Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

After doing a bunch of measuring I think it would be more work to make the winch fit behind the stock bumper then it would be to make a new bumper .
Plan B.

20180302_093432.jpg 20180302_093437.jpg 20180302_093441.jpg

Reactions: Old Griz

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
I have heard good things about HF badlands winches, especially with sales or 20% off coupons. I personally keep watching Rough Country scratch and dent section on ebay. Its rumored that from time to time there will be an open box 9500# winch for 225 shipped, I have not seen it yet, but I hope to.

Reactions: Old Griz

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I have a engo winch stuffed in there and it's been a ok winch other then the controller box filling with water . My next winch will be a warn , even though some of their winches are made overseas the majority are still made in the USA. Plus they are right down the road from my work so warranty work can be handled quickly

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I have a harbor freight winch on my car trailer for over 8 years and never had a issue with it , its just stupidly slow

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I have been looking at Champion wenches lately. The prices seem decent enough, have good reviews, and I have been using a Champion generator for a while now and love it.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Well the first step in any bumper bill was a course taking off the stock one always look so silly with no bumper
hdr_00687_0.jpg

And I started making my base measurements figuring out where I need to cut holes for the winch to sit inside the plate and where my bends are going to behdr_00686_0.jpg

Plan on using 3x3 1/4 wall for the stringers coming out of the frame to the winch plate hdr_00689_0.jpg

A quick burn of the winch plate and bumper material and it's starting to take shape 20180302_152348.jpg 20180302_152340.jpg 20180302_160540.jpg figured out I needed a 25 deg bend to get the shape i wanted 20180302_160056.jpg 20180302_163539.jpg
I only had a couple hours to mess around with it so that's as far as I got , next step will be bending it around the sides and doing a lot of cutting to get it slimmed down a bit

Reactions: Zdorf and Old Griz

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Sunday Funday our original plan was to wake up nice and early before the sun came up get a real early start and head out for an adventure Backcountry snowshoeing trip...... welllllll we slept in till 7 and decided to take it easy and just head up to mount hood and find a shorter snowshoe and just enjoy the day . After stopping by a couple of the more normal snowshoe spots and seeing way to many people we decided on a hike down some snowmobile trails and through the trees till we found our way to a lake 20180304_111806.jpg 20180304_113352.jpg hdr_00690_0.jpg hdr_00691_0.jpg
We wandered around part of the lake then started heading back on what looked like a road of sorts then some bushwacking through the trees and we found our way back to the parking lot hdr_00692_0.jpg
Goofing off is hard work and beer is the best recovery fuel . And being in the PNW there is no shortage of breweries.

We headed over to hood river and stopped at phrem brewery . Talk about some really amazing unique beers my favorite was a coffee pale ale , usually coffee ales are a stout and not really my favorite but this one was super complex and just bursting with flavor . The food was ok nothing super exciting. hdr_00693_1.jpg hdr_00695_0.jpg

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
The bumper should turn out a lot like the one I made for my old grand Cherokee, simple but functional and tucked in as much as possible View attachment 49722
Well heck speaking of ZJs, that's a heck of a bumper. I need to get one. I am buying a harbor freight welder and watching hella youtube on how to flux weld. maybe after a few months of practice I can make a god ugly but strong ass bumper and sliders. We will see if my skill can catch up to my ambitions.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Well heck speaking of ZJs, that's a heck of a bumper. I need to get one. I am buying a harbor freight welder and watching hella youtube on how to flux weld. maybe after a few months of practice I can make a god ugly but strong ass bumper and sliders. We will see if my skill can catch up to my ambitions.

Practice practice practice, I'm a amateur welder but a professional grinder . Take your time and enjoy the process . Btw the sliders on the zj where off a 4 runner just redid some of the mounts and had to do some plating on the unibody to make it sturdy

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
I have found a 4WD shop here that will sell me factory JKU sliders for 50$ a set. Im thinking of picking up a pair just to see if they can be fitted.

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
Well I still haven't had a chance to go out in the Tahoe and test it , took it up to go snowshoeing but that's about it . Got some more maintenance stuff done , put in new upper control arms and lower ball joints .

Happen to stop by a local habitat for humanity re-store shop , wanted to see what they had to hopefully pick up some odds and ends for wedding decorations but they really didn't have much in old wood or clocks ( fiancé wants to do like a drunken mad hatter tea party with miss matched China and clocks ) but they where having 50% off all cabinets soooooo I picked up a skinny cabinet hoping to use it as a built in box over the wheel well .
View attachment 44459
View attachment 44460

It ended up being a little to wide but it was the perfect size for a fold up shelf on the barn door , needs some trimming and some cables or chains to help hold it up but for 6$ I call it a win and if it doesn't end up working oh well it was 6$View attachment 44461

View attachment 44462

Brilliant! LOVE THIS! Also love seeing you teaching your little ones how to build things. I've got four daughters, and strive to ensure their upbringing isn't all Barbies and Princesses. Not that there's anything wrong with that!!! My little barbie loving princesses also love motorcycles, Jeeps and firearms! Cheers to you!

Reactions: Smileyshaun

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Well got the bumper mostly done and the frame mounts built , still need to plasma out the farelead hole but all in all its done .
20180309_182533.jpg hdr_00696_0.jpg

Butttttt I did a tranny service and found a issue

20180308_101632.jpg

Now I don't habe reverse :(

Simpson

Rank 0

Traveler I

Was thinking of doing a tube style bumper for my Blazer, but now I'm not so sure. Sorry about the trans. Had to rebuild mine 2 years ago. Really not too bad, but I had an expert help me out that caught some issues that would have caused problems down the road. Make sure you get a beefed up sunshell if you go with a rebuild that is a weak spot in the 4l60E.