Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Was thinking of doing a tube style bumper for my Blazer, but now I'm not so sure. Sorry about the trans. Had to rebuild mine 2 years ago. Really not too bad, but I had an expert help me out that caught some issues that would have caused problems down the road. Make sure you get a beefed up sunshell if you go with a rebuild that is a weak spot in the 4l60E.

I'm fairly certain the metal chunks where from the sunshell , it will get some upgrades that's for sure . Just decideding if I want to be lazy and have someone else Install it or put it in myself.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Great build! I really like these trucks, this is one of my favorite GM bodystyles ever. Fairly simple and still kind of truck-like (I like how the bumpers don't hang sure low and aren't part of the bodywork).Those seats look super comfy too, and you can't go wrong with the SBC. I'd love to get one of these, (or a same style pickup) but they seem to be impossible to find fairly rust free in New England.

Great work on the bumper, btw.

Just curious, how do you like the 5.7 in this vs. the 4.6 in the Yota?

Reactions: Zdorf

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Great build! I really like these trucks, this is one of my favorite GM bodystyles ever. Fairly simple and still kind of truck-like (I like how the bumpers don't hang sure low and aren't part of the bodywork).Those seats look super comfy too, and you can't go wrong with the SBC. I'd love to get one of these, (or a same style pickup) but they seem to be impossible to find fairly rust free in New England.

Great work on the bumper, btw.

Just curious, how do you like the 5.7 in this vs. the 4.6 in the Yota?

The seats are super comfy and the heated seats make it even more comfortable on cold days , it's probably hard to find any older rig that's not plagued with rust over there .

It's kinda hard to compare the two motors because the sequoia had a 5speed auto but I would say the 4.6 was smoother with a broader power band mostly due to the vvti but I like a v8 feeling like a v8 so to me the 5.7 feels more torqey plus I could replace both the motor and trans in the Chevy for what it would cost to replace either one in the sequoia.

Reactions: StuntmanMike

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Well the tahoe is back from the trans shop with working reverse and much better shifting . Can't say enough good things about transmedic out in Gresham, great prices and quick turn around .

Also got the winch control box mounted and put in a crappy backup camera

20180317_150538.jpg

Advocate III

Ogden, Utah
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Love what you doing. I have a 98 that I'm going to start a build on it 2 or 3 months, I hope its okay if I use your build as inspiration. I have a bumper on my K5 i built 13 or 14 years ago that yours reminds me of, I was maybe going to modify and use it on the Tahoe. Your bumper looks much better.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Love what you doing. I have a 98 that I'm going to start a build on it 2 or 3 months, I hope its okay if I use your build as inspiration. I have a bumper on my K5 i built 13 or 14 years ago that yours reminds me of, I was maybe going to modify and use it on the Tahoe. Your bumper looks much better.

Post up some pics love to see that bumper

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Went out with the plan of a quick hike and being back early to take care of chores but woke up late and decided on just going for a drive to our new favorite coffee shop mount hood roasters and then see how far we could go down lolo pass . Was more interested in driving than picture taking so there's not much to show . I forgot to grab the winch controller so we played it safe and turned around when the snow started getting 2' deep plus it's starting to melt so it's that super slick crap snow that's horrible for traction . Found a power line road that we drove on for a bit but a fallen tree halted our progress . Tool some side roads on the way home just looking at houses and talking about the future and just enjoying driving down back roads. Im really starting to wonder why I have two lifted 4x4 one being my tahoe and the other my project jeep . Going out overlanding is not a real possibly for the time being ,how much four wheel drive do I really need ? Anyways here is some random pics from the day .20180318_121815.jpg 20180318_121803.jpg
hdr_00705_0.jpg hdr_00706_0.jpg hdr_00708_0.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Well after some major thinking about what I really need out of a vehicle and life there's a good possibility I may sell the tahoe and go with a 2wd rig to just simplify life a little and cut down on cost, going to give it the rest of the weekend to make a decision but if your in the market for a lowish mile tahoe shoot me a pm .

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Sunday funday .
took probably the last snowshoe trip for the year unless we get some spring mountain snow . easy 5 miler to lower twin lakes up on mount hood , it was fun to go there in the snow because I camped there on my pct section hike so it was neat to see different everything looks under a blanket of snow and a froze over lake .hdr_00718_0.jpg hdr_00717_0.jpg hdr_00716_0.jpg hdr_00715_0.jpg hdr_00714_0.jpg hdr_00711_0.jpg hdr_00710_0.jpg
After the hike we refuled ourselves with some delicious Mexican food and amazing margaritas at el burro loco in welches OR, one of our favorite stops back from the mountain 20180325_161338.jpg 20180328_094222.png

Attachments

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Got tired of the tire sticking out so far past the wheel wells sordid up some new Wheels the lot more backspacing still might need to get some front fender flares to cover up the rest of the wheel but all in all it looks much better. Also pulled out the add a leaf in the rear and drop the rear end out about 3in it rides so much better now and it's much easier to get into for my father and hooking up a trailer20180405_175719.jpg 20180405_175730.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

small update, put almost 10k on it sense we bought it in mid December. I really think when next tires will be all-terrains I drive way too much on the freeway to justify mud terrains anymore.20180418_082106.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

today's small project , my tires are getting down to about 40-50% so decided it was time to bust out the tire knife and give them a bit of a refresh.
20180427_120837.jpg 20180427_122427.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Sunday funday , or better named
A Series of Unfortunate Events

Plan for today was to go from Happy Valley up to Timothy Lake the back way through Estacada and then drop down over to olallie Lake to get some end of the season snow playing in.

Day started off great there was actually no snow all the way up to Timothy Lake so we decided to try to take the most indirect route possible to get over to olallie Lake finally hit some snow once we pulled off of a smaller forest service road.20180429_121217.jpg
20180429_121245.jpg being so late in the year all that's really left as that slushie hard packed snow but after dropping the tires down to 12 PSI remoted along with no problems until we came across a tree that was a little too large to move with the winch so we turned around and tried some other roads none that really connected to the main path we were trying to get on so we turned around and headed down Forest Road 42 also known as Skyline road. Help the guy that his GPS was trying to take him somewhere he shouldn't have been and continued on our way found a good three feet of snow for probably 8 miles or so no real issues at all just a nice enjoyable Drive. After that we were snow free for probably 10 miles or so until we pulled off the Maine Forest Service Road on to a smaller side one again Noah had no real issues with the snow at all but it was starting to get a lot deeper so I was trying to make it to another side road so it give me somewhere to turn around and that's where things started to going a little sideways. 20180429_170629.jpg

Hit a pocket of more melted snow that pushed me off to the side of the road a little bit and to some little trees with the rear end but figuring no real issue got the winch out pulled myself back up onto the middle of the road and continue down on our way for another mile until the snow got really deep probably four to five feet and I again slid off slightly from the middle of the road so figured I had no issues again pulled out the winch hooked it up to a tree hit the button nothing. Fiddle with the wiring for a little bit and got the winch to work again sweet only problem was there was no big trees around ended up uprooting a little tree I feel bad about that but got myself pulled forward a little bit more again and decided heck of it we're just going to turn around here so went to side pull with the winch and SNAP!!! there went the winch line . Thankfully it's synthetic so I tied it back together . I was still having issues with the controller working but it seemed to work better on the ladies side of the tahoe so I had her take over , got moved a bit more and went to move the tree strap to a bigger tree and heard the passenger door shut and a loud "OH FUCK YOU" door shut on her hand . Thankfully it wasn't all the way in the door and there was something to take some of the impact, unfortunately that something was the winch controller and it broke in half . Got her finger on ice and the controller working again , started getting it spun around and SNAP again line broke about 5 feet in front of my tied knot . fixed that again . decided to dig a path to spin it around and got half way done before the shovel broke . Thankfully my shoveling was enough and we got spun around and back on our way home .20180429_170711.jpg20180429_170648.jpg
was still a fun day but I have some fixing to do

Attachments

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

new springs and shocks seem to work well , still need to modify the bumpstops but it definitely rides and drives better . took a nice long drive on this little trip and made an effort to use a real camera and not just my cell phone so I'll get some pictures uploaded here soon.
20180520_111721.jpg hdr_00764_0.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

have been trying to track down a a week and clunk I've had for a while now and finely figured out it was the upper camber bolts where loose , good side I figured out the noise bad news it destroyed the front tires 20180531_092357.jpg