Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation to this company, we buy all of our cases from them, and then I realized how inexpensive they are compared to Amazon or other sellers.

http://www.foamerica.com/default.asp

I live right around the corner from Pelican, and I've found these guys to be generally cheaper than Pelicans once-yearly parking lot sale!

Check it out, but if you know a less expensive source where anybody can purchase, post up!

Example:
Amazon, 1730 No Foam, black - $389.49 + $7.47 shipping
Foamerica.com, 1730 No Foam, black - $336.41
(no idea about shipping but they're pretty reasonable, and you can pickup / will call in So. Cal /southbay)
Savings, ~$56!

(another site is $367.51 for the same spec)

In the spirit of full disclosure, if you have to pay Calif sales tax with one over the other, that may level the playing field.

G'luck, Dan.

Reactions: murps

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I've bought a few of their flashlights, they've all failed, broken and become inoperable. Not impressed with that part of their business.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SLO Rob

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Good to know. I'm looking for a used rifle case w/o foam for recovery and tools...lots of low profile storage. They are more expensive than I thought they'd be...

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I haven't taken much time to think about it, but their numbering system doesn't seem to be very intuitive to size or much else. Anyone that could educate me would be appreciated!

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Check out PLANO cases, I use them and they are price sensitive/realistic and are great.
And available all over.....pelican are a military contract and cost whey to much.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

x2 on the Planos. I want Pelicans but the weight and price are tough to swallow. That said, I use pelican for my ASUS ROG laptop and the rest of the gear is in Planos and Blue Hawk plasitic totes.

Reactions: SLO Rob

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I found 19.99 Plano locker boxes at www.academy.com I picked one up (mentioned in another thread) There's some other decent deals on that site.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Dang, that seems like a really good deal but I don't have need or room for more cases that size! They were as high as $32.99 if you believe their site. And free shipping it looks like. Thanks for the link, looks like a heavy south and southeast presence. Nice find @SLO Rob

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Dang, that seems like a really good deal but I don't have need or room for more cases that size! They were as high as $32.99 if you believe their site. And free shipping it looks like. Thanks for the link, looks like a heavy south and southeast presence. Nice find @SLO Rob

credit to @hardtrailz I hadn't seen that site before. There's some good stuff on there...! I picked up one locker, and if it's that good, I'll get a second!

Reactions: hardtrailz

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Yah, let us know what you think. Wondering if this is robust enough for the roof rack where not being waterproof is not critical.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Thanks ht, I know they claim that they're not "waterproof", just wondering if at freeway speed, if they keep out most of the water in a heavy rain? Seems like they would. Truly I would pack stuff in there that could probably be ok up there without any protection but I do like the idea of keeping all my junk in a simple box. Also, stuff like the lantern, stove etc. that would be better not to get soaked could go in those. Nice looking truck by the way. Dan.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@fj80toyman I have had mine through multiple downpours at 70 mph with no leakage. I've also left them sitting outside for extended periods of rain with no issues. I think the secret is in the way the lip seats.

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
They have a double lip that seals out most. On about a 500 mile trip there was a little seepege thru due to a couple hours of downpours we went through, but nothing terrible. Could have been prevented with a little foam or something along the lip I think. Was not enough for me to find it worth worrying over though.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Alright people, I couldn't take it any longer! I pulled the trigger on two of those at Academy Sports. Couldn't pass up the deal, price was right, no tax, free shipping! WINNING! (is that still a thing?) I was in Sprawl-Mart last night and even the cheapy Sterilite ones with the two metal clasps were $19 each. Better ones were $30.
I'm a little ...obsessive about tying stuff down, especially on the roof where these will live during travel, I'm coming up with a strap system designed for these plus other loose stuff up there. When I get it sorted, I may post up a pic or two to get some feedback.
Funny, this started out as just info on where to find Pelican cases and it ends up going sideways with me buying some new bins. Didn't see that coming!
Although I wouldn't do the "fall off the top of the car" test with these Plano cases, I think they'll do OK based on what you guys have experienced.
Thanks for the info, tips & discussion.
Dan.