...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Not much of one but an update nonetheless. Been swamped with work and life in general lately but I'm hopefully getting a chance to knock out some checklist items. Some aesthetic and some functional. I'm hoping to pull the bumper today and finally install my JDM Subaru Legacy grille which is just a little detail to further set my Outback apart. I need to take care of a long overdue repair on some trim that I'm sure will be a royal pain and install my LED light bar up top. One thing I was able to squeeze in yesterday was covers for the front LEDs while juggling a wild 19 month old. Not as straightforward as one might think since Black Oak doesn't make covers for their 5" (measures 7") round LED lights. Burned a lot of time looking for covers that'll fit and deciding on a creative way to mount them. Black all weather 3M Dual Lock and a lot of scissor time to the rescue.

490E9DC5-1835-4A0A-86EF-EF6029ED9E77.jpg

I absolutely love your rig! I've had a fascination with Subarus for a long time and it grew when I saw a lifted one like yours recently. I live that they are different and very capable!
Thank you! It's definitely outside the box and the looks I get every day are a constant reminder haha.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Love the build. Question, how beefy are the drivetrains on these? axles? cvs? tie rods? Are they built pretty stout from factory?

Reactions: Rocky

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
How hard was it to install the LP Bypass Canister kit? I have no idea where the stock one is in the car.
It's pretty easy/straightforward. These pics should walk you through it but feel free to DM if you have any specific questions.

IMG_0159.JPG IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0162.JPG

Reactions: Liana Lehua

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Love the build. Question, how beefy are the drivetrains on these? axles? cvs? tie rods? Are they built pretty stout from factory?
Thank you!

Well with 173 gerbils under the bonnet it's not exactly a high hp/tq situation haha. To be honest the only concern I have is the CVs. Their life will undoubtedly be shortened because of the angles the lift places on them. More specifically the shorter fronts. It's generally the only common issue lifted Subaru's endure.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
So to replace the grille I had to remove the bumper guard, front skid plate, tow hook, and the entire bumper cover... Not going to lie Subaru, it should be easier than that haha.

It was a great opportunity to delete the OE daytime running light module which uses the high beams running at reduced wattage. I've never liked that because it dictated what bulbs I was willing to run. The original headlights/fog lights were all underwhelming. I have long since been running adapted H9 fogs in place of the stock H11 bulbs for a nice bump in output. Installed HIDs in the low beams that I'm still in love with. To get away from the dingy 9005 high beams I installed pricey LEDs that I've hated since day one. I've had to endure every shortcoming that exists with the current design. They're super bright but the throw is awful and the only thing all that brightness does is glare everywhere. Good riddance as I was now finally able to adapt and install HIR1 (Halogen Infrared Reflective) bulbs which are 1200+ lumens brighter than 9005s. So happy to have great street legal long distance lighting.

... and just like that I go back to work tomorrow night. There aren't enough hours in a day.

13010FA0-FCC1-4020-80D9-776CD27BDE96.jpg

THEpoorguy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sweetser, IN, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Poor
Member #

^and bearings! I've already trashed 2 hub bearings in less than a year. If you drive a manual beware: the engines are low on torque so you end up abusing the clutch. My Excedy clutch and flywheel are smoked that just got replaced 9 months ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

^and bearings! I've already trashed 2 hub bearings in less than a year. If you drive a manual beware: the engines are low on torque so you end up abusing the clutch. My Excedy clutch and flywheel are smoked that just got replaced 9 months ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app
Land Rovers eat bearings also, but due to the weight of collapsed stars they build them from. i have extras in my garage next to the oil filters.

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

Thank you!

Well with 173 gerbils under the bonnet it's not exactly a high hp/tq situation haha. To be honest the only concern I have is the CVs. Their life will undoubtedly be shortened because of the angles the lift places on them. More specifically the shorter fronts. It's generally the only common issue lifted Subaru's endure.
Is the shorter lifespan of the CV's something that is appreciable enough to end up requiring service/replacement on the regular? Thanks man!

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Is the shorter lifespan of the CV's something that is appreciable enough to end up requiring service/replacement on the regular? Thanks man!
Well it's impossible to say at this point what sort of replacement frequency we're talking about. It could be a long time or maybe it'll only be the most likely troublesome one, the right front. My point is that it's all speculation but in the end I'm comfortable with it and I like having the additional clearance over the typical 2" lift. Especially since quality aftermarket axles are now stocked and it's no longer a scary dealer ($$$) only issue.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
The wife and I took our 19 month old son camping for the first time this weekend. All things considered it went really well but mom and dad didn't get much sleep haha.

Alps Mountaineering tent kept us dry despite an all night thunderstorm. It may not go up or down super quickly but it's solid and performs all year round.

IMG_1954.JPG IMG_1965.JPG

I love the Luminoodle. Very efficient and very bright.

IMG_1956.JPG
IMG_1976.JPG

Stansport stove doing its thing and I recently picked up a Magma (USA made) stainless steel nesting cookware set. Absolutely worth the price. No reason to believe the set won't outlive me and with the nesting style storage it takes up very little space while affording a number of cooking options.

IMG_1966.JPG

When the little one needs to nap it's the perfect excuse to explore. The Delaware Water Gap is beautiful on both sides of the river. Drove Old Mine Road which is nothing more than a trail in sections but has been in service since the 1600's. Thanks to a tip we were able to locate Buttermilk Falls.

IMG_1962.JPG

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

The wife and I took our 19 month old son camping for the first time this weekend. All things considered it went really well but mom and dad didn't get much sleep haha.

Alps Mountaineering tent kept us dry despite an all night thunderstorm. It may not go up or down super quickly but it's solid and performs all year round.

View attachment 31772 View attachment 31773

I love the Luminoodle. Very efficient and very bright.

View attachment 31774
View attachment 31775

Stansport stove doing its thing and I recently picked up a Magma (USA made) stainless steel nesting cookware set. Absolutely worth the price. No reason to believe the set won't outlive me and with the nesting style storage it takes up very little space while affording a number of cooking options.

View attachment 31776

When the little one needs to nap it's the perfect excuse to explore. The Delaware Water Gap is beautiful on both sides of the river. Drove Old Mine Road which is nothing more than a trail in sections but has been in service since the 1600's. Thanks to a tip we were able to locate Buttermilk Falls.

View attachment 31778
Awesome!

WindyCity_MDX

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Great thread! I'm jealous that there's more aftermarket support for Subaru's than there are for the Acura MDX. We got our MDX for similar reasons to yours for getting the Outback although the MPG's in the MDX blows compared to the Outback (21 highway mpg's).

How would you rank the AT Geolander G015 in snow? The current all-season tires I have on my MDX are OK in the snow and I'm considering going with 2 wheel/tire setups (all-seasons and winters) or just a year-round solution.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks!

I get way to excited when I see you post something new.
Haha, thank you!

Great thread! I'm jealous that there's more aftermarket support for Subaru's than there are for the Acura MDX. We got our MDX for similar reasons to yours for getting the Outback although the MPG's in the MDX blows compared to the Outback (21 highway mpg's).

How would you rank the AT Geolander G015 in snow? The current all-season tires I have on my MDX are OK in the snow and I'm considering going with 2 wheel/tire setups (all-seasons and winters) or just a year-round solution.
Thank you! The aftermarket support for off road Subaru's is getting better as more and more people are getting their cars dirty. That said we're still left to figure out a lot of stuff on our own.

In regards to the G015s, they do very well in the snow. Admittedly a lot of credit goes to Subaru's AWD but even in the +2' blizzard that hit us this year I was out and about problem free.

IMG_1174.JPG IMG_1182.JPG IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1303.JPG