Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

After watching Jillian Rebekah's Tacoma walk-around I want a hard shell first aid kit like the one she has mounted to her truck cage.

I started looking at threads and searching Amazon for first aid kits and hard shell cases. I found Pelican cases to be the ones that seemed sturdy enough to hold up on the exterior of a trail rig. However at $50 they were a bit pricey for my first attempt.

As I was walking through Tractor Supply Company I found this case for $9 on clearance. It feels very strong and it has the gasket and channel to make the case waterproof. IMG_20180225_134210.jpg

So, from here, I had my wife (she's a nurse) help me gather items from home combined with items from my camping kit to put this together.
IMG_20180225_134338.jpg
IMG_20180225_135039.jpg
Here are some more pics of the case itself.
IMG_20180225_134223.jpg
IMG_20180225_134239.jpg
All said and done I'm into this kit for around $30 which is much better than $200. Overlanding doesn't have to be expensive!
Get outdoors!

Attachments

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
After watching Jillian Rebekah's Tacoma walk-around I want a hard shell first aid kit like the one she has mounted to her truck cage.

I started looking at threads and searching Amazon for first aid kits and hard shell cases. I found Pelican cases to be the ones that seemed sturdy enough to hold up on the exterior of a trail rig. However at $50 they were a bit pricey for my first attempt.

As I was walking through Tractor Supply Company I found this case for $9 on clearance. It feels very strong and it has the gasket and channel to make the case waterproof. View attachment 49087

So, from here, I had my wife (she's a nurse) help me gather items from home combined with items from my camping kit to put this together.
View attachment 49088
View attachment 49089
Here are some more pics of the case itself.
View attachment 49090
View attachment 49091
All said and done I'm into this kit for around $30 which is much better than $200. Overlanding doesn't have to be expensive!
Get outdoors!
Nicely done.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Too many of us overlook our Med Packs and is the one thing that could save lives and/or just make the trip a little more comfortable. We should all do a total inventory of our Med Packs before every trip, toss and replace the out of date meds and always be adding to our packs no matter how big they get. Bottom line, if you can think of it; it will happen when you are the least prepared.....

CavGeek

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ. 85027
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Reiner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ZWC
Service Branch
U.S.Army
Nice, I like the external mounted hard cases, but I'm not certain If I'm going to go that route as I have a soft case that permanently located on the back of the passenger seat (I can reach it from driver's seat, in fact everyone in the car can get to it) That hard case is nice, But I'd suggest a unmistakable marking, even just a white field with a red cross, Testor's paint would do the trick. You know what and where it is, but what if you had to direct someone else to grab your kit in an actual emergency? If I do a hard case it will most likely be a similar hard case with the Red cross and located similar to Jillian Rebekah's setup, I do like the near instant external access.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Nice, I like the external mounted hard cases, but I'm not certain If I'm going to go that route as I have a soft case that permanently located on the back of the passenger seat (I can reach it from driver's seat, in fact everyone in the car can get to it) That hard case is nice, But I'd suggest a unmistakable marking, even just a white field with a red cross, Testor's paint would do the trick. You know what and where it is, but what if you had to direct someone else to grab your kit in an actual emergency? If I do a hard case it will most likely be a similar hard case with the Red cross and located similar to Jillian Rebekah's setup, I do like the near instant external access.
It does have a red first aid cross on it now. Amazon didn't get it to me in time for my original post.

Reactions: CavGeek

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
An important part of anyone’s personal first aid kit is also personal information. There is a chance you might not be concious and need someone to give you aid. I would include a laminated sheet that includes blood type, allergies, emergency contacts, etc. It may sound silly but it’s invaluable information.

Great start!

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
@JackP

Totally agree that carrying certain items makes sense, even if you don’t know how to use them. I’m making a list of things to make videos for so that people are at least familiar with certain items. My only comment are the decompression needles. The proper ones are expensive and are not very effective. One study showed they weren’t properly positioned more than 80% of the time. There are better options in regards to placement than the 2nd intercostal space which is the current standard location. I carry them on the helicopter but wouldn’t use it in the back country on a trip unless the patient was pulseless and had chest trauma as a “I hope this works”.

For everyone, please either pm me or post up specific skills or topics you’d like to see videos for.

Chris.

JackP

Rank II

Advocate II

@JackP

Totally agree that carrying certain items makes sense, even if you don’t know how to use them. I’m making a list of things to make videos for so that people are at least familiar with certain items. My only comment are the decompression needles. The proper ones are expensive and are not very effective. One study showed they weren’t properly positioned more than 80% of the time. There are better options in regards to placement than the 2nd intercostal space which is the current standard location. I carry them on the helicopter but wouldn’t use it in the back country on a trip unless the patient was pulseless and had chest trauma as a “I hope this works”.

For everyone, please either pm me or post up specific skills or topics you’d like to see videos for.

Chris.
I always liked the 4th/5th intercostal space personally. And as far as effectiveness it treats a potentially life threatening condition so it's better than nothing!

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
@JackP

Ah I see your Schwartz is as big as mine!!

Yes the 4th/5th intercostal space is a superior location for needle decompression and what I will be demonstrating. I agree though, just try! When people are dying try anything. Little secret, we get to that point sometimes and the crazy ideas just sometimes not only work but become the new standard of care.