First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Tell me about your rig.
This is my 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2. It's still in the build stages and lacks bumpers and winch. 5 new tires are in the cab awaiting the front bumper build so they'll fit the front without rubbing on the existing valence under my front bumper. (pic attached showing the almost touching tire-fender area). My mods are the tires- 265/75/16, 2" lift, and 1" tire spacers. I'm happy with the stock gearing and select wheel traction on the LRD2. It will take me anywhere I want to go and bring me back. Most of my mod's are not mods but repair and replace items that didn't work when I bought it. My wants are for some off road driving lights, camp lighting and canopy or awning, but they can wait for awhile. I have all the portable solar panels, inverters and batteries for my camping set up and still working on my 1976 - 13' Scamp camp trailer or the milder road conditions. I don't have plans to take the trailer to far into the boonies. I can always take it as far as I can, unhook and proceed in the LRD2 further into the boonies if wanted. It'd pretty docile compared to your rig but @ age 85 I need a little more comfort that you might laugh at. :-)

Attachments

Reactions: Shamu

Pwagonmike

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tatum, NM, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Presher
Member #

I dont know why anyone would want any of the new stuff when they could be driving something as awesome as your Dodge power wagon. I have a dream truck (2) that I have been wanting for years but I'm running out of years to build them. I have an old 1967 international 3/4 ton for a build and didn't after my other International 4x4 parts truck was stolen and never recovered. Your rig falls into these catagories. See attachments for dream rigs.
Ya thank you. That is way cool!!iv been working on a modelA for the past couple months. ( not for overlanding)

Attachments

Pwagonmike

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tatum, NM, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Presher
Member #

This is my 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2. It's still in the build stages and lacks bumpers and winch. 5 new tires are in the cab awaiting the front bumper build so they'll fit the front without rubbing on the existing valence under my front bumper. (pic attached showing the almost touching tire-fender area). My mods are the tires- 265/75/16, 2" lift, and 1" tire spacers. I'm happy with the stock gearing and select wheel traction on the LRD2. It will take me anywhere I want to go and bring me back. Most of my mod's are not mods but repair and replace items that didn't work when I bought it. My wants are for some off road driving lights, camp lighting and canopy or awning, but they can wait for awhile. I have all the portable solar panels, inverters and batteries for my camping set up and still working on my 1976 - 13' Scamp camp trailer or the milder road conditions. I don't have plans to take the trailer to far into the boonies. I can always take it as far as I can, unhook and proceed in the LRD2 further into the boonies if wanted. It'd pretty docile compared to your rig but @ age 85 I need a little more comfort that you might laugh at. :-)
Wow ! That looks awesome. I’m glad to here you’re still wheeling at 85. Good job

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ya thank you. That is way cool!!iv been working on a modelA for the past couple months. ( not for overlanding)
That's what I learned to drive when I was 12 years old. My mom had a 1931 with a wooden pick up box where the rumble seat was supposed to be. A year later I was hill climbing with friends in my own 27 model A stripped down roadster I paid 25 $ for. Good luck on your restore if that's what your doing. She looks to nice to hot rod or boon dock in. Your a lucky man and I hope you keep her for the rest of your life like I didn't and wish I had. Same with your rig, It's irreplaceable jewelry. I really like you garage too. I don't have one and it makes things hard to work on without one.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Wow ! That looks awesome. I’m glad to here you’re still wheeling at 85. Good job
I'm just starting again after a near 30 years absense. Still dont know if I will make it because my knees have decided they have had enough miles on them. I still have hopes of getting out in the spring for a long adventure over several states. I can drive ok, I just cant walk very good without a cane.

Reactions: Pwagonmike

Tacoma_kelly

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Clovis, NM, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Bonner
Member #

Just wondering if there are any NM members.
Hey y’all.
I’m from Clovis and just joining to the off-roading and overlanding world. I drive a 2017 Tacoma and have only made a trip to Socorro and up into Colorado and ran a couple trails there.
Anyone have any good places around NM to go trail riding on a mostly stock truck or even overlanding routes? I have spacer lift (bought the truck with it) and all-terrain tires. I have a buddy that has a Jeep with a winch and few things done to it.
We both wanna get out and explore so any thing helps!

Thanks

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey y’all.
I’m from Clovis and just joining to the off-roading and overlanding world. I drive a 2017 Tacoma and have only made a trip to Socorro and up into Colorado and ran a couple trails there.
Anyone have any good places around NM to go trail riding on a mostly stock truck or even overlanding routes? I have spacer lift (bought the truck with it) and all-terrain tires. I have a buddy that has a Jeep with a winch and few things done to it.
We both wanna get out and explore so any thing helps!

Thanks
Nothing going on south of Socorro as far as I know. Lots of action out of Albuq and Santa fe area. Look on internet for NM4wheelers.com.. Good luck,happy trails !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I just looked and I think the website is NM4W.ORG

Organized in 1958!
It's the only one in NM that I know of aside from a bunch of jeep guys down in Las Cruces who like to rock crawl.

I know the NM4wheelers meet regularly in Albuq. If you will PM me your email address I will send you their monthly email they send me because I am a member at large. That means I'm a free loader member, no membership fee. LOL

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

It's the only one in NM that I know of aside from a bunch of jeep guys down in Las Cruces who like to rock crawl.

I know the NM4wheelers meet regularly in Albuq. If you will PM me your email address I will send you their monthly email they send me because I am a member at large. That means I'm a free loader member, no membership fee. LOL
NM4W is mostly Jeeps. I had a 2016 Colorado and proved myself to them LOL..... but as soon as I got my Dodge 1500 there wasnt really much for me to do..... SO, here I am!!!

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Hey our member # s. Are not very far apart. Kinda cool. TravelerGAL
I just joined in Dec.. Its so nice up north, thats where my fav campground is, up in the Jemez. I also frequent up by Salida, CO. There are so may off road sites by Buena Vista. I'm just starting to get this whole thing together. I dont have a RTT but am also thinking camper shell??? too many options. I currently have a 25ft TT. WOW I checked the map your way out there. I will be in Roswell for the Alien Festival in July.

Your set up looks pretty cool. Let me know if you find anything worth going to up North. Maybe you can post a get together, I would be up to it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I've just entered the world of overlanding and I'm based here in NM just south of Albuquerque.
I'm down here in Silver city area. I know there is someone in Socorro and Adam in Clovis I. Sorry I dont know their name of the gentleman in Socorro . Check out the Maps section for other locations.