Sources and Style for Roof-top storage cases/boxes

• HTML tutorial

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
With the built-in hooks for bungee straps in use and either a ratchet strap or spider net over all of them...I get basically no movement from them even with some pretty good wheeling spots. I really actually forget they are up there except for low hanging stuff. If just on some fire roads or dirt trails I run with only the bungee in the hooks and have no worries.

Seems like making something to sell would be awful difficult since watch they mount to would be so different across the variety of rigs. Where I strap prolly wont work some, but other might think it is perfect. Unless you sold a fll kit with patform or basket included it will be tough.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Sorry, my tongue was shoved firmly in my cheek when I suggested selling the straps. I should have put a wink instead of a smiley. :wink:

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
Sorry, my tongue was shoved firmly in my cheek when I suggested selling the straps. I should have put a wink instead of a smiley. :wink:
Or maybe I coulda paid attention to the smile and not gone off half cocked like a teenager on prom night after a couple beers....;)
:smirkcat::yum::flushed::fearscream::smiley::grinning::blush:

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Three Plano Model 1819 Sportsman Storage Lockers arrived today. They fit perfectly in my Yakima LoadWarrior with the 18" extension. One of the cases was missing both wheels, so I sent off an email to Academy Sports asking for replacements.

Last edited:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Those look bigger than I expected! ...or maybe the car is smaller than I think :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Steve, I love the set up. I also have a Loadwarrior Roof Rack on my FZJ80, and I was wondering how the ARB awning was attached to it. were the mounts extra or included with awning? I hope to get one next year.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I need to get some more totes, I actually haven't put my Plano one up there to see how it fits....My rack is 76in long by 44in wide..It is actually a pretty big rack (pun intended) lol

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Steve, I love the set up. I also have a Loadwarrior Roof Rack on my FZJ80, and I was wondering how the ARB awning was attached to it. were the mounts extra or included with awning? I hope to get one next year.
Thanks! No mounts come with the awning. Only the fasteners. I went a somewhat expensive route mounting my ARB awning to the Yakima LoadWarrior. I use a pair of Fourtreks Modular Awning Mounts (The other pair are for my 32" LED light bar) http://fourtreks.com/modular_awning_mounts.html

You are supposed to use three for the 2500 awning, but I've used 2 other brand awning mounts on my kayak/bike rack setup and it has been fine, and I just traveled 7700 miles with this setup without problems. I have them at the extreme ends of the extended LoadWarrior.

Here's a different angle from their web page.

Luke machines these himself in batches, so the price is high compared to mass produced or cast parts from China. But do a Google Image search for fortress and see all the serious off-road application folks are using them for. They'll never fail on you.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Three Plano Model 1819 Sportsman Storage Lockers arrived today. One of the cases was missing both wheels, so I sent off an email to Academy Sports asking for replacements.
I discovered that my email went to a send-only address, so I was in a chat yesterday with Academy Sports. No problem at all, they'll send out a pair of replacement wheels to me. Today I got a call from them. No replacement wheels available. Would it be OK if they sent me an entire new case, instead? It cost more than the old one is worth to send it back, so I'll have a spare non-rolling case to use, too. Way above and beyond service from Academy Sports!

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

You guys are going to get me in trouble before Christmas. I've been looking for an Army Pelican Tool box. :0)

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

I returned my 1819 cases to walmart today and bought the 1919 cases they had for the same price. I really disliked the hinge on the 1819 cases. They kept coming apart, and were generally just a pain in the ass. The 1919's lids come completely off, which I like better. I have a write up comparing a few different Plano boxes with pictures, I just have not had time to finish it yet. When I do, I'll post it.

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
I got 3 more of the 1819 on the way. I looked at the ones at walmart, but for near double the price with shipping I could not justify them since the 1819 have worked so well for years.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I discovered that my email went to a send-only address, so I was in a chat yesterday with Academy Sports. No problem at all, they'll send out a pair of replacement wheels to me. Today I got a call from them. No replacement wheels available. Would it be OK if they sent me an entire new case, instead? It cost more than the old one is worth to send it back, so I'll have a spare non-rolling case to use, too. Way above and beyond service from Academy Sports!
This keeps getting better. Customer service this good is rare, and twice on the same item is unheard of. Since Academy Sports so generously offered to replace the entire case with the missing wheels, and having me just keep the defective one, I decided to write to Plano to see if I could buy a pair of spare wheels. I explained how I ended up with a case sans wheels. They wrote back offering to send free replacements. I wrote back again explaining that the case had already been replaced at the vendor's cost, and that this was just a free spare, so it wouldn't really be right to get free wheels for a case I was already compensated for. They wrote back "No problem, send us your address." How can you say no to that? Great customer service from both companies!

@administrator Can this thread and THIS THREAD be merged, or move my posts #32 and #37 to the other thread, or the Plano stuff all moved to the Plano thread and move it to the gear forum? Thanks

Last edited:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Not that this is a complaint, I ordered two. First one arrived last Saturday, second arrived today, Tuesday. Not sure why. Still, free shipping from Georgia to California?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I guess since I was the OP, I can change / edit the thread title, so I changed it to more accurately reflect the discussion that is going on. It took a turn from where it started for sure! Keep the ideas coming!

Dan.

Reactions: Christian Schrader