Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Is was kinda hot and dusty for that. We camped on the ridge off of Sunspot highway. @TravelerGAL it seems a lot of OB members were in Cloudcroft this weekend.
why do I not get notifications when I’m tagged. This ain’t the first one. Ugh!!! That was a fun weekend. Went up to Cedro Peak Saturday, fun ride. I may of been a little over excited at the mud hole. We need to have a meet up for NM soon.

Attachments

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Thank you we need to all to get together and plan a trip
I tried once at the beginning of the year the the big C hit. A few were going. It was a weekend trip at the campground in Corona. Base camp with some exploring. Maybe soon again. I’m not really into computer meet ups. Can’t wait till things open up again. Patience isn’t my strong suit.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
why do I not get notifications when I’m tagged. This ain’t the first one. Ugh!!! That was a fun weekend. Went up to Cedro Peak Saturday, fun ride. I may of been a little over excited at the mud hole. We need to have a meet up for NM soon.
I’ve noticed that the notifications are very hit or miss As well.

I haven’t planned that far ahead, but I’m kinda hoping to do Gila NF next year.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I was up there little over a week ago I didn't run that trail but I saw a lot of side-by-sides going up it.
Hey Rich, did you see where the national parks people must give you free admission to the national parks as of Nov 11th ? I know you had problems on your NM tour awhile back. Maybe Mr. Trump has ended that glitch in the system now.

Reactions: Boppa's Travels

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ya. I’ll get another later. My RV has now sat for over a year today. I’m sorry to hear about the cancer :( yes you must make it to the PNW. I miss that area. My kids wouldn’t know what to do with the trailer if I gave it to them. Daughter only wants to tent camp and son doesn’t drive. So I may trade it off for a teardrop but they are so darn expensive. 48k.... WOW!!! It was nice to get away but there were so many people out it was noisy and dusty. Traffic on the trails. I hope your feeling better soon.
Sorry I didn't answer sooner but OB forum emails are not being sent to me for some reason and it's taken awhile to figure out how I can access the forums through the ob web site.

I hope you can get a small trailer that is trail capable for a lot less than $48 k. I see them all the time for under $16 k on craigslist.

I finally got my winch in today so now I can officially go on trails that require one. Most of the group outings require a winch and since I want to get up to the PNW soon, I know I will need one on some trails there.

My poor daughter went to Las Cruces two weeks ago to have a week end with her son @ Ruidoso. They barely got there and all four of them came down with c-19. She is in day 11 and had to go to the ER tonight for help. She is 64 and has heart murmurs and respiratory asthma problems. I'm praying she is okay tonight.
Lanlubber Jim

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I’ve noticed that the notifications are very hit or miss As well.

I haven’t planned that far ahead, but I’m kinda hoping to do Gila NF next year.
You better look me up if you get over here to the gila. We can hit some trails together and maybe find a fishing hole. :-)

Reactions: Sparksalot

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Looks like you found a DEEP mud hole :-)

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hello I’m new to the forum and I’m in Alamogorodo
Hello and welcome to OB. I'm over here in Silver City area at the edge of the Gila. When you Alamo, El Paso and Cruces guys come over this way send me a PM so we can get together and find a neat trail to explore. I am @Landlubber. My rig is a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2. I'm just getting it finished and almost ready for some trail trials. @007 where are you man. I need to see your solar set up so I can finish mine.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

For the Eastern NM folks I am finishing details for a get together at the brewery where my wife is the head brewer in downtown Lubbock. The Brewery LBK. Tried earlier this year but 'da 'Rona made that fall apart. I'm looking at the 2nd weekend in December. Probably Sunday as they are open for brunch.

Reactions: Sparksalot

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
And without a Snorkel too !
Hello @FireMedicPQ1. Will you be coming down my way anytime soon ?
Howdy - we did the middle section of the BDR (TorC to Grants), which included Chloride Canyon a few months back. It was spectacular. That was a bit north of you. But, I loved our trip through the Gila and want to do more exploring. Likely we won''t be back on the trail until spring.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Howdy - we did the middle section of the BDR (TorC to Grants), which included Chloride Canyon a few months back. It was spectacular. That was a bit north of you. But, I loved our trip through the Gila and want to do more exploring. Likely we won''t be back on the trail until spring.
Maybe I'll see you then. I'm aching to do that same trail now that I have the right equipment on my rig. How would you rate that trail for difficulty ?

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Maybe I'll see you then. I'm aching to do that same trail now that I have the right equipment on my rig. How would you rate that trail for difficulty ?
Chloride Canyon has some difficult sections (steep, rocky, and tight switch-backs), but with 4WD and a little ground clearance, you should be good. I towed my teardrop and didn't have any issues.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Chloride Canyon has some difficult sections (steep, rocky, and tight switch-backs), but with 4WD and a little ground clearance, you should be good. I towed my teardrop and didn't have any issues.
Great rig, I need to find me a cheap used tear drop if I can. Pandemic has made them rare and expensive. Thanks for the pic's, I gotta go now !

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

The BDR through the Gila is completely straightforward driving. (Caveat - might be different if it's wet). The FR180 section (near Reserve) is slow going because it's really rocky (I imagine it would be obnoxious on a bike), but again it's not tricky at all. (It also has an easy "alt" route if you want to avoid the rocks.)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I’ll be in cloudcroft for the Christmas weekend. Hit me up if anybody’s interested in a trail cruis. Further out plans would be great too.
Nice place to be at Christmas during Christmas holidays. I use to go a lot when I had kids and my wife was alive.
We use to go to the dump and watch the bears rummage for food. Good deer hunting there too. A lot of nice trails that even a 2wd rig can manage. Very scenic as well. Enjoy, and I'm hoping some of us NM guys and gals can can do some trails in 2021.

I drove over the Black Range (hwy 152) between Mimbres and Caballo lake last Wednesday. The Mountain parks (6) were all open along the 60 mile drive. There was no one there, all were empty. Only saw 4 cars along the way. Forest trails were open too. Traffic not the same when I got to Caballo reservoir and Elephant Butt lake at Truth or Consequences. Lot of hunters, boaters, campers out on I-25. I've Never seen so many campers and cargo trailers on the road going both N and S on I-25.