Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

My name is Chris. I live in Hattiesburg MS, and it didn’t take me long to find that there is not a whole lot of us here in the Gulf South. I’ve done quite a bit of looking on OB and there doesn’t appear to be a thread dedicated to the Gulf South so I decided to make one!

This thread is dedicated to bringing OB members in the Gulf South together, this is a place for new member introductions in our area, information on trails, meets, and rides, pictures of your rig, maps, general discussions, adventures, etc.

Like I said there aren’t that many of us yet so if you are from the Gulf South “sub” this thread so we can keep it alive!

Last edited:

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I’ll start things off!

I went on a last minute ride this afternoon to the Desoto National Forest near Ovett and found a decent network of dirt roads and trails. I also found the chicasawhay WMA! I barely scratched the surface at Desoto so I’m sure we can find some cool stuff out there if we look hard enough!

Here’s a few pics of the trip!

2B7C4161-2777-4AF6-94A2-28ABD06D3345.jpeg BD6A419F-FF8E-4672-9549-F97EA4D37A7E.jpeg C509ED82-4E6F-4D4D-9C69-16C667A83761.jpeg 0EE73309-0B8F-4DDA-B508-7169F2385269.jpeg 11800F20-8876-4B29-AD3B-5733AF7FF9B0.jpeg 7D974722-36E7-4414-984B-5B40164E11F2.jpeg 962DC159-DA80-4CA5-AC59-EB98F30708C1.jpeg

flynlow8740

Rank 0

Contributor I

Louin
I live in Bay Springs. I’m interested in overlanding, but have never done much. I just stumbled across this thread and joined so I could see the pictures. I hope to learn some places to go and see people doing it close to home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cwilli17

Crawgator

Rank I

Contributor III

Howdy! I’m in central Ms. Close to Jackson. We are deciding on our next overland rig but for now use our Ural Patrol sidecar rig.

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Howdy! I’m in central Ms. Close to Jackson. We are deciding on our next overland rig but for now use our Ural Patrol sidecar rig.
Wow those things are awesome! Haha
I would personally recommend anything with a Toyota badge on it for your next one!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm a van & off-road trailer guy who base-camps a lot, and come through Mississippi fairly often, from Southhaven to Magnolia and all over the place up and down 61 on the west side of the state, and have been hankering to explore Homochitto and Bienville Nat'l Forests, as well as DeSoto, as I've not done much over that side of Mississippi. Also interested in finding old river roads along the Mississippi.

If you don't mind an old roaddude coming along sometimes, I'd love to be part of a few small group excursions exploring Mississippi.

roaddude_van-xv2-sondors-readylights_bigbend-0804.jpg

roaddude_xv2camp-2.jpg

Last edited:

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I'm a van & off-road trailer guy who base-camps a lot, and come through Mississippi fairly often, from Southhaven to Magnolia and all over the place up and down 61 on the west side of the state, and have been hankering to explore Homochitto and Bienville Nat'l Forests, as well as DeSoto, as I've not done much over that side of Mississippi. Also interested in finding old river roads along the Mississippi.

If you don't mind an old roaddude coming along sometimes, I'd love to be part of a few small group excursions exploring Mississippi.

View attachment 44590

View attachment 44592
That trailer is sweet man.
I would love to meet up and run some trails and what not let me know when your in town!

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

That trailer is sweet man.
I would love to meet up and run some trails and what not let me know when your in town!
Well, cool! Not sure when it will be, as my next few little trips will be up here in New England probably, but I've been itching to go down to the swamp lands of Okefenokee along the FL/GA border, and it would make sense to include southern Mississippi in that trip. I'll definitely keep you in mind, and we can use my trailer as base camp if we decide to stay out a few days.

G.C. Gordon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Odessa, Texas, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Gordon
Member #

I’ll start things off!

I went on a last minute ride this afternoon to the Desoto National Forest near Ovett and found a decent network of dirt roads and trails. I also found the chicasawhay WMA! I barely scratched the surface at Desoto so I’m sure we can find some cool stuff out there if we look hard enough!

Here’s a few pics of the trip!

View attachment 44552 View attachment 44553 View attachment 44554 View attachment 44555 View attachment 44556 View attachment 44557 View attachment 44558
Did you find the middle eastern compounds? We’ve been out there a few times. I don’t suggest going during hunting season. Way to many people running up and down the roads.

O.B. #4388

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Did you find the middle eastern compounds? We’ve been out there a few times. I don’t suggest going during hunting season. Way to many people running up and down the roads.

O.B. #4388
I found some pipe line tanks and burn off areas if that is what you are talking about. if not ill have to get you to elaborate a bit haha.

I did see an 18 wheeler going out to the tanks and a truck following him, other than that i only saw one other truck out there, but definitely understand what your saying about hunting season.

your pretty close to hattiesburg you know of anywhere else to go in the area?

Reactions: Road

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Im planning on picking another spot to run some dirt roads and what not on Sunday morning with a buddy if anyone is interested in meeting up.

G.C. Gordon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Odessa, Texas, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Gordon
Member #

I found some pipe line tanks and burn off areas if that is what you are talking about. if not ill have to get you to elaborate a bit haha.

I did see an 18 wheeler going out to the tanks and a truck following him, other than that i only saw one other truck out there, but definitely understand what your saying about hunting season.

your pretty close to hattiesburg you know of anywhere else to go in the area?
Not really, we mostly take day trips around the area right now. My Land Cruiser isn’t far enough along to get far from home.

O.B. #4388

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Hi all! I’m planning another trip out by camp Shelby to do some more exploring on Sunday, Feb. 18th. We should have about 4 vehicles meeting up that morning. If anyone is interested let me know. Still working out exact time and route.

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

I live west of Baton Rouge and would be interssted in some group trips and overnighters. I am new to overlanding but have made several trips to Kisatchie National Forest to wheel and camp. Im working the weekend of the 18th but I am off every other weekend.