...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
That rotopax mount is genius. I'm going to have to give that a try.
Yeah its not necessary but its easier and more stable. Its not a perfect fit on the Yakima but a creative trip to the hardware store fixed that.

Reactions: Rocky

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Have you brain stormed any alternatives to mounting a full size spare on the hitch? I can't think of any route other than the Wilco, and I'm too stubborn at the moment to change my whole camping setup to work around the tire.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Have you brain stormed any alternatives to mounting a full size spare on the hitch? I can't think of any route other than the Wilco, and I'm too stubborn at the moment to change my whole camping setup to work around the tire.
Haha. Well my plans have always been to to do an in-skin rear bumper with a swingout and hitch. In the meantime I also considered rigging my spare to sit vertical against the side in the back. Like you see in a lot of SUV's.

K7CWJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Keizer, OR
Member #

I'm going the Wilco route. It's currently on back order but I should have it by mid to late May. I'll be sure to check in here when it finally arrives. I ordered the Hitchgate Solo High-Clearance with the Rotopax/Hi-lift Jack accessory. I also considered the custom "in-bumper" application, but ultimately decided against the project as there was too much else on my plate before we head out on the OBDR in early July, and I wanted to clear up more space on my Yakima rack. I can always sell it when my schedule clears up.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Had a great weekend leading 20+ off road Subaru's around Bald Eagle State Forest. We did 95 miles of forest road/trails on Saturday alone. It was a good opportunity to give some new items a good shakedown and I mean that literally because Bald Eagle is as rocky as they come. Here's how my car returned home..

IMG_1545.JPG

Everything mounted and secured to the rack..

IMG_1546.JPG

If I had brought a copilot or wasn't leading I'd have some amazing shots of this stretch of trail (more pictures in general). Needless to say people were shocked when a stream of Subaru's came pouring out of it haha..

IMG_1530.JPG

The LP Aventure bumper guard continues to do its thing well..

IMG_1524.JPG

Not a single person for miles and miles..

IMG_1506.JPG

Lastly a little standoff with a stubborn porcupine.

IMG_1521.JPG

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
How do you like the Black Oak lights? I think that is the perfect look on the Outback. Curious if they are bright enough and if you had to do anything custom to mount them.
To be honest I had just got them mounted in the hopes I'd get time to wire them along with the two additional matching lights going there and a 30" curved double row on the rack. Alas I have no time haha. Black Oak is routinely ranked as a top tier brand so I have zero concerns about output. To run 4 of them on that bar I needed to purchase clamp mounts. Those lights are pretty heavy and they didn't budge this weekend so I suspect they never will.

In the middle of all of this I changed my mind on how I was going to wire everything and decided to go with a Switch-Pros 8100 so it'll be a little bit before everything it lit.

Last edited:

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I don't lie to my friends, so I'll tell you that I'm miiiiiiiiiildly disappointed at the lack of visual evidence of this spectacular gathering! [emoji6]

Seeing as we see about to land our Volvos in Bald Eagle in a few short weeks, could you direct me to an instagram account or two of your Subaru brethren who have more pics to offer such that I might lurk around and suss it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I don't lie to my friends, so I'll tell you that I'm miiiiiiiiiildly disappointed at the lack of visual evidence of this spectacular gathering! [emoji6]

Seeing as we see about to land our Volvos in Bald Eagle in a few short weeks, could you direct me to an instagram account or two of your Subaru brethren who have more pics to offer such that I might lurk around and suss it out?
Hahaha. Check out the MtnRoo Mid-Atlantic group on Facebook. That's where everyone is posting pictures. Here's a few that I grabbed.

IMG_1548.JPG IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1551.JPG IMG_1550.JPG IMG_1552.JPG IMG_1554.JPG

The last 2 are both 6" lifted 3rd gens.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Thanks man!

I'm tempted to complain more. "Something something where da action shots at?" But I'll keep a lid on it and watch mountain roo mid-Atlantic for more.

I might have to come out with y'all simply for the purposes of proper documentation [emoji16]

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

In the middle of all of this I changed my mind on how I was going to wire everything and decided to go with a Switch-Pros 8100 so it'll be a little bit before everything it lit.
I saw @FozRoamer Switch-Pros set up earlier this year and it's really slick setup. I hate my wiring already and I only have two aux lights. Bluetooth ftw.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks man!

I'm tempted to complain more. "Something something where da action shots at?" But I'll keep a lid on it and watch mountain roo mid-Atlantic for more.

I might have to come out with y'all simply for the purposes of proper documentation
Haha. It's a long trip but it'd be great if you did join us sometime. We don't discriminate against wagons haha.

I saw Switch-Pros set up earlier this year and it's really slick setup. I hate my wiring already and I only have two aux lights. Bluetooth ftw.
Yeah I recognized almost immediately that it was going to be worth it in the long run. Should be here tomorrow.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Haha. You can control 2 of the outputs via Bluetooth.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Been super busy with work but managed to squeeze in some time to mount up some freshly powder coated bits and to square away the additional light mounts up front. Squeezed in some dirt time as well.

I wish this picture truly showed how steep this is.

IMG_1710.JPG

Nice view from the edge. Couple hundred feet straight down from there.

IMG_1733.JPG

Once again X-mode shines. All the way up... and all the way down.

IMG_1722.JPG

Unfortunately Black Oak doesn't make light covers for this size round LED light so I have to adapt some other ones that I found. That's what is next for the list and I need to finally get around to removing the bumper to install the JDM grille I had painted a year and a half ago haha.

IMG_1741.JPG

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Looks great man! Loving that third shot.

It's interesting how hard it is to appropriately capture hill-grade in photos and videos. I shot some video of a really steep hill climb for an insta story a week or two back and it looked like it was a touch above flat from the camera POV.

But not to worry! Those who know power line roads know how steep some of them are. That looks like a solid one.