Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

April 11th should be a good date. Like @AaronRidley I think I will drive up on the 10th because of the distance for me. As far as i'm concerned all who want to come are welcome.
They say there is only 5 camping sites but the area is huge and each site could have two campers easily from what I could tell from the video. I kinda like the idea of a wagon trail circle with open area in the circle.

I’m thinking of making a run this weekend and checking things out. It would make a good Sunday drive. I did that with Villanueva SP and realized it was too busy for me. I’ll take some photos when I get there.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

It looks like there is a lot of room. We should get the one with the two tables and fire ring. You don’t have to watch the whole video unless you like little dogs. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Cberg1975

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

It looks like there is a lot of room. We should get the one with the two tables and fire ring. You don’t have to watch the whole video unless you like little dogs. lol
I think that site is the last site of the five sites.
First one of us to get there should grab it and site #4 as well. I haven't decided yet if I will bring my trailer or a tent. I doubt the trailer will be ready by the 11th. Too much work I can't do and need to find someone to do the work for me.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

I think that site is the last site of the five sites.
First one of us to get there should grab it and site #4 as well. I haven't decided yet if I will bring my trailer or a tent. I doubt the trailer will be ready by the 11th. Too much work I can't do and need to find someone to do the work for me.
Bring what you can. This will be my first run of the year. Will have to drain tanks and sanitize things along with some yearly maintenance too. I think we are out of the danger of hard freezing??? Maybe. I hope... lol

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

The campground is at 7600', so while I think we would have to be unlucky to get a hard freeze, it's not impossible. (The average date of last frost in Socorro, 4500', is late April).

Reactions: TravelerGAL

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Bring what you can. This will be my first run of the year. Will have to drain tanks and sanitize things along with some yearly maintenance too. I think we are out of the danger of hard freezing??? Maybe. I hope... lol
If you wanna find out just plant something, it's sure to freeze.

• Haha

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Am I missing it. I don’t see it on rally point?
use the drop down arrow next to rally point on the top tab bar then go to upcoming events its on the map with a red flag. I can't use my phone since the Apple app isn't working it was all done off the computer

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
use the drop down arrow next to rally point on the top tab bar then go to upcoming events its on the map with a red flag. I can't use my phone since the Apple app isn't working it was all done off the computer
Or go to the Overland Bound Meetups sub-forum and find
Southern NM - Run to the Ruins
There's a link there to the rally point

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I might as well be considered in NM closer to NM than any of the other TX meetups. lol. Im in El Paso TX
I feel the same way about Arizona. Im closer to the active groups there than in NM. Hopefully one by one we'll get enough guys to form a trail group out of the El Paso, Las Cruces, Alamogordo, Silver City, Deming, and Truth or Consequences areas. You have a couple of neat guys there in El Paso. @007 is one of them.

NM has so many National Forest to visit. I could spend the rest of my life in this state alone and never see all the great places NM has to offer. So come on up and play, El Paso dosent have much to offer unless you like to sand dune wheel or head out to Big Bend.

jmsuitter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Paso TX
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Suitter
Member #

I feel the same way about Arizona. Im closer to the active groups there than in NM. Hopefully one by one we'll get enough guys to form a trail group out of the El Paso, Las Cruces, Alamogordo, Silver City, Deming, and Truth or Consequences areas. You have a couple of neat guys there in El Paso. @007 is one of them.

NM has so many National Forest to visit. I could spend the rest of my life in this state alone and never see all the great places NM has to offer. So come on up and play, El Paso dosent have much to offer unless you like to sand dune wheel or head out to Big Bend.
Yeah I've been in El Paso for 15 years now. Sad to say everything here is not only limited but trashed which is really sad. So much mass dumping/shooting trash left in all areas. Been exploring south NM for this past year even before i got my 4wd. Plans for when things open back up will be more exploration of the Gila. Looking forward to trying my hand at some astro photograpy at the IDSS and Cosmic campground.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Yeah I've been in El Paso for 15 years now. Sad to say everything here is not only limited but trashed which is really sad. So much mass dumping/shooting trash left in all areas. Been exploring south NM for this past year even before i got my 4wd. Plans for when things open back up will be more exploration of the Gila. Looking forward to trying my hand at some astro photograpy at the IDSS and Cosmic campground.
Up near Carrizozo is a small place Valley of Fire. Nothing offroad, but it's a good place for some clear night skies. If you go there from Alamogordo, you'll pass by Three Rivers as well.

For just getting out, Gila cliff dwellings is a fun place to explore.

None of these require an off road vehicle, but they can make for a nice family single-night-trip outing, minor hiking, etc.

jmsuitter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Paso TX
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Suitter
Member #

Up near Carrizozo is a small place Valley of Fire. Nothing offroad, but it's a good place for some clear night skies. If you go there from Alamogordo, you'll pass by Three Rivers as well.

For just getting out, Gila cliff dwellings is a fun place to explore.

None of these require an off road vehicle, but they can make for a nice family single-night-trip outing, minor hiking, etc.
Yep been to the Gila Cliff Dwellings great views and history hike. Will have to check out Valley of Fire. Thanks. Love the wildlife in the Gila very abundant mornings and viewing when i was there. Even got to see a juvenille cougar.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Good deal, when you come this way let me know and maybe we can bum around the Gila.
I have all the national park trail maps. There is some great aerial views at this altitude.)6000 ft.) When I could see good I was amazed at the milky way here at night. Now there is too much lite pollution to suit me. I'm only 164 miles from Mesa st and Montana ave.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yep been to the Gila Cliff Dwellings great views and history hike. Will have to check out Valley of Fire. Thanks. Love the wildlife in the Gila very abundant mornings and viewing when i was there. Even got to see a juvenille
cougar.
Elk, deer, javelina, turkey, black bear, cougar, all in my front yard from time to time.