Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I received the second of two Plano 1819 cases yesterday, so I wanted to come up with a way to quickly and safely secure these to the roof rack.
I have an old-school conn-ferr rack with six inch high sides so plenty of ways to attach things.
I used 1 inch polyester webbing with aluminium strap binders as well as plastic quick clips on the sides to make a custom, dedicated strap for these.

uploadfromtaptalk1447268224846.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1447268293493.jpg

The idea is that whether I need to take the boxes off the roof or not, I can access the contents without too much trouble, and it's quick and easy to secure.

uploadfromtaptalk1447268466585.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1447268567917.jpg

I have other things I put up there, the hi-lift goes on the passenger side, a shovel gets strapped on the drivers side, all within the rack. I should have plenty of room for what goes up there so far.

I'm interested in any feedback or experiences anyone has had with gear on the roof. What goes up in the boxes will be the lightest stuff I can pack, not recovery gear or parts that tend to be heavier.

Dan

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ethernectar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA
Member #

Over the last ten years or more I've used and abused cases of all nature. It started with some Pelican cases, and that was fine for a long time. They're easily available and if you shop you can find good prices on them (I used to buy from Cases4Less.com but that site is now the parent company - Nalpak.com). I haul cameras, equipment, guns, props and all sorts of gear all over the Western US unless I have to fly, so its not unusual for me to have a mix of hard cases depending on the trip. Full disclosure - I'm the Creative Director at 5.11 Tactical, and we sell hard cases co-produced by SKB. They are better materials and lighter than the Pelicans but I do often travel with a mix of old and new cases.

All that said, a couple of years ago I saw and handled an old Zarges case that had been used ALOT. Half covered in old beat up stickers, scratches and dings. It was effing beautiful. So I found one used on CL and shortly after that ordered a couple shorter ones directly from Zarges. They aren't cheap - but worth every penny and here's my top three reasons: 1. They are VERY light - pick up an empty one with a couple fingers. 2. They protect the contents - they're ATA rated and IP54. 3. They're simply excellent. Great conversation piece or nod from a fellow adventurer who appreciates gear.

I've cleared out a bunch of my old plastic cases and will probably add another couple Zarges cases for hauling camp gear as my setup evolves. Right now I have three, one taller one is basically my camp box and contains the campground basics. A second shorter one is my pantry for dry and canned foods. The third is another shorty version and contains a more minimal kitchen for my FJ40, which is inherently limited on storage space.

Hope this is useful, or at least worth reading. But it does need some pics...

campKitchen_2013.jpg
Camp kitchen setup from 2013ish. The Coleman stove took a terminal fall and has since been replaced with a Camp Partner Stove.

fj40_zargesGear.jpg
#IzzyFJ40 loaded to the gills.

tundraLoaded.jpg
Typical location photoshoot loadout in my Tundra. By the time it was fully packed, there wasn't room for a gallon jug of water, lol.

zarges_dusk.jpg
Zarges case first time out, and I love the Goal Zero stuff!

zarges.jpg
Just a little beauty shot.

zargesyetitruckvault.jpg
Tundra loaded for a quick overnight trip sometime in 2014.

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

So I'm debating between the rubbermaid action Packers and the front runner outfitters wolf packs. They are both stackable which I really like. I want to have two permanent boxes in the back to keep my recovery gear,spare parts, fluids etc. Does anyone have experience with either of these or any input on other storage boxes you guys are using.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Action Packers are pretty hard to beat for the price, particularly if used as storage inside your vehicle; they of course don't have a gasket to seal them. I've used them for a varity of tasks over the years and will continue to do so.

Reactions: Michael

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

Action Packers are pretty hard to beat for the price, particularly if used as storage inside your vehicle; they of course don't have a gasket to seal them. I've used them for a varity of tasks over the years and will continue to do so.
What size action packers are you using?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
So I'm debating between the rubbermaid action Packers and the front runner outfitters wolf packs. They are both stackable which I really like. I want to have two permanent boxes in the back to keep my recovery gear,spare parts, fluids etc. Does anyone have experience with either of these or any input on other storage boxes you guys are using.
I've used Action Packers and Plano Cases. Test the Action Packers in store. We had one malformed. Wouldn't shut.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

I have several Action Packers that I have been using for about 15 years. I think mine are 24 gallon and they are extremely handy. They are easy to carry around and can carry a heavy load. The size is about as big as you want so that you don't load them so heavy they need two people. We used one as a chuck box and one for misc. items such as lanterns, tarps and tools. While they aren't quite strong enough to uses as a bench for a large adult they will take a decent amount of weight.

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

We use 4 wolf packs. Really awesome units. I've had two on the roof in a downpour and everything stayed dry even though there are no gaskets. We keep two in the rig like you plan to. When you stack them they interlock not sure the action packs do that.

Reactions: r_vdb

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

We use 4 wolf packs. Really awesome units. I've had two on the roof in a downpour and everything stayed dry even though there are no gaskets. We keep two in the rig like you plan to. When you stack them they interlock not sure the action packs do that.
That's why I'm really leaning towards getting 2 wolf packs. They stack great and look very well built. I also like the design of them 90° angles so I can use every inch. That's one thing I don't like about the action packers. The corners are round which takes away from available holding power.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
What size action packers are you using?
I can't rember off the top of my head but the 2 largest sizes I think. Wait, I'll just walk out the garage and messure them for you..... LxDxh = 1.) 34"x20"x17" Hinged lid with red closure opposite the hinged side. 2.) 26"x18"x17" Removable lid with red closure on 2 sides. Also, I think you mentioned stacking. Personally, I wouldn't stack Action Packers. For storage in a garage, stacking would be fine. Although they do stack, in a vehicle I believe they would slide. Let me know if you have other questions.

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

I can't rember off the top of my head but the 2 largest sizes I think. Wait, I'll just walk out the garage and messure them for you..... LxDxh = 1.) 34"x20"x17" Hinged lid with red closure opposite the hinged side. 2.) 26"x18"x17" Removable lid with red closure on 2 sides. Also, I think you mentioned stacking. Personally, I wouldn't stack Action Packers. For storage in a garage, stacking would be fine. Although they do stack, in a vehicle I believe they would slide. Let me know if you have other questions.
Thank you for checking. Those dimensions are exactly what I need I just would really like to stack them. My future goal is to build a single drawer system taking up about half the width of my cargo area. Than I wanted my fridge
/cooler to take up the other half. And stack two storage boxes on top of the drawer platform. That way on trips I can just pull the boxes out of storage stack them and be on my way without worrying about having to tie them down. I think that's the biggest perk about the wolf packs. I also found some mounts on Google to stack action packers but they cost 4 times the price of the action packers.

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have four FrontRunner boxes. I like stuff that is square as possible and stackable. The Container Stores sells a similar product that is not as rugged and clear but good for food storage. I also use one for clothing so when I am camping in campgrounds all of my clothes don't end up stinking like smoke. Here's a little write up I did.

http://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/storage-solutions/

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

I have four FrontRunner boxes. I like stuff that is square as possible and stackable. The Container Stores sells a similar product that is not as rugged and clear but good for food storage. I also use one for clothing so when I am camping in campgrounds all of my clothes don't end up stinking like smoke. Here's a little write up I did.

http://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/storage-solutions/
I also love things to be square and maximize as much room as possible. I think I'm going to pick up some front runner boxes on Friday. Thanks for the input.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I have several wolf boxes and the smaller cub boxes. I like the way they inter-lock and stack. I use them for everything from tools to food but there are occasions when their size is limiting. They only come in one size to my knowledge but you can get either high or flat lids. Also great for sitting on. You can also get a whole heap of accessories for them; dividers and storage bags, etc.
I also have a selection of 'Really useful boxes' of different sizes and find these great too.