Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Guinn
Member #

Has anyone seen or heard about the condition of Gooselake Trail this year in Red River NM?
I was up there little over a week ago I didn't run that trail but I saw a lot of side-by-sides going up it.
Yah, I heard nothing wider than a Jeep can make it now. I have narrower wheelbase than A Jeep so I think I will be good. I'll be up the in OCT format few days

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
This was last year. It was a weekend and the trail and the top parking area was PACKED with UTVs. We were the only trucks up there. Unfortunately, a few (or many) bad apples destroy the beauty for everyone else. The area around the the lake was littered with poop and TP, and trash. It was awful. I am ashamed in how people treat the outdoors. I am afraid it may be worse this year as the forests around NM have been trashed. It is too bad, because Goose Lake is an incredible place. Sorry for the soapbox...

Attachments

jason_guinn27

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Guinn
Member #

This was last year. It was a weekend and the trail and the top parking area was PACKED with UTVs. We were the only trucks up there. Unfortunately, a few (or many) bad apples destroy the beauty for everyone else. The area around the the lake was littered with poop and TP, and trash. It was awful. I am ashamed in how people treat the outdoors. I am afraid it may be worse this year as the forests around NM have been trashed. It is too bad, because Goose Lake is an incredible place. Sorry for the soapbox...
Wow that sucks. It doesnt suprise me, I go out to the mountains west of Rio Rancho, and it's almost a dump site for those "bad apples". Its horrible. I personally cant imagine how anyone would think this behavior is ok. Pack it in, pack it out, how hard is that to understand. Well, at least you gave me a heads up.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Wow that sucks. It doesnt suprise me, I go out to the mountains west of Rio Rancho, and it's almost a dump site for those "bad apples". Its horrible. I personally cant imagine how anyone would think this behavior is ok. Pack it in, pack it out, how hard is that to understand. Well, at least you gave me a heads up.
On a good note - the water crossing at the start of the trail is pretty darn cool.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
When it's true, tell it like it is my friend. In my area the kids run wild around the lakes on ATV's without supervision while mom and dad party it up on booze with their friends. It's impossible to fish or have peace and quiet. Loud boom boxes prevail everywhere. I won't go to the local spots at all during any holiday.

jason_guinn27

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Guinn
Member #

When it's true, tell it like it is my friend. In my area the kids run wild around the lakes on ATV's without supervision while mom and dad party it up on booze with their friends. It's impossible to fish or have peace and quiet. Loud boom boxes prevail everywhere. I won't go to the local spots at all during any holiday.
Damn, I think I'm going during Octoberfest. I might be changing plans. That sounds the complete opposite of what I like about the outdoors. My campsite is far enough away but maybe I will find some other trails or just go somewhere else. I'm so glad to get all this info now. I was planning on fishing up there too but not like that.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Damn, I think I'm going during Octoberfest. I might be changing plans. That sounds the complete opposite of what I like about the outdoors. My campsite is far enough away but maybe I will find some other trails or just go somewhere else. I'm so glad to get all this info now. I was planning on fishing up there too but not like that.
The Gila area or up around Luna lake is less crowded and a little far for the UTV-ATV crowd.

Reactions: jason_guinn27

jason_guinn27

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Guinn
Member #

The Gila area or up around Luna lake is less crowded and a little far for the UTV-ATV crowd.
That's not a bad idea!! And actually I've never fished there, heard it's to die for. I always get the Gila trout stamp every year but I think I will try to convince my group to go there. Awesome idea, thanks!!!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I was just down in Cloudcroft for the weekend. I should of posted earlier.... looking for an event on two weeks.....
Hey, did you get rid of your pick up truck ? The jeep looks sharp. I never did get to go anywhere except to the hospital for 5 weeks due to colon cancer. I'm Still trying to get out in October for a trip to the PNW. I'll be traveling a little lighter since I gave my Scamp to my daughter in Oregon.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

I was just down in Cloudcroft for the weekend. I should of posted earlier.... looking for an event on two weeks.....
Hey, did you get rid of your pick up truck ? The jeep looks sharp. I never did get to go anywhere except to the hospital for 5 weeks due to colon cancer. I'm Still trying to get out in October for a trip to the PNW. I'll be traveling a little lighter since I gave my Scamp to my daughter in Oregon.
Ya. I’ll get another later. My RV has now sat for over a year today. I’m sorry to hear about the cancer :( yes you must make it to the PNW. I miss that area. My kids wouldn’t know what to do with the trailer if I gave it to them. Daughter only wants to tent camp and son doesn’t drive. So I may trade it off for a teardrop but they are so darn expensive. 48k.... WOW!!! It was nice to get away but there were so many people out it was noisy and dusty. Traffic on the trails. I hope your feeling better soon.

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

Ya. I’ll get another later. My RV has now sat for over a year today. I’m sorry to hear about the cancer :( yes you must make it to the PNW. I miss that area. My kids wouldn’t know what to do with the trailer if I gave it to them. Daughter only wants to tent camp and son doesn’t drive. So I may trade it off for a teardrop but they are so darn expensive. 48k.... WOW!!! It was nice to get away but there were so many people out it was noisy and dusty. Traffic on the trails. I hope your feeling better soon.
Try any of the camping sites along Westside Rd south of High Rolls?

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Try any of the camping sites along Westside Rd south of High Rolls?
Is was kinda hot and dusty for that. We camped on the ridge off of Sunspot highway. @TravelerGAL it seems a lot of OB members were in Cloudcroft this weekend.

Attachments