Traction Board Review

• HTML tutorial

Which boards are best for your overlanding style?

• Total voters

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

I was debating between Smittybilt Element Ramps and Maxtrax for a while. But there were too many reviews where the Smittys cracked. @Mademan925 review confirmed what I wanted, a flexible durable board. Got 4 pieces and got to use them this weekend and they did great. I put the video of me using them for the very first time on Instagram. Vdawg1115. Crawled right up

Attachments

Mademan925

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

discovery bay, ca 94505
Member #

I was debating between Smittybilt Element Ramps and Maxtrax for a while. But there were too many reviews where the Smittys cracked. @Mademan925 review confirmed what I wanted, a flexible durable board. Got 4 pieces and got to use them this weekend and they did great. I put the video of me using them for the very first time on Instagram. Vdawg1115. Crawled right up
Awesome photo. I was going to purchase the smittybilts to include in the test but most of the reviews said they break with scared me away from them.

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Thanks for the review. Great to hear that buying something other than the "leading brand" is not throwing money away as I've heard. Cheers, Walt

Reactions: blkzilla

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I used my Maxtrax twice this week on the OBX, once for myself and once for others. DO NOT SPIN YOUR TIRES is true with these. Not much damage, they worked well. The folks watching me use them asked about the and seemed impressed with the idea of them. Satisfied.

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

@Mademan925, Thanks for the reviews. I've got a set of Maxsa sitting in my amazon cart, might be pulling the trigger on these. For the price I think they are the best deal. Not sure if the Maxtrax is worth the extra $.

VanDubs

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntersville, NC
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FYV
Thanks for the review. I am stuck between Maxtrax and Treds. I am having a problem justifying the cost when I can almost buy 2 sets of the treds. Any more info/reviews on the Treds?

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

@Mademan925 Thank you this comparison. Check out this offering from Blue Ridge Overland Go Treads. http://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/GoTreads-Traction-Mat-p/gt9b.htm
I have two set of the folding go treads you mention. They have been used a couple of times to extract others and they work great. I got mine for around $100 shipped to my door. 1/3 the price of maxtrax and works just as well and takes up less space. Buy maxtrax if you have to keep up with the jones'. Buy one of the other off brands of you want something that works and you don't care about other people's opinions.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

I have two set of the folding go treads you mention. They have been used a couple of times to extract others and they work great. I got mine for around $100 shipped to my door. 1/3 the price of maxtrax and works just as well and takes up less space. Buy maxtrax if you have to keep up with the jones'. Buy one of the other off brands of you want something that works and you don't care about other people's opinions.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app
Cool, thanks for the insight!

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
I bought a pair of X-Bull Traction Tracks from E-Bay for $79. They look pretty good. Stack well, and are rated at 20,000 lbs. just like MaxTrax. However they are black which will make them a little harder to find in deep mud. I have not tried them out as I have not gotten stuck yet. But, for the price, (they also come with a carrying case) I had to get them.

Reactions: Yoye0513 and 9Mike2

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

I bought a pair of X-Bull Traction Tracks from E-Bay for $79. They look pretty good. Stack well, and are rated at 20,000 lbs. just like MaxTrax. However they are black which will make them a little harder to find in deep mud. I have not tried them out as I have not gotten stuck yet. But, for the price, (they also come with a carrying case) I had to get them.
Thanks for the link. I like that they have blue and red as well. Look like they have 3 different types of traction tracks. 1 looks similar to Maxsa/Maxtrax and one looks similar to Treds. The 3rd looks like a folding type.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Great how-to video on using these and showing us what works/not works. Seeing is believing and I must admit that after watching the various traction devices being used I feel different about purchasing a pair or 2. Much cheaper, quicker and easier to use than a winch. I am impressed and will be looking hard at the different brands to see which one will be riding on my 4Runner rooftop. The brighter colors make sense, too.

TractionJack

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm a little late to the thread but great review by @Mademan925 as it's finally good to have some unbiased points on the traction boards available in the market. Everyone's go to default is MaxTrax and second runner up is TRED and Maxsa so we're working on building a name on the Traction Jack side of things as another option being one of the quality, stoutier, and compact options.

If you aren't following Traction Jack on Instagram already or on Facebook go check it out and see how the product differs from the other options on the market. www.facebook.com/tractionjackllc and www.instagram.com/tractionjack

The one standout feature is that you can fold them out of the way for storage and still mount them if wanted. Just the other day we recovered a Penske moving truck out of a sandy pit and believe it or not we do business with the Border Patrol/Department of Homeland Security. Anyways, if anyone has any Traction Jack specific questions please don't hesitate to reach out and we will also be at Overland Expo West in a few weeks if anyone wants to stop by and chat :) Cheers!

Reactions: Mademan925

Mademan925

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

discovery bay, ca 94505
Member #

I'm a little late to the thread but great review by @Mademan925 as it's finally good to have some unbiased points on the traction boards available in the market. Everyone's go to default is MaxTrax and second runner up is TRED and Maxsa so we're working on building a name on the Traction Jack side of things as another option being one of the quality, stoutier, and compact options.

If you aren't following Traction Jack on Instagram already or on Facebook go check it out and see how the product differs from the other options on the market. www.facebook.com/tractionjackllc and www.instagram.com/tractionjack

The one standout feature is that you can fold them out of the way for storage and still mount them if wanted. Just the other day we recovered a Penske moving truck out of a sandy pit and believe it or not we do business with the Border Patrol/Department of Homeland Security. Anyways, if anyone has any Traction Jack specific questions please don't hesitate to reach out and we will also be at Overland Expo West in a few weeks if anyone wants to stop by and chat :) Cheers!
See you at expo. I'll be in the relentless fabrication booth.

Reactions: TractionJack

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

Having a small rig, I decided to go with Traction Jack.

The folding feature was the clincher for me. They are far easier to store inside. They are easier to get under the rig and I don't worry about them smacking my sills when the tire first grabs traction.

Folded, they should handle short bridging (over a rut). Unfolded, they are longer than any standard traction boards.

They are surprisingly heavy and seem very robust. If you melt off a nub, you can drill a pilot hole and screw in a short sheet metal screw. The screw head is now a non-melting nub.

Folded, the TJ can be used as a jack platform to keep the jack from sinking into soft ground. Stack two for more height.

I used strapping tape to reinforce the factory cardboard box for internal storage. The TJs easily fit inside my small roof rack for external storage. I plan on fabbing some brackets to mount on the roof rack when that is the preferred carry option.

Now, I just need to get stuck. ;-)

edune1.jpg

Last edited:

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHZ939
I thought I was so darn clever with my Traction Jack saw horses until I saw the cooler support photo above. Love the portability of the Traction Jacks even though I run a 5th Gen 4Runner. No interest in loading up my roof for now, so cargo space is at a premium. I've used them as a jack pad, vehicle leveler for sleeping, sawhorse and bridge. Funny since I bought them after being stuck badly in the mud. I hope it is like carrying an umbrella when the forecast threatens rain.

[Added] Failed to mention that I removed the stock wheels and tires and added BFG KO2s AND took some training (duh) to better handle the situations I plan to encounter.

Our brains ought to be much stronger than our gear!

Last edited:

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I'm a little late to the thread but great review... Anyways, if anyone has any Traction Jack specific questions please don't hesitate to reach out and we will also be at Overland Expo West in a few weeks if anyone wants to stop by and chat :) Cheers!
I've got one. Based on the pictures, the boards look very similar to the ones I've seen in construction and utility applications as crane/bucket truck stabilizer pads. Is it the same or similar material just smaller?

Reactions: TractionJack