to see the Goat Canyon rail bridge. Its way down near the bottom with a few other things to see in the area. The walk is moderate and about 3 miles one way. I'm not real familiar with the area. That means exploring (PC for getting lost). Fires have to be off the ground and I think there's a restriction on dogs. Not sure about best places to camp. Doubt you will need 4wd but, you never know.

3. Inscription Canyon. Threw this back in the mix as a day run. Just seeing how many (if any) want to run this. Cliff and I led this last year and it was great. This is a day run. Calico area. Inscription canyon pictographs, Opal mine, Rainbow basin (canyon?). Moderate length. Stock 4wd. Few small hills and some sand.

Opinions?

Scott

mtbiker71

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hemet, CA
Member #

This morning Im staring at my maps trying to decide my next trip. I have two areas I want to hit. One is Anza Borrego and the other Mojave. Both will cover quite a bit of distance and will be over night. Both will be done but, Anza will require some input from others. Im thinking March for first (which means cold to cool).

1. Mojave. Start at Baker. Head over to lava tubes. Drop down to the mojave trail see a few things and camp. See a few more things then back to road. The way home will most likely be the I-15 between Rasor and Baker. I have two camp spots there, which one depends on where we end up. Most likely can run this route with a 2wd vehicle.

2. Anza Borrego. I want to see the Goat Canyon rail bridge. Its way down near the bottom with a few other things to see in the area. The walk is moderate and about 3 miles one way. I'm not real familiar with the area. That means exploring (PC for getting lost). Fires have to be off the ground and I think there's a restriction on dogs. Not sure about best places to camp. Doubt you will need 4wd but, you never know.

3. Inscription Canyon. Threw this back in the mix as a day run. Just seeing how many (if any) want to run this. Cliff and I led this last year and it was great. This is a day run. Calico area. Inscription canyon pictographs, Opal mine, Rainbow basin (canyon?). Moderate length. Stock 4wd. Few small hills and some sand.

Opinions?

Scott
All of these options sound good as I/we have never been to any of the locations listed but am very interested in going. Due to my lack of knowledge I don't really have an opinion so I would defer to those who have actually ran these trails/locations or at the very least are familiar with them. But assuming I can get the time off and my wife doesn't schedule something that would conflict, count me in.

Reactions: ALG

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
All of these options sound good as I/we have never been to any of the locations listed but am very interested in going. Due to my lack of knowledge I don't really have an opinion so I would defer to those who have actually ran these trails/locations or at the very least are familiar with them. But assuming I can get the time off and my wife doesn't schedule something that would conflict, count me in.
This is what I'm looking for. I'm more gauging interest as well as opinion. This is going to be desert (California winter) so, it can be cold/wet to warm/dry.

Scott

Reactions: T-88

Jacob Cline

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Temecula, CA, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Cline
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Tan F150

Opinions?

Scott
Quite honest I’m interested in all three, Mojave and Calico I have not been too both! Anza Borrego I’m somewhat familiar with! Everytime I go there I always find another place to go or something interesting to see!

Last edited:

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU

Opinions?

Scott
I was thinking of camping one or two nights at Owl Canyon near Rainbow Canyon and exploring the Inscription and Opal Mountain areas.
When are you planning to go there?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I was thinking of camping one or two nights at Owl Canyon near Rainbow Canyon and exploring the Inscription and Opal Mountain areas.
When are you planning to go there?
Now that's a thought. If we do it early enough in the season, we will miss the wind. I hadn't looked at dates yet. I just kinda threw the Calico run out to see if there was any interest. If you could find a sandy area, we could throw in a basic recovery class in the mix at the same time. What do you think?

If anyone wants to chime in here, ask questions or comment on what you want. Have at it.

Scott

Jacob Cline

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Temecula, CA, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Cline
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Tan F150
Now that's a thought. If we do it early enough in the season, we will miss the wind. I hadn't looked at dates yet. I just kinda threw the Calico run out to see if there was any interest. If you could find a sandy area, we could throw in a basic recovery class in the mix at the same time. What do you think?

If anyone wants to chime in here, ask questions or comment on what you want. Have at it.

Scott
Yeah absolutely, A recovery class definitely would be good

Reactions: kandyredcoi

ALG

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunrise, Florida, United States
First Name
Andres
Last Name
Guerrero
Member #

Opinions?

Scott
I’m interested in all three. If we can run them in weekends that will be great.