...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Yeah it'll be fun seeing what you come up with for your rack puzzle, not to mention the bumper. I'm planning on mounting the traction jacks to the lid of the Pelican & the rotopax latitudinally on the rack behind the pelican (since it's already poking a huge hole in the air).Here's another option you may already be aware of for a swing away tire mount: https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/
It's pretty slick but pricey.
Was just looking at this last week for my XC! Of course after I got all excited about it, it occurred to me that: A) I don't have a hitch yet, and B) if I install one, it's probably gonna fuck with my departure angle [emoji53] Oh the perils of #wagonlife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: K7CWJ

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Had a long day scouting yesterday in Bald Eagle State Forest for an off road Subaru event in the spring. She performed admirably as you can see in the picture doing her best "Jeep wave" impersonation. Had to do some customizing to add my high lift jack base to the rack, added a 3rd "multi" tool to the rack, and fixed a design flaw in my aFe intake. Also ordered my 1 gallon propane tank so my plans to add that to the basket can start.

image.jpeg

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ha! Awesome. I'm actually sort of planning a Volvo meet out that way with a few friends around Carlisle. Specifically trying to go check out bald eagle. Might have to pick your brain a bit

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Ha! Awesome. I'm actually sort of planning a Volvo meet out that way with a few friends around Carlisle. Specifically trying to go check out bald eagle. Might have to pick your brain a bit
Well isn't that random haha. Feel free to ask.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you @TrailDodo310! Gotta love the long roof haha.

I've been swamped at work but here are the latest updates.. I'm finally getting around to installing my CB, my custom propane tank mount for the rack is nearly finished, and I finally bit the bullet on Black Oak lighting for the bumper and rack. It's going to be a busy month since I'd like to have it all up and running by our Subaru weekend April 22.

IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1266.JPG

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Snapped a couple pre powdercoat shots of the Rotopax and the tank mount. Everything's coming together just like I planned... which makes me worry haha.

I hate those disposable bottles for a number of reasons so I wanted to get away from having to use them. Tank is a 1 gallon/5lb bottle that I can use to run multiple things at the same time. It's lockable and as usual I'm using Fourtreks to mount things up. Rock solid and unbelievably versatile.

IMG_0013.JPG

The locks are removed but the rotopax cans fit perfectly across the Yakima Load Warrior. I have 2 fuel and 2 water cans. Front and center you can also see the Fourtreks mount that I adapted to hold my highlift jack base.

IMG_0012.JPG

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

That looks great! How do the Rotopax secure themselves? I've been thinking I may need to grab something like that for bringing water/fuel on upcoming camp outs. Do they just free float in the basket? Can't quite tell from your shots.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
That looks great! How do the Rotopax secure themselves? I've been thinking I may need to grab something like that for bringing water/fuel on upcoming camp outs. Do they just free float in the basket? Can't quite tell from your shots.
Thank you. There's a plate with uprights that pass through the cans.

IMG_0014.JPG

I have extensions to be able to secure more than one can. Everything threads into each other and then you tighten the top handle down to secure the cans in place.

IMG_0016.JPG

Lastly I use the LOX mounts as a theft deterrent instead of the regular one pictured above. This is what's removed in my picture to keep it out of the weather until needed.

IMG_0015.JPG

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

Snapped a couple pre powdercoat shots of the Rotopax and the tank mount. Everything's coming together just like I planned... which makes me worry haha.

I hate those disposable bottles for a number of reasons so I wanted to get away from having to use them. Tank is a 1 gallon/5lb bottle that I can use to run multiple things at the same time. It's lockable and as usual I'm using Fourtreks to mount things up. Rock solid and unbelievably versatile.

View attachment 20920

The locks are removed but the rotopax cans fit perfectly across the Yakima Load Warrior. I have 2 fuel and 2 water cans. Front and center you can also see the Fourtreks mount that I adapted to hold my highlift jack base.

View attachment 20922
Is the propane bottle holder also from Fourtreks? I have the same bottle and all the mounts I have seen are for the other style of 5lb propane bottle.

Reactions: Rocky

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Is the propane bottle holder also from Fourtreks? I have the same bottle and all the mounts I have seen are for the other style of 5lb propane bottle.
It's not from Fourtreks, only what's holding it in place is. It's a modified 10lb bottle holder from Powertank. I obviously had the same issue finding a solution and discovered that their 10lb bottle has the same diameter as that 5lb bottle. From there it was easy.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
As much as I like the BROG bag for my Traction Jacks I've always wanted them on the roof. I know you can 'mount' the bag up there but it's really not a great setup for a busy basket. Pretty happy with how it turned out. VERY little wasted space.

IMG_1484.JPG

Last edited:

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

As much as I like the BRO bag for my Traction Jacks I've always wanted them on the roof. I know you can 'mount' the bag up there but it's really not a great setup for a busy basket. Pretty happy with how it turned out. VERY little wasted space.

View attachment 21408
Looking good, dude! How'd you mount those long bolts to the basket for your TJ's?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Amazing build!

Any leak issues with having the rotopax mounted horizontally?
Thank you! All of the cans are brandy new so I have zero experience with them. I'll probably run one gas and one water can this weekend to try them out but to my knowledge there are zero issues running them flat. I searched a lot before pulling the trigger on them a couple months ago because it was a concern of mine and the whole reason i wanted them.

Looking good, dude! How'd you mount those long bolts to the basket for your TJ's?
+1 [emoji16]
Thanks! Initially I bought a universal Traction Jack mount that was going to go on my rear bumper. I haven't had the time and I wanted them out of the car in a bad way so I cut the mount. It sat lower than the rest of the flat steel and as a result was in the way. Using the existing holes between the long bolts is where I secured it. I used SS hardware and cut angle aluminum long enough to sandwich 3 crossbars of the basket. I apologize because I meant to take a picture with nothing in the way but forgot. If this were my original plan I definitely would have fabbed something up myself.

41hRSBZv9dL.jpg

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

As much as I like the BROG bag for my Traction Jacks I've always wanted them on the roof. I know you can 'mount' the bag up there but it's really not a great setup for a busy basket. Pretty happy with how it turned out. VERY little wasted space.

View attachment 21408
After maybe three trips, my traction Jack's started wearing through my roof mounted BROG bag. So good call getting them mounted.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
After maybe three trips, my traction Jack's started wearing through my roof mounted BROG bag. So good call getting them mounted.
Thank for confirming one of my concerns with the bag in the basket. It's been fine in the back of the car but they're noisy, in the way, and lets be honest here...Subaru. Hahaha.

Reactions: Rocky