Launch Member

Traveler III

Puerto Rico
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Serra
Member #

Edgar how do you like the coil conversion. We explored a little of Dominican Republic and it was beautiful. The suspension would be my fear on a island with very few parts available to fix it. Did you have the truck before the conversion?
Oh, I love the conversion, I did have the LR before the conversion, it did start to show some problems with the air bags, and I just decided to go straight to the coil over since the air bag suspension is much expensive here in the Dominican Republic, I honestly gotta say I was a bit skeptical with the conversion but once I installed it I fell in love with it.
Most part I get online from UK or US, the bad side is that I use a courier for the packages which charge by the weight, so heavy parts become a bit expensive, but so far so good, I got the HD suspension because I'm currently installing a winch on the front and a drawer system on the back.

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

Driving an 05 LR3 with 90k miles, engine light came on, code says the fuel bank is too lean. Cleaned Mass air flow sensor, throttle body and EGR valve. Air filter is fairly new. Thinking about doing a fuel injector cleaning and have checked the intake to make sure there's no leaks. Haven't pulled the manifold off, so assuming the seal is still good. Other than that, I'll have to replace the oxygen sensors. Not difficult, but can be pricey as there's 4 of them. Anyone have this problem or have any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Driving an 05 LR3 with 90k miles, engine light came on, code says the fuel bank is too lean. Cleaned Mass air flow sensor, throttle body and EGR valve. Air filter is fairly new. Thinking about doing a fuel injector cleaning and have checked the intake to make sure there's no leaks. Haven't pulled the manifold off, so assuming the seal is still good. Other than that, I'll have to replace the oxygen sensors. Not difficult, but can be pricey as there's 4 of them. Anyone have this problem or have any ideas? Thanks

Run some Seafoam through it, I've got one O2 senser throwing that same message every now and then.

OB#3799

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

I had the same trouble code. I racked my brain, two mechanics couldn't figure it out then a third mechanic poured water over the intake manifold and said, "hear that?"....I heard nothing but he said the injector seals were bad. $140 fixed the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

Run some Seafoam through it, I've got one O2 senser throwing that same message every now and then.

OB#3799
Good idea, have never used it before but was actually thinking about doing that. Figure it can't hurt anything. Plus I recently had to run a couple tanks of regular unleaded cuz it was all that was available where I was at. Have been running premium since and added injector cleaner, hoping I didn't gum up the injectors.

Rover7284

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

I had the same trouble code. I racked my brain, two mechanics couldn't figure it out then a third mechanic poured water over the intake manifold and said, "hear that?"....I heard nothing but he said the injector seals were bad. $140 fixed the problem.

Thanks, have been thinking about that as the problem. The codes apparently are usually triggered by an air leak somewhere in the intake system. Was hoping to not have to pull the top off, but if it comes to it I'll give it a try.

Contributor I

I would interested to know how it drives after you add the drawers and winch. How high does it sit? Similar to the off-road height?

Contributor I

AndyH, how do you like the Sport? I often thought the sport would make a wonderful long range rig. It just handles so good on the road. How is it on the trail?

Edgar Serra

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Puerto Rico
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Serra
Member #

I would interested to know how it drives after you add the drawers and winch. How high does it sit? Similar to the off-road height?
Just finished the winch instal and I'd say it drives better than before without the weight because of the HD Coilover suspension set up... The ride height it similar to the off-road setting, since I went with the 2" lift

Reactions: DanR

AndyH

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Warriewood NSW, Australia
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Hempsall
Member #

AndyH, how do you like the Sport? I often thought the sport would make a wonderful long range rig. It just handles so good on the road. How is it on the trail?
Hi mate, love the sport. Great off road. On the trail the work really well. My mate with a patrol couldn't believe how well it went over some really rough bits of track on our last trip. Only downside is a bit less room inside for storage.

Sent from my E5823 using OB Talk mobile app

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Thanks, have been thinking about that as the problem. The codes apparently are usually triggered by an air leak somewhere in the intake system. Was hoping to not have to pull the top off, but if it comes to it I'll give it a try.
You only need to pull the top plenum off. There are 8 or so 10mm long bolts and a small gasket (cheap at NAPA) from what I can remember. If memory serves me, the O-rings were special. The guy got them at the dealer but I am sure any of the normal Rover parts suppliers will have them.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

I have a Discovery related question: the stock “cabin air filter” for the Discovery is kind of a joke. It keeps bugs and rock out but when you are traveling down a dirt road behind a bunch of your best Overland Bound members the dust is choking. Last trip I placed a piece of open cell foam (not really filter foam) in that rectangular air intake opening on the passenger side. It didn’t help and I was thinking about oiling it or adapting a paper filter to fit that opening. I have looked on the usual Rover forums and have not seen anything that would do the trick. Anyone else seen a good idea to solve this problem? Thanks!

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

I would recommend trying the grey colored filter. It has carbon in it, and filters out more than the plain white kind. However, they are more expensive.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using OB Talk mobile app

This is the factory cabin air filter. It is just a small strip of foam that runs along the cowl.