Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I have been to SERE twice and taken multiple SABC courses. I feel that, relative to most everyday folks and even weekend adventurers, I have an above average capacity to handle a medical emergency; I can emplace a nasopharyngeal tube, make a tourniquet, and perform CPR.

That said, I think most FAKs are tremendously overcomplicated. Other than a basic few comfort items like ibuprofen, claratin, and hydrocortisone, my FAK consists of three main components:

1) Gauze
2) Duct tape
3) Neosporin

With these three items, I--or most anyone, for that matter--can pretty easily control almost any bleeding, or splint a limb, all while avoiding infection. These are certainly not tools for permanent or even semi-permanent treatments, but they will keep someone alive and reasonably safe from any injury I'd have any business personally treating in the field.

I keep soap and towels in my vehicle as well. Oh, and I sometimes carry super glue, but mine needs replacing. It can be a simple, effective treatment for a bad cut on a finger.

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
$380 for that first aid kit?!?!?! It better come with a tiny doctor in there. That is silly...
I build my own kits most of the time so I don’t have any skin in the game but adding up the prices of this kit plus a little profit for them the price is in line with what it should be. Comprehensive kits are always pricey unfortunately.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
I would recommend getting something like the wilderness first aid kit from rescue essentials, and tagging on extras like chitosam / quickclot based on your skills and budget.

Wilderness First Aid is great training that directly applies to overlanding / camping type adventures, and is designed around being lightweight and compact, as well as teaching how to MacGuyver a medical situation until better treatment becomes available.

It's the same training many emergency groups like FEMA/ CERT offer their volunteers for disaster situations, so it's no joke but also not beyond average folks.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using OB Talk mobile app

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Thanks for the great tips and advice on how you came up with your med kit @Hank Outdoors, I think it is crucial that everyone who goes out on any adventure should have some form of a med kit for either a quick day trip or extended haul. Another thing I find useful is to have a separate smaller bag along with the main med kit to take with you in case you go on hikes and would be too much to carry a full med box. We keep ours inside of our jeep in a plastic tool box that's easy to carry but I have been thinking of potentially upgrading to a waterproof case.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Justin Lee

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pensacola, FL, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Lee
@JackP

Totally agree that carrying certain items makes sense, even if you don’t know how to use them. I’m making a list of things to make videos for so that people are at least familiar with certain items. My only comment are the decompression needles. The proper ones are expensive and are not very effective. One study showed they weren’t properly positioned more than 80% of the time. There are better options in regards to placement than the 2nd intercostal space which is the current standard location. I carry them on the helicopter but wouldn’t use it in the back country on a trip unless the patient was pulseless and had chest trauma as a “I hope this works”.

For everyone, please either pm me or post up specific skills or topics you’d like to see videos for.

Chris.
I would be willing to help you with these videos if you need anything. I am currently a US Army medic, EMT-B, and PALS certified. I despise NCD catheters, but I guess I wouldn't want someone putting a chest tube in me on an off-road adventure either. That's like getting Intra Osseous lines for fun, no thank you. Those NCD catheters get clogged so easily. We occasionally see 6-7 in a single person, because once they are in, they stay in until chest tube is complete. Better off buying a few NCD's, better safe than sorry, and some dang good communications with wonderful helicopter pilots.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Justin Lee

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pensacola, FL, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Lee
DO NOT FORGET your prescribed meds, blood pressure, insulin, auto injectors, nitro. Always beneficial to put a few in your first aid. Take Epi pens (check current recall info) for people with allergies. Familiarize yourself with crics and have the proper equipment to conduct one safely. It is a very small kit. Very well can save your life if having an allergic reaction and loosing your airway. Crics shouldn't be your first step, but not a bad thing to have in your "tool box". Or you can just take me on your adventures, problem solved. I volunteer.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
DO NOT FORGET your prescribed meds, blood pressure, insulin, auto injectors, nitro. Always beneficial to put a few in your first aid. Take Epi pens (check current recall info) for people with allergies. Familiarize yourself with crics and have the proper equipment to conduct one safely. It is a very small kit. Very well can save your life if having an allergic reaction and loosing your airway. Crics shouldn't be your first step, but not a bad thing to have in your "tool box". Or you can just take me on your adventures, problem solved. I volunteer.
This is magic right here, and surprisingly so many people don't really consider it.

I will also toss in having a few items to help out a fuzzy friend is a good idea if you happy to travel with any. They even make reasonably priced kits just for dogs that you can get, or just pull ideas from since many of the tools work for us too.

Reactions: Russell Peters

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I carry 2 first aid kits. The first is a basic trauma kit! As a EMT I have protocols I must follow, and they are only legal when I'm in my jurisdiction. If I do ANYTHING more than basic care away from my medical directors oversite I am practicing medicine without a license. So sorry no chest tubes or decompresson needles or airway adjunks...just the basic gear. If I have all the extra stuff then I'm tempted to use it.
My second bag is my family bag, it has all our medications and specific stuff for us. The separation keeps stuff from getting confused.
Also don't forget to inventory your kits regularly. Some stuff expires, and you keep somewhat familiar with what's in your bag.

Justin Lee

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pensacola, FL, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Lee
I carry 2 first aid kits. The first is a basic trauma kit! As a EMT I have protocols I must follow, and they are only legal when I'm in my jurisdiction. If I do ANYTHING more than basic care away from my medical directors oversite I am practicing medicine without a license. So sorry no chest tubes or decompresson needles or airway adjunks...just the basic gear. If I have all the extra stuff then I'm tempted to use it.
My second bag is my family bag, it has all our medications and specific stuff for us. The separation keeps stuff from getting confused.
Also don't forget to inventory your kits regularly. Some stuff expires, and you keep somewhat familiar with what's in your bag.
Very smart.

kevhes

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Manteca, ca
Member #

Ditch the cpr pocket mask. It’s a waste of space. Focus on good and consistent compressions.
And please, do not attempt a needle decompress unless you’ve been trained and I don’t mean 3 YouTube videos and an online forum instruction lol.

jerseyjeff

Rank 0

Traveler I

I know a lot of people that over look simple items like a tourniquet, quick clot, NPA or decompression needle because they are not trained to use them. Keep in mind that you may not know how to use one of those items but someone who may come across you may be trained.
In all of my first aid kits (I have a big expedition kit in a pelican box, and smaller kayak kit, hiking/day kit and ones in my minivan and tundra) I have a bunch of Israeli bandages, they are a sterile gauze pad paired with an ACE bandage and when deployed can supply well-aimed direct pressure directly on a wound while you are working on something else. The other things all the bigger kits have are tampons, and maxi pads, They are great at absorbing large amounts of fluids! The big kits also have cheap safety glasses.
Last big thing is to standardize kits of similar sizes. Just once I opened the minivan kit and discovered it was not packed like the truck kit, and now, fixed it. both kits have all the same bits.

I have had a WFR in the past and currently have WFA, I cannot say enough about the courses, a WFA can be picked up over a weekend (REI offers it for 265) and a WFR will set you back 6-800 bucks, and a full week, but, it totally changed my world.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding