Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Went and did some camping and riding this past weekend at the dunes in Wiggins. Had a blastIMG_1289.JPG56176900881__0443CFA7-CD34-4619-8786-37CAA38CD20F.JPGIMG_1305.JPGIMG_1313.JPG

Reactions: Mike P

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Tentative planning is underway for an early to mid May 2019 Georgia Traverse trip if anybody thinks they might be interested in tagging along for some or all of it. I figure that around that time the weather SHOULD be somewhat cooperative and the Forest Service will have had enough time to take care of most of the winter damage/blockages. As of now, the plan is to start on the west end near Ft. Payne and go east. Looking at roughly three to four days for the Traverse and then heading up into the Smokies for another three to five days or so before coming back home. The timeline is still fluid at this point, but I REALLY need to burn some vacation time next spring and spending the better part of two weeks in the woods sounds like a great way to do it.
I made 4 trips last year to do the traverse. My advice is to run it East to West. The most technical portion is Trey Mountain Road and it is much easier climbing than descending. For 3 days on the traverse you can drive to Clayton Georgia and take warwoman road up to sarahs campgroundfor camp on night 1. You can jump on the traverse near there and run west. You can end day 2 and camp atop trey mountain. Continue west from there and camp day three on the traverse. This should put you close enough to jump out at the power station on the ocoee river and head north on day 4.

Im debating making a 3 day trip up there this week. I love it up there. Starting from Clayton and running west for two to 3 days will give you the absolute best of the traverse including trey mountain and several water crossings on tallulah river road.

I am currently living in gonzales....so...hello neighbor!

Reactions: Cwilli17 and Mike P

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I made 4 trips last year to do the traverse. My advice is to run it East to West. The most technical portion is Trey Mountain Road and it is much easier climbing than descending. For 3 days on the traverse you can drive to Clayton Georgia and take warwoman road up to sarahs campgroundfor camp on night 1. You can jump on the traverse near there and run west. You can end day 2 and camp atop trey mountain. Continue west from there and camp day three on the traverse. This should put you close enough to jump out at the power station on the ocoee river and head north on day 4.

Im debating making a 3 day trip up there this week. I love it up there. Starting from Clayton and running west for two to 3 days will give you the absolute best of the traverse including trey mountain and several water crossings on tallulah river road.

I am currently living in gonzales....so...hello neighbor!
Appreciate the info! We've had a SLIGHT change of plans since I posted that, but I'll definitely bookmark the post for a future trip. We decided to go to Expo West and the Grand Canyon/Southern Utah for a couple of weeks instead since we haven't been back out west since we moved home from Wyoming in 2015. If I can swing the time away from work and the funds, we still may try to do it later in the summer as a shorter getaway. Gotta have options!

I work in BR, but am around G'Town a good bit, so I'll keep an eye out for you. Probably see you at Wally World since that seems to be the Ascension Parish meet and greet spot nowadays, lol.

JonathanMColeman

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hello Everyone. I am new to OLB and to over landing in general. I live in Baton Rouge, LA. Glad to be apart of a community.
Rig:
(daliy driver)
1995 Ford F150 XLT Single Cab Long wheelbase 2wd open diff 5.0L 302 (profile pic)

Mike P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Mike
Member #

You just going for the day? We are planning to go up to talledega national Forest but if the weather keeps us out I might tag along with you.
Planning on day tripping through with a lunch. If we find a camp site could turn into an overnighter. Just got my winch installed... Pretty much unstoppable!

rgk401

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
First Name
King
Last Name
King
Member #

I'm new to this club and obviously this is my first post. Live in Sulphur, Lousiana just west of Lake Charles where there is only marsh. Know guys in LC who rock crawl Sicily Island in central La, and I'm sure Kisatchie would be ok. Only five hour drive to Austin area but if y'all do anything on the eastside of the state or even Ms/Al just let me know. Like to camp, ride, and with college football starting, will be going to some games which includes tailgating. Take care.
Sicily Island is a very nice off road area. Nice camping,clean area and very fun. I did levels 1,2, and some 3’s in a stock JL Wrangler sport. I highly recommend this area for someone looking to camp and do a little playing

Reactions: Leeaekdb

Nimrod

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey everyone. I live in Baton Rouge. I have done some week long trips through Texas and through Tennessee. But I’ve been interested in doing some shorter over nighters around this area. I have spent a good bit of time in the homochitto forest and know it pretty well. I’d love to do some group rides in the desoto area or kisachie if anyone is interested.

Reactions: Cwilli17 and rgk401

Nimrod

Rank 0

Traveler I

Same here...been hitting Gatlinberg a lot over the years and several trips out west, but would like something closer for a weekend. My oldest son is going to LaTech in Ruston, so I've seen that north of I-10 can be nice, the entire state isnt swamp. How is Homochitto?
Homochitto is pretty cool. There are a couple of places that I know of to camp, a little lake area that’s not really kept up, and some really big ridges. I need to go up there and explore more of the forest with the intention of camping instead of looking at it in a hunting point of view.

Reactions: rgk401

Jimmy Dale

Rank II
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Greenwell Springs, Central, LA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

Hey everyone. I live in Baton Rouge. I have done some week long trips through Texas and through Tennessee. But I’ve been interested in doing some shorter over nighters around this area. I have spent a good bit of time in the homochitto forest and know it pretty well. I’d love to do some group rides in the desoto area or kisachie if anyone is interested.
Hey I’m in Baton Rouge also. I’m down for some trips.

Reactions: grubworm and rgk401

rgk401

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
First Name
King
Last Name
King
Member #

Hey I’m in Baton Rouge also. I’m down for some trips.
Lets get together and plan something. I haven’t been that many places so I don’t know where to go to. Iv been to Sicily Island off road park but that’s more for jeeps or a buggy. I’m interested in going camping and exploring the National Forest Areas.