Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Good evening everybody. Thank you to everyone who could join the net tonight.
Despite network issues with Echolink we had a really interesting discussion on Software Defined Radio. My notes do not do justice to our discussion so I'll leave it to the group to decide if we should bring this topic up again when internet propagation is better.

Check-in's tonight:
K5TIN Shane - Net Control
N7PHY Ed - Backup Net Control
AB5JK Jimi
N9SAL David
W4FOZ Jeff
WD6TED Ted
WX5SKY Jon
KF4YLM Josh (VA repeater owner)
W8ILL Ole Man Will (Grits n Gravy Host)
KD5BUC Hugo (1st time check-in!)
VK2DY Robert (Australia)
WA4LPR Dennis
KN4E?? - Couldn't quite pull you in, very sorry.

Hope to catch everyone next Friday.
Best of luck to Field Day participants this weekend!
73 - N7PHY - Ed
Good evening everybody. Thank you to everyone who could join the net tonight.
Despite network issues with Echolink we had a really interesting discussion on Software Defined Radio. My notes do not do justice to our discussion so I'll leave it to the group to decide if we should bring this topic up again when internet propagation is better.

Check-in's tonight:
K5TIN Shane - Net Control
N7PHY Ed - Backup Net Control
AB5JK Jimi
N9SAL David
W4FOZ Jeff
WD6TED Ted
WX5SKY Jon
KF4YLM Josh (VA repeater owner)
W8ILL Ole Man Will (Grits n Gravy Host)
KD5BUC Hugo (1st time check-in!)
VK2DY Robert (Australia)
WA4LPR Dennis
KN4E?? - Couldn't quite pull you in, very sorry.

Hope to catch everyone next Friday.
Best of luck to Field Day participants this weekend!
73 - N7PHY - Ed
I'd definitely like to see this topic pop up again in the future. In the meantime, I'll be doing my own research because it's extremely interesting.

@ru108 can you provide a link to the SDR hardware that you're using?

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Google Airspy HF+. That’s the dongle. It’s more expensive than most but I’ve always been of the kind that you get what you pay for. As for the software, I’m currently using SDR Console V3.

Reactions: 12poundtest

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Roger that. I’ll be listing for your club’s call.

logicalrock

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Parker, Colorado, United States
First Name
Will
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HKJ
Service Branch
USMC
Is this this a thing? I don't see many comments on here? I am a new licencee and would love to have the learning opportunity!

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Is this this a thing? I don't see many comments on here? I am a new licencee and would love to have the learning opportunity!
Most of the conversations happen during the nets. This thread is mostly for recaps, topic suggestions, the odd question that was forgotten during the net and to remind folks about the nets each week as well as what the topic is going to be.

Congrats on the license! You’re more than welcome to join us each Friday evening. The first Friday of each month is dedicated to a Q&A for new hams, so be sure to drop in on July 5th and we’ll try to answer any questions you may have and, hopefully, get you pointed in the right direction. Ham radio is a DEEP rabbit hole and we have folks of all license classes that will help you dig deeper, lol.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Forgot to add

1730 hrs Pacific/2030 hrs Eastern on the USA Grits and Gravy node. You can download the app for your phone and/or your computer. Just google EchoLink and it’ll pop up.

logicalrock

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Parker, Colorado, United States
First Name
Will
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HKJ
Service Branch
USMC
There will be a weekly NET for all Overland Bound members who have a valid Ham license. This will be on Echolink conference node 591550 (USA-GNG), DMR talk group 1137550 and Allstar 41130 every Friday Night at 5:30pm PST

This is the Radio that I have ordered for my truck! Hopefully it comes off back-order soon! This is the FTM-400-XDR correct?

Reactions: Jeep backroads

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Ordered it from Gigparts and they just overnight shipped it to me, so it actually came in yesterday!
Awesome! Yaesu is struggling to keep up with the demand for that radio because it really is that great. Glad to hear your wait wasn't too bad at all.

Hope to see you on the NET tomorrow night. :grinning:

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone.
I appologize for repeating myself; I forget there are a couple of threads dedicated to the net and don't want to miss anyone.

I'll be your net control tomorrow evening for the Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net. It's open topic night so feel free to throw a topic out there for the group. For my part, I'd like to hear about any overland adventures you have made this summer or plan to make soon.

Look forward to checking in with everyone.

73! - Ed

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I need to check my headphones I have been using after the issue last week. If nothing else I will just be listening in.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
New router and a different computer this week, so I’ll try to get in early for a mic check. Brought an old Alienware gaming system back from the dead to use with my HF rig and SDR since SDR Console V3 was overloading my laptop. Hopefully I got all the demons exorcised from it.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
New router and a different computer this week, so I’ll try to get in early for a mic check. Brought an old Alienware gaming system back from the dead to use with my HF rig and SDR since SDR Console V3 was overloading my laptop. Hopefully I got all the demons exorcised from it.
Awesome! I'll be on early then.

Reactions: ru108

John R

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alexandria KY USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Rodarte
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6IWV
Hey, one of you SME on HAM nets. For those of us that dont have a digital radio. Can a net be set up on a repeater like the Winn repeater system.
KM6IWV
John

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Hey, one of you SME on HAM nets. For those of us that dont have a digital radio. Can a net be set up on a repeater like the Winn repeater system.
KM6IWV
John
Short answer, yes. Longer answer, You need to find the owner of a repeater in your area who is willing go link to the weekly net. It’s not overly difficult but it does take some coordinating. I believe Will W8ILL operates the G&G server so he could probably offer the best advice here.

Analog radios, digital radios, and even cell phones using EchoLink all connect to the Friday night net. It’s a pretty good mix of all.

Reactions: whiskey7backroads