...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

Wilderland

Rank 0

Traveler I

So to replace the grille I had to remove the bumper guard, front skid plate, tow hook, and the entire bumper cover... Not going to lie Subaru, it should be easier than that haha.

View attachment 30182
Hello. Great thread! This is my first post, and I joined the site because of your thread. I have a couple of questions. What is the tow hook you have on the front of your Outback, and where did you get it? How did you paint your original rims (tires on or off)? And how did you paint your OEM grill? What paint did you use, and what prep did the rims and grill/"chrome" need?

Thanks!

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Hello. Great thread! This is my first post, and I joined the site because of your thread. I have a couple of questions. What is the tow hook you have on the front of your Outback, and where did you get it? How did you paint your original rims (tires on or off)? And how did you paint your OEM grill? What paint did you use, and what prep did the rims and grill/"chrome" need?
Thank you!

The tow hooks that I use are OE. I keep both the front and rear hooks screwed in all the time anymore and had them powdercoated wrinkle black to go with everything else I've had coated. There seems to be some people who believe you need to spend XXX amount of money on aftermarket tow hooks but I'm not one of them. I actually think it's silly since the car already comes with one and its easy enough to order or otherwise procure a second. I'm also not one for D ring shackles in tow hooks. I don't like them for the function nor do I for the form. I use soft shackles that slip right through the OE tow hook because they're stronger, safer, and MUCH lighter. So much lighter that they float on water and when you own a Subaru you want to shave weight everywhere you can.

The OE wheels and grill were both plasti dipped and were done in place with no prep other than clean and dry. Thats the joy of dip as it'll stick to anything if you apply it correctly. You want to be careful doing the grill in place so you don't get overspray in the radiator. Its pretty easy to remove the bumper so removing the grill is certainly an option. Both the wheels and grill were always going to be temporary but I was impressed at how well the wheels held up. The grill took a beating and I knew that my JDM Legacy grill was going to get painted and cleared for durability reasons.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

Wilderland

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks for the detailed answers. Did you drill a hole in the tow hook cover? It looks like one piece. This is a lame question, but will the same OEM tow hook fit in the front and back?

I am definitely going to get some plast dip! I like the JDM grill, a lot, but not enough to pay $400. If I remember, you mentioned a CB. Where did you mount it?

Thanks again for your response.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks for the detailed answers. Did you drill a hole in the tow hook cover? It looks like one piece. This is a lame question, but will the same OEM tow hook fit in the front and back?

I am definitely going to get some plast dip! I like the JDM grill, a lot, but not enough to pay $400. If I remember, you mentioned a CB. Where did you mount it?

Thanks again for your response.
Glad to help.

The tow hook is the one that comes with the car and as a result works in the front and back. When I ordered a second hook I also ordered the plugs that cover the holes in the bumper. They’re super cheap and I wouldn’t have any hesitation taking the dremel to them haha. The intended purpose was a clean finished look that keeps most of the weather/debris out of the threads and bumper.

I waited til there was a sale and I had a preexisting coupon code for the grill but it was still pricey. It used to cost over $500 when I first bought the car if you can imagine that haha. That said I liked my dipped grill as well. I just don’t like chrome or anything shiny.

Here’s where my Cobra sits most of the time. With almost everything contained in the mic it’s super small power box is mounted under the seat.

2C229189-E1CB-4148-A1C2-4EA64489C002.jpeg

Here’s where it ‘hangs’ when it’s in use. The gear retractor is nice and it keeps it handy.

0FC2E8AD-330E-45B2-B690-C5F34CCC08BD.jpeg

My antenna is mounted in the middle/back of my basket.

DED216F7-F3F9-430B-841B-E6C7E78A1504.jpeg

Sorry for the darker pics but I’m working on some little things in the garage.

pcphorse88

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Payonk
Member #

Thanks!
part of the reason I got an outback was because of builds like this

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
part of the reason I got an outback was because of builds like this
Thank you for that. I have a buddy with a green Outback similar to mine down your way. Have you looked into either the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast chapters of MtnRoo?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
For those of you who don’t follow my instagram I thought I’d share some recent pictures. I went poking around in some new areas of familiar spots and since the gates were open I hit a ‘trail’ that I hadn’t seen in 10+ years. DCNR has since ruined.. I mean repaired this trail but it’s still a nice quiet drive in the woods.

Here’s an upper section of a quite large (110,700 acre-ft) drained reservoir. It’s a neat place for a number of reasons but one is the almost apocalyptic landscape.

822AB76F-1537-4BAA-923C-A38E13E44866.jpeg 586F53F3-8531-48FF-93EA-27C3E0F2CF84.jpeg

Every fall Pennsyltucky blesses us with some open gates for a couple months. I’d like to see them open year round but I guess I should be thankful they open some at all.

A0D017AF-6B68-4E9A-94ED-93BA3AA7F4E0.jpeg BA3EE29E-60E0-40B7-ADB9-44EE77F081A8.jpeg FE590F7B-47A0-4E0C-85D0-6EDAF9322A25.jpeg E5EA9F64-74AA-4844-A013-3D310C76C760.jpeg

Mike Sullivan

Rank 0

Traveler I

BEND
[QUOTED"K7CWJ, post: 73094, member: 7391"]
Got my wheels (Method 502s) & tires (245/65 R17 KO2s) today! Next weekend sees the lift kit installed- 3 inches total. Springs and spacers. I'll start a build thread one of these days.
Are these the Bronze 502's, or black ?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk[/QUOTE]

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Are these the broze 502's, or black ?
This was directed at you @K7CWJ.

nice car, I always like the outbacks awesome build
Thank you very much.

I’ve got few things laying around that I need to finish. Rock and flush mount rear facing lights from Black Oak, a couple Baja Design lights going in the OE fog locations, new mount for my iPad/inReach, and I really need to decide on designing a ‘plate’ to mount my fridge to that will still allow me to access the storage under the floor. Always something...

Reactions: Terry Pickens

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I can not wait to see the frig mount. I am contemplating some kind of a system also so I can keep access to the bottom storage area. Just want to store chairs and short bins there. I have all my tools and extras down in the old spare tire area I don't use often. Then some kind of a slide out system to keep a level bed platform for when I sleep inside. OH MY the projects never end do they.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
What size G015s did you go with and how has the wear been?
I'm debating between the 225/65r17 and 235 size. Afraid the 235s may be a little too tight on my 2010 OB.
I run 245/65 17's but the 5th gen has a tiny bit more generous wheel wells than the 4th gen. I know that 235/65 is a popular size with 4th gens.

I've had these tires for 20k and the wear has been good not great. I also rotate 5 tires so that will impact my mileage.

Reactions: Logan Hall

wanderlover

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I run 245/65 17's but the 5th gen has a tiny bit more generous wheel wells than the 4th gen. I know that 235/65 is a popular size with 4th gens.
Thanks. I'd love to run the 235s for the added contact, plus they're cheaper right now.
I'm getting ready to add an ADF 1.5" lift front/rear as well as stiffer, 1/4" lift Rallitek springs to get the sag out. (I'm full time overlanding out of the OB so she tends to run heavy in the rear).

I know the lift will move the tires closer to the wheel well so not sure what I'll be facing. I haven't had any luck finding another Gen4 running the same configuration (or w/2" lift) with 235s.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks. I'd love to run the 235s for the added contact, plus they're cheaper right now.
I'm getting ready to add an ADF 1.5" lift front/rear as well as stiffer, 1/4" lift Rallitek springs to get the sag out. (I'm full time overlanding out of the OB so she tends to run heavy in the rear).

I know the lift will move the tires closer to the wheel well so not sure what I'll be facing. I haven't had any luck finding another Gen4 running the same configuration (or w/2" lift) with 235s.
No problem! The lift will pull the wheels in but with only 1.5" of lift it won't be that noticeable. Its not going to generate any issues with a slightly larger tire but I was mistaken with the 235/65 size. There are some people who do run them but they say it's tight and you can't with flaps or splash guards. The size I was thinking was 235/60 17. Sorry about that.

morty muerte

Rank II

Enthusiast II

As much as I like the BROG bag for my Traction Jacks I've always wanted them on the roof. I know you can 'mount' the bag up there but it's really not a great setup for a busy basket. Pretty happy with how it turned out. VERY little wasted space.

View attachment 21408
What kind of traction boards are you using? And do you mind telling me how you mounted the quick fists for your shovel to the rack?
Been brain storming ideas of how to do that.
Thanks in advance!

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
What kind of traction boards are you using? And do you mind telling me how you mounted the quick fists for your shovel to the rack?
Been brain storming ideas of how to do that.
Thanks in advance!
No problem morty! I use Traction Jack foldable boards and almost everything is secured to my basket via Fourtreks mounts.

Reactions: morty muerte