Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Just as an FYI. We were thinking of going to Bottomless Lakes outside Roswell this weekend. Looks like most state parks now are open, but only Thurs-Sun, 8AM - 5PM. You can thank your state govt for not having resources in place... after being closed for 3 months, and now this. They claim, get this, there are not enough employees to open full time. Did they all die of 'da 'Rona? How can you run full time and open before, but not after? No camping. No fires. No groups larger than 8. Social distancing.

Oh, and the kicker? MASKS ARE REQUIRED in all state parks. Even if you are standing in a lake/river/stream. Useless human governance.

Most folks in this part of the state do not wear masks. Majority of people voting in the primaries last week were not wearing masks.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Going stir crazy. Just canceled my RV spot in Roswell for 4th July. They canceled the alien festival plus it’s hot out there. We were over 90 at over 6000ft. Sun is scorching. Anything happening up in Taos or the mountain country? Needing some tree cover stat!!! No AC in the casa....

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Please stay safe everyone. Be hard on the people who don’t take this seriously and not the governor who has to make tough and oftentimes unpopular decisions to ensure people comply. Let’s keep NM from spiking. State employees have families too.
Interesting selection of words for an overlanding forum...rules for thee and not for me...

Last edited:

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

Going stir crazy. Just canceled my RV spot in Roswell for 4th July. They canceled the alien festival plus it’s hot out there. We were over 90 at over 6000ft. Sun is scorching. Anything happening up in Taos or the mountain country? Needing some tree cover stat!!! No AC in the casa....
Another option is the Gila - campsites are generally 8k' or higher.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
3 weeks ago the area in and around the Guadalupe Mtns was hot (still fun exploring and using cow tracks to bypass washed out roads). Concur with Brian’s recommendation.
The Guadalupe were definitely starting to heat up over Memorial Day. Moving north into the Sacramento Mountains was definitely nice.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

I’m probably the last in this thread to discover this website but Jeeptheusa.com has a list of trails by state (western such as NM) along with gpx files.
Nope not the last. LOL I will go and check it out. I own a big a$$ Ford F-250 so my trails are limited. :( (sometimes wish I didn’t own my RV it limits me so much)

• Haha
Reactions: Shamu

FFJOORD

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tierra Amarilla, NM
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Carrillo
Member #

The Carson and Rio Grande NF has been fairly cool to the touch. Not much happening anywhere per se but if you make it happen you’ll have a blast. The Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad is operating only from the Colorado side and not out of Chama, but 11,000’ elevation does bring respite to the blistering heat below. Northern NM has hovered in the high 70’s and 80’s in town and the 60’s-70’s up high

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Spent Fri-Tues at Taos Ski Village. 75/42F every day. Its quiet up there since the mountain is closed. A few hotels are open. Arroyo Seca was kinda busy though. Hiked WIlliams Lake trail fathers day. 9,300' to 11,100' in 2.2 miles. Busy trail Sunday but quiet Monday morning. Bumps grocery and Stray Dog Cantina have somewhat limited hours but are open.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Spent Fri-Tues at Taos Ski Village. 75/42F every day. Its quiet up there since the mountain is closed. A few hotels are open. Arroyo Seca was kinda busy though. Hiked WIlliams Lake trail fathers day. 9,300' to 11,100' in 2.2 miles. Busy trail Sunday but quiet Monday morning. Bumps grocery and Stray Dog Cantina have somewhat limited hours but are open.
Is the Bavarian open?

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Is the Bavarian open?
No. Looked like they are ready to when they get the chance. We parked there and started the trailhead form their parking lot. The Edelweiss looked post apocolyptic. Looks as if there was plenty of snow on the ground when they closed. Now it is full of 2' high weeds, snow shovels and lumber laying around. It was weird. We sat on the patio area below it at the base of the lift and had a beer. Quiet and relaxing.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Monday I got back from doing the NM BDR. Left ABQ for Cruces on the 15th. The first 2 days were warm but the rest was great. No rain, so no mud. Every day had great scenery. I've got trip report going in the "overland trips now or then" section. The Jemez and the Tusas had so many people camping it looked like the 4th of July. I guess everyone's sick of being cooped up, so they're all going camping (together).

Tacoma_kelly

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Clovis, NM, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Bonner
Member #

Coming from eastern NM, is there really any back road/“off-road” route to get up towards Red River? I looked at the BDR but that seems to cut out west. Just looking for alternative option than a highway drive the entire way.