Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Paper filters are better for dirt, the foam allows better airflow, but also more dust. I always carry paper for the dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: McMurf

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Why have I not seen this thread before now? I'm on my third Land Rover although the first one probably doesn't really count. It was a Freelander 1 (Please accept my apollogies). My second was a Discovery 2 which was (in my opinion) far superior. Now I'm driving the LR of my dreams...... a Defender. My only regret is that it's a 90 and not a 110.

Hers is my pride and joy on our last trip away

2017-08-19 15.11.26.jpg

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Ok gents, those of us with later model discos know the pain of living with the 4.6 's. Blown head gaskets, slipped sleeves, general overheating...to call a Disco, especially a disco 2 reliable is pretty much a joke. We all dream of dropping in a reliable, more powerful core, but very few have done it without completely hacking the truck up. My rebuilt older version 4.0 block is drinking water, so what to do...spend another few grand and top hat the block, if it isn't beyond repair, or dive into a swap. I think I've talked myself into turning my beloved disco over to Trailhead 4x4, they will drop in a 4.8 or 5.3 Chevy LS motor, completely rebuilt, using the Rover trans, wiring, and BCM. More horsepower, better fuel mileage, and best of all, those motors will be around forever. The install they do looks factory, they generate all the adapters in house, but there is no do-it-yourself kit available as of yet. I've got to talk to them after they get back from SEMA and get a timeline on when they can work me in. I'll post updates here and on my build thread.

OB#3799

Reactions: Tinker and DanR

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think I've talked myself into turning my beloved disco over to Trailhead 4x4, they will drop in a 4.8 or 5.3 Chevy LS motor,
Wow, that will be a nice upgrade. I really hope the 5.0 DI V8 in my LR4 is solid. A lot of the pre-2013's have had issues with timing chain guides and whatnot... They also get gummed up on the back of the valves due to carbon buildup (DI engine issue).

mattarm

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kansas
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

There a several Gen IV LS swaps going into defenders and discos. I am doing one now. A guy in SoCal named Nicholas Markiw makes an adapter that maintains stock drivetrain geometry from xcase back.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

There a several Gen IV LS swaps going into defenders and discos. I am doing one now. A guy in SoCal named Nicholas Markiw makes an adapter that maintains stock drivetrain geometry from xcase back.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I may get in touch with him, but from everything I've added up, the cost is around $10k anyway I go, all a matter of how much greyer I want my hair to end up when it's all said and done...[emoji23]

OB#3799

mattarm

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kansas
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

$10K is fairly accurate. The adapter Nick offers matches the 6L80E with the LT230 and runs ~$1200. The donor motor/trans will be anywhere from $2-5K (if you go new/crate you are easily into the 10-15 range). Outsourcing the engine harness pruning from the donor will run you $300, $1000 if you go replacement via Speartech or the like and obviously $0 if you do it yourself. Pruning the harness gets you to a basic 4 wire setup (power, starter, fuel pump & CEL). I have heard of folks using the stock radiator without issue. I went replacement route for $800. Seems like $500-1500 is where most land here. At least another $1-2K in dog and cat parts (exhaust manifolds, y-pipe, fuel pump, etc) and you are sitting at $7-10K. Stock gauges can be used by adding sensors to the engine. I decided to replace all with CANBUS style driven by the computer (which will need to be tuned in order to accommodate the swap).

I am not finished with mine but if I had to do all over I would have sourced a car (Camaro/Corvette) motor/trans over the Sierra drivetrain I picked up. Mine only had 13,000 miles on it and is basically brand new, but the intake height and accessory configuration of the truck has created some additional challenges. The car motor is lower and the belt/accessory configuration would have been a better match for my Defender - and likely the Disco.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

$10K is fairly accurate. The adapter Nick offers matches the 6L80E with the LT230 and runs ~$1200. The donor motor/trans will be anywhere from $2-5K (if you go new/crate you are easily into the 10-15 range). Outsourcing the engine harness pruning from the donor will run you $300, $1000 if you go replacement via Speartech or the like and obviously $0 if you do it yourself. Pruning the harness gets you to a basic 4 wire setup (power, starter, fuel pump & CEL). I have heard of folks using the stock radiator without issue. I went replacement route for $800. Seems like $500-1500 is where most land here. At least another $1-2K in dog and cat parts (exhaust manifolds, y-pipe, fuel pump, etc) and you are sitting at $7-10K. Stock gauges can be used by adding sensors to the engine. I decided to replace all with CANBUS style driven by the computer (which will need to be tuned in order to accommodate the swap).

I am not finished with mine but if I had to do all over I would have sourced a car (Camaro/Corvette) motor/trans over the Sierra drivetrain I picked up. Mine only had 13,000 miles on it and is basically brand new, but the intake height and accessory configuration of the truck has created some additional challenges. The car motor is lower and the belt/accessory configuration would have been a better match for my Defender - and likely the Disco.
Glad my thinking lines up with others who've been down the same road, I've also heard the same about truck vs car motors fitment. Good info here, I'll be starting on mine soon. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

OB#3799

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
I was going to put in the new Cummins 2.8 Repower diesel in the Santana, but came across a low mileage 300TDI with a full drivetrain for a great price. Will save me 10 to 15k over the Cummins install. Building up my axles first and then converting the Santana to 4 link custom suspension and coilovers. Body and frame have no rust coming from Spain and it's LHD. Will also be building a full rollcage/exoskeleton. Work on it starts next month.

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
My P38 Range Rover has been awesome even with all the typical P38 niggles. Never left me stranded and up until last month, never leaked oil on the ground. Fixed now. She has taken me to Baja twice, Moab 3x, Death Valley 5x, and numerous other places exploring all over the Sierras the past 9 years.

The LR3 is a solid vehicle and primarily my wife's. But it has also been to Moab and Death Valley and around the Sierras and tromping through snow and the desert.

Can never have just one rover, always need a backup...

Reactions: DanR