Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tatum, NM, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Presher
Member #

I just joined in Dec.. Its so nice up north, thats where my fav campground is, up in the Jemez. I also frequent up by Salida, CO. There are so may off road sites by Buena Vista. I'm just starting to get this whole thing together. I dont have a RTT but am also thinking camper shell??? too many options. I currently have a 25ft TT. WOW I checked the map your way out there. I will be in Roswell for the Alien Festival in July.

Your set up looks pretty cool. Let me know if you find anything worth going to up North. Maybe you can post a get together, I would be up to it.
Ok travelGAL. I shure will you do the same and let me know if you plan a trip I’ll see if I can make it. ✌

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm in Socorro! Cibola National Forest has a lot of very nice, very little visited, country.
There you are. Good to see you again on the Forums. dosent this nice weather make you want to get out ?
I recently picked up all the Gila National forest trail maps and was amazed at the hundreds of miles of trails we have down here. I think I will finally make it out this spring to wonder around some of this back country. I'm going to PNW rally in June if everything works out okay. I plan to take about a month to come back to Base camp via the NW states.

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

There you are. Good to see you again on the Forums. dosent this nice weather make you want to get out ?
I recently picked up all the Gila National forest trail maps and was amazed at the hundreds of miles of trails we have down here. I think I will finally make it out this spring to wonder around some of this back country. I'm going to PNW rally in June if everything works out okay. I plan to take about a month to come back to Base camp via the NW states.
Yes! I spent several hours driving MVUM roads near Magdalena I had never been on before. Still a bit cold to camp, but nice during the day!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
wow! I'm surprised how close we all are.
You guys and gals up there should get together for coffee and shop talk at least once a month at some central location, probably Albuq. Maybe even drag in a few of your friends and plan some outings.

Reactions: TravelerGAL

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I’m over here in Tatum. South east corner
Your as bad off as I am over here in the SW corner. Where do you go to ride the trails ?
I know there are other off road guys in my area but they are not organized in any way. All are most solo guys that just go out and do their thing. I wish I could vet a group together and plan some trips because we have such a vast BLM - National forest to explore.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That’s a good idea!!! In the summer we can always rent a group campground too.
I need to make some sort of trial run to test my equipment by late April to make sure I am ready for my PNW Rally trip in June if anyone is up to a nice week end about that time. I think I am up to about any location as long as I can get there in one day, camp out for two nights and days then another day to get back home.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

I need to make some sort of trial run to test my equipment by late April to make sure I am ready for my PNW Rally trip in June if anyone is up to a nice week end about that time. I think I am up to about any location as long as I can get there in one day, camp out for two nights and days then another day to get back home.
Doing some researching. Have you heard of Red Cloud Campground? Corona NM? There are some ruins about an hour away off road.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Doing some researching. Have you heard of Red Cloud Campground? Corona NM? There are some ruins about an hour away off road.
I watch a utube guy called "Rusty 78607" who travels all over NM for months at a time. I think I saw a video where he went to Red Cloud. He does a pretty good job, pretty down to earth guy who lives in central Texas. I'll look up something on Red Cloud, I do like ruins. What do you other NM guys think ?

Last edited:

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

I watch a utube guy called "Rusty 78607" who travels all over NM for months at a time. I think I saw a video where he went to Red Cloud. He does a pretty good job, pretty down to earth guy who lives in central Texas. I'll look up something on Red Cloud, I do like ruins. What do you other NM guys think ?

Great video of the area. I’ve never been South. My Saturdays off in March and April are March 21, April 11, 18.

AaronRidley

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Lunas, NM, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Ridley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5ADR
Great video of the area. I’ve never been South. My Saturdays off in March and April are March 21, April 11, 18.
Those dates should be good for me. I'd plan on getting there either a day early or early those mornings and I'd have to be back home that night for work the next day.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Cool. Let’s shoot for April 11th. I’ll be getting there Friday and staying till Sunday. We can pick a day to run to the ruins. I don’t have any Overlanding equipment yet so I’m bringing my TT. It’s all I have for now. Plus I need put one small trip under the Fords belt. I have no idea how it will handle or gas mileage and I still need to get the tires rotated and pack wheel bearings on the trailer. Should this be posted? In case any body else wants to show.

AaronRidley

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Lunas, NM, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Ridley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5ADR
Cool. Let’s shoot for April 11th. I’ll be getting there Friday and staying till Sunday. We can pick a day to run to the ruins. I don’t have any Overlanding equipment yet so I’m bringing my TT. It’s all I have for now. Plus I need put one small trip under the Fords belt. I have no idea how it will handle or gas mileage and I still need to get the tires rotated and pack wheel bearings on the trailer. Should this be posted? In case any body else wants to show.
11th works for me. I won’t mind if anyone else shows up if you post the event.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
April 11th should be a good date. Like @AaronRidley I think I will drive up on the 10th because of the distance for me. As far as i'm concerned all who want to come are welcome.
They say there is only 5 camping sites but the area is huge and each site could have two campers easily from what I could tell from the video. I kinda like the idea of a wagon trail circle with open area in the circle.