Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Gila sounds cool, wish I had ventured that way when I lived in NM. I still probably could from Del Rio...
I think your best wheeling would be n.w. of you along the Mexican border and Big Bend. Gila, Lincoln and Cebola is a super area but unfortunately for you it's about 15-16 hours of driving to get here. I suppose you could make it a two day drive to get here by way of Carlsbad- Artesia and the Lincoln national forest. At any rate a round trip would probably take a week with no real rest or camping. I like to drive for one day each day direction and camp- explore for at least 3 days per adventure.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Heya everyone, just now jumping in on OB lol. I'm in and around ABQ. This is super neat, I had no idea our group is as big as it is. Also, I second the idea of bumming around the Gila sometime! Furthest south I've been (overland/camping) is the Butte.
You should turn west at Socorro. Fabulous country in that direction. We have an OB member in Socorro too.

Reactions: Seranade

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
No way, yeah definitely I'll have to turn and go west next time I'm down that way. Had some fun at Gordy's and hiked around San Lorenzo last week though.
San Lorenzo as in the Mimbres river valley off hwy 35 ? Funny thing about NM is that they have several small towns named San Lorenzo.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Oh! Lol didn't quite specify, my bad, San Lorenzo canyon on the blm side south of the Sevilleta Refuge, Lemitar/Polvadera, Rio Salado sand dunes
I haven't been there myself. Been wanting to to do the cross over to Tularosa from I-25 through the mountains east. My problem is there are too many places I want to go and I don't have enough years left to see even 25%. Second problem is to finishing my rig to do the trips. I cant do the work myself and right now I cant find anyone who wants to work when they can get $1000 week by not working.

AaronRidley

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Lunas, NM, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Ridley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5ADR
Oh! Lol didn't quite specify, my bad, San Lorenzo canyon on the blm side south of the Sevilleta Refuge, Lemitar/Polvadera, Rio Salado sand dunes
That's really cool. My wife and I drove there for an afternoon about two weeks ago. That's a fun place to go.

I gotta get out more. My wife and I bought our first RTT so I should be getting my hands on it pretty soon in a few weeks. Then I decided to pull the trigger on a new rack as well so that's another project to put together in a few months.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hi all,

I'm heading out to the area near Queen this weekend, southern part of Lincoln NF, we're going to be along the Guadalupe rim road, and nearby sites. Are there any must see things up there?

Seranade

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Naff
Member #

Hi all,

I'm heading out to the area near Queen this weekend, southern part of Lincoln NF, we're going to be along the Guadalupe rim road, and nearby sites. Are there any must see things up there?
Carlsbad Caverns is really close, but I'm positive they're not open yet.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Our entire trip is posted here.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Driving on Otero County Rd G013 last week on our way to the Guadalupe Mtns Linc National Forest:
0A7B4717-573A-41BA-999C-3B67EA75D3DA.jpeg
A couple of spots were washed out requiring some alternate route exploration:
6EAFF6C0-40EA-4218-A3A0-6524CF970E9E.jpeg
The little bump in the east just above “County” is the second washout workaround. As we were trying to figure out how to proceed, my brother suggested follow the cows...brilliant! They collapsed the arroyo walls enough to cross. Rats, video file is to large for the server. Substitute a pic of Rawhide Canyon:
FBE6869D-B499-4016-960A-4C7813B4C5E5.jpeg

Reactions: TRT87

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Just as an FYI. We were thinking of going to Bottomless Lakes outside Roswell this weekend. Looks like most state parks now are open, but only Thurs-Sun, 8AM - 5PM. You can thank your state govt for not having resources in place... after being closed for 3 months, and now this. They claim, get this, there are not enough employees to open full time. Did they all die of 'da 'Rona? How can you run full time and open before, but not after? No camping. No fires. No groups larger than 8. Social distancing.

Oh, and the kicker? MASKS ARE REQUIRED in all state parks. Even if you are standing in a lake/river/stream. Useless human governance.