Investor

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
First Name
Ozzie
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

It took a Village to get this Idiot and his trailer "Big Butt" to Nighthawk. To those that made the trip, I want to sincerely thank all of you for your help. You know this was a daily/hourly practice in teamwork, knowledge and shooting from the hip solutions to get me and the group going again. Just one example of many. Share if you have more
View attachment 159317View attachment 159318View attachment 159319View attachment 159320...View attachment 159321View attachment 159322View attachment 159323
Looks like a lot of fun

Reactions: Ubiety

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
Any war wounds/issues post trip? I

BTW Josh's kids were amazing
I had the bent trailer fender, trailer break-away battery that got ripped off and took a swim in the 3rd mud hole on Bethel ridge. Something in my kitchen tote got loose and mashed twinkies, olive oil, toothpicks, paper towels and mountain dew into an unbelievable gooey mess inside covering everything . A few exploded beers. Broken water jug. Bent trailer hitch bolt, and the jeep rear Diff won't unlock.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I had the bent trailer fender, trailer break-away battery that got ripped off and took a swim in the 3rd mud hole on Bethel ridge. Something in my kitchen tote got loose and mashed twinkies, olive oil, toothpicks, paper towels and mountain dew into an unbelievable gooey mess inside covering everything . A few exploded beers. Broken water jug. Bent trailer hitch bolt, and the jeep rear Diff won't unlock.
Ouch!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The Jeep was mostly unscathed, lots of mud and a lot of new pin stripes. Have washed her twice and vaccumed once. Still need to go through interior with a fine tooth comb... Lots of mud washed off of underbody... My gravel spot is now a WABDR mud hole :)

We started the trip having permission to get a roof rack and Julie is now interested in a trailer. She agrees that a Gladiator with RTT, like @Joshua Buss’ Tundra, might be ideal for hauling the family around. I am due for an oil change at dealership and they always make an offer on the my Jeep... Might be a real good time to swap for what I have wanted all along :)

Question - is there an auto parts store product that “fills” pinstripes in order to get the best offer possible out of a dealership? I’m sure these would all buff out but I don’t have a buffer and am not interested in learning that skill today.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Question - is there an auto parts store product that “fills” pinstripes in order to get the best offer possible out of a dealership? I’m sure these would all buff out but I don’t have a buffer and am not interested in learning that skill today.
Yes... look for Glazing Putty for the deeper scratches... light scratches can be taken out with different grits of liquid rubbing compound and a light touch of a DA Buffer.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I know a lot of people that Offroad tend to never wash their vehicles but putting on a good coat of wax a couple times a year will dramatically lower the amount of pinstripes you get in the long run .

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Man! Looks like you guys had an exciting trip!! Glad to see everyone made it out safely!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

The Jeep was mostly unscathed, lots of mud and a lot of new pin stripes. Have washed her twice and vaccumed once. Still need to go through interior with a fine tooth comb... Lots of mud washed off of underbody... My gravel spot is now a WABDR mud hole :)

We started the trip having permission to get a roof rack and Julie is now interested in a trailer. She agrees that a Gladiator with RTT, like @Joshua Buss’ Tundra, might be ideal for hauling the family around. I am due for an oil change at dealership and they always make an offer on the my Jeep... Might be a real good time to swap for what I have wanted all along :)

GregEigsti,
You might try getting a can of Turtle Wax, Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound. I have had good results getting some pinstripes cleaned up in the past, using this and some elbow grease! Vance.

Last edited:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Thanks for the kind words. It seemed like everyone played very nicely together on this trip. Yeah; somehow I did curse myself on this trip. I got a slow leak in a tire the second day (so I was running on my spare the rest of the trip), and the broken trailer leaf spring on the last day. Fortunately neither one kept me/us from finishing the WABDR, or from driving all the way back home. And it was a group effort fixing the trailer - it wasn't just me.

Les Schwab fixed the tire today. I guess it was a combination of dirt between the tire and rim (have no idea how that could have happened!), and a leaky valve stem. And new leaf springs, U-bolts, and spring shackle side-plates are on order (slightly heavier-duty springs in a four-leaf pack this time) for the trailer. Gotta get it all back together to lead the Old-School run up the WABDR in September (6-11 [maybe 12] Sep; check out the Rally Point for the Old-School run).

Was on the phone yesterday for well over an hour with FourWheeler Magazine. The were interviewing me because they want to do a five-page spread of my TJ and trailer in their November issue (that's what they told me anyways). I was part of their Overland Adventure East 2019 last year, and was pictured in a couple issues of FourWheeler afterwards. And you never know - I might even make the cover this time. The issue should be out the very end of September/October. Be on the lookout for it at your local newsstand (if you don't already subscribe).

View attachment 159723
armyRN,
I was supposed to be on the same trip with FourWheeler Magazine! I did not have the money to go after spending lots getting my Jeep to go and make the trip! That was a hard email to write to Rick Pewe’, saying I would not be able to make the trip! Hope you get your Overland setup featured in the mag! Vance.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
You missed a good time on the Overlanding Adventure East 2019. Too much time was taken with photo ops though, and not enough actual overlanding. But it ended at the Overland Expo East, and we were somehow considered vendors so we got discounts on purchases. And the Expo itself was fun.

So today I finished cleaning my TJ. Pulled the wheels and tires and cleaned out the rear brake drums, made sure no mud in/around the disc brake parts, and wiped down anything underneath I could reach. The only surprise I found was my passenger rear bump stop had come out of its pocket and was just laying inside the coil spring (I don't think it qualifies as carnage). I popped it back into place. And I was still finding mud clumps in places (there was a lot still on top of the tranny skid plate). I still need to check the control arm bushings, and figure out if I still have a shimmy at 55 now that all the mud is off the tires and rims causing them to possibly be unbalanced.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Talbotdw

This this picture on Bethel ridge at the about the last good mud hole? If so, it's the same spot where I tore off a valve stem on my first run through there.
If memory serves me right, this was at the second of three challenging ones. Also, my memory is not very good.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
My front skid plate got a little bent, took me all of 5 minutes to take it off, bend it back, and put it back on.

Does that count?
Found a big dent in my muffler yesterday. Also found the original trim pieces where the gas can was mounted; that is all restored to original now. Have been spending 2-3 hours a day cleaning the interior and exterior and am close to "pristine" again.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Half the memories of a trip like that come from mud falling into your face while working underneath your vehicle for years to come! Vance.

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
Found a big dent in my muffler yesterday. Also found the original trim pieces where the gas can was mounted; that is all restored to original now. Have been spending 2-3 hours a day cleaning the interior and exterior and am close to "pristine" again.
Trade that baby in!!! I'll be cleaning mine all weekend, then take it in for the rear Diff problem.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Trade that baby in!!! I'll be cleaning mine all weekend, then take it in for the rear Diff problem.
Yes trade the baby in... get that Gladiator you always wanted... and the trailer as well.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have worked my butt off and the JKU is pristine again. Cleaned the engine bay yesterday to remove any stark transitions between trashed on the WABDR and the clean exterior. Looks awesome! Waxed, pinstripes covered with stuff, exterior plastic trim “restored”. I could start in with the q-tips... ;) You don’t have to look hard to see that it has been used, but it looks awesome and loved :) If the Gladiator does not work out I’ll be happy driving it!

For those on the trip - Julie‘s dad is doing well, in rehab now. They “granted” him two weeks of rehab which ends this week. Julie and Joel are road tripping to help with his recovery on Friday. Been working to get her car ready for that...

Reactions: Hogman and reaver

Hogman

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Everett, WA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Balsley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRHS363
Update on the carnage. Took the Jeep to the Stealership today after pressure washing the underside extensively, letting it dry, and then still pulling 10 more pounds of dirt out of the under carriage. Got my first oil change and had the rear diff lock message looked at. Turns out it's not locked now. but still showing it, as previously it was locked. Diagnoses is bad sensor. They can't get a sensor, or Jeep won't let them tear apart the rear end to change the sensor, so I get a new rear axle assembly next week. Glad I didn't put axles and gears in it yet.