...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Looks great man! Loving that third shot.

It's interesting how hard it is to appropriately capture hill-grade in photos and videos. I shot some video of a really steep hill climb for an insta story a week or two back and it looked like it was a touch above flat from the camera POV.

But not to worry! Those who know power line roads know how steep some of them are. That looks like a solid one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man! Here's a couple more angles from that spot. The one gives a much better idea of the grade.

IMG_1721.JPG IMG_1724.JPG

RubySubie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Staten Island, NY
Member #

Definitely makes you wonder how the Gen 4's deal with not having X-mode.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app
Having gone from a Gen 4 OB to Gen 5 OB, I can say that there is a world of difference with having X-mode. While the Gen 4's are capable, I no longer have to be so aware of throttle and far less wheel spin. Overall, it's much easier to get out of the trouble I get into.

RubySubie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Staten Island, NY
Member #

Reactions: Rocky

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Having gone from a Gen 4 OB to Gen 5 OB, I can say that there is a world of difference with having X-mode. While the Gen 4's are capable, I no longer have to be so aware of throttle and far less wheel spin. Overall, it's much easier to get out of the trouble I get into.
The only downside to X-mode is that certain conditions, like this power line climb, causes additional stress on the transmission and gets it running a tad on the warm side.

That's a great view and shot. Reminds me of where we stopped at the last meet. Next time we'll need do some hill climbing too. Build question, the RPF1's, your offset is 45mm, so it was the 8"?
Correct, they are 17x8 with a 45 offset. This area is near my house and consists of all sorts of trails. The view is standard Pennsyltucky haha.

RubySubie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Staten Island, NY
Member #

The only downside to X-mode is that certain conditions, like this power line climb, causes additional stress on the transmission and gets it running a tad on the warm side.

Correct, they are 17x8 with a 45 offset. This area is near my house and consists of all sorts of trails. The view is standard Pennsyltucky haha.
Ha! But some great trails. Thanks for the info. Think a trans cooler would add any value?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Ha! But some great trails. Thanks for the info. Think a trans cooler would add any value?
Well.. it already has one that's intended to benefit from traveling down the road. That said this significant climb is the first time I've ever seen the light come on. Easily the hardest I've ever had to work the car. Parked it on a somewhat level spot and scoped the next climb while the car ran. Got back to the car and never saw the light again.

IMG_1720.JPG

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Good to hear about some experience with pushing the stock trans cooler, thanks.
No problem. The set points for the electric fans are aggressive so they stay on top of things.

So, for those you you who don't follow my instagram, sometimes the adventure is in your backyard and those higher springrate springs have a practical use. One delicious keg of Susquehanna Brewing Company's Shady Spot, six 20lb bags of ice, a pile of party supplies, and the ride just gets better haha.

IMG_1769.JPG IMG_1771.JPG

THEpoorguy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sweetser, IN, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Poor
Member #

Great build! you said you use Gaia for an offroad app? I'm unfamiliar with apps like that, do they just track where you went or do they give you an idea of terrain and elevation variations ahead of you?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Great build! you said you use Gaia for an offroad app? I'm unfamiliar with apps like that, do they just track where you went or do they give you an idea of terrain and elevation variations ahead of you?
Thank you! Yes I use Gaia and you can use it to follow pre planned routes, track where you've traveled, and via topo map it gives you an idea of the terrain. I also use ScenicMap which allows you to see topo maps in 3D.

THEpoorguy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sweetser, IN, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Poor
Member #

I have a topographical map app I downloaded for shits and giggles but haven't used it off-road yet. I'll have to look into Gaia. Are you able to download maps for use offline if you don't have signal?

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I have a topographical map app I downloaded for shits and giggles but haven't used it off-road yet. I'll have to look into Gaia. Are you able to download maps for use offline if you don't have signal?
Yes and I'd highly recommend having it all downloaded over wifi in advance. It's not perfect but it's still a great app. It does take a little time to get used to it and set it up just the way you like it.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I absolutely love your rig! I've had a fascination with Subarus for a long time and it grew when I saw a lifted one like yours recently. I live that they are different and very capable!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

THEpoorguy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sweetser, IN, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Poor
Member #

I absolutely love your rig! I've had a fascination with Subarus for a long time and it grew when I saw a lifted one like yours recently. I live that they are different and very capable!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
They're an absolute blast man! Do it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app