Launch Member

Influencer I

Shorewood, IL
First Name
Brandt
Last Name
Fick
Member #

Drive an '05 LR3. Prior to this always had F150s. So far I like it, but have not had a real chance to test its off road capabilities. Also first time I've ever had an adjustable air suspension. Recently bought wheels and tires to switch from the 19 inch to 18 inch size, more all-terrain tire options and better side wall strength. Added a roof rack with basket and figure I'll be adding and making modifications to this rig over the next couple years.

Reactions: D3Overland

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
Hi Guys,

If you'll excuse the terrible pictures this is my 2006 Land Rover Discovery /LR 3 HSE 2.7 TDV6.

I've had it since 2013 and absolutely love it, done a few bits to it but it's mostly stock.

- Prospeed Roof Rack
- Prospeed rear access ladder
- Sump / Underbelly protection
- Prospeed Compressor Guard
- JLR Light Guards
- Cooper Zeon LTZs @ 255/55/19

All the wishbone arms have been changed to the slightly more robust ones from the Armoured D3 / RRS.

Dual Battery system and power panel added to the rear loadspace for USB charging and switches for power management and scene lights etc.

Tried many LED Lightbar combinations over the past few years but none I'm happy with yet so it's currently bare while they sit in my garage awaiting a winters day to fit when I get the time. The RTT is gone now as I just wasn't getting enough use out of it. Much prefer to sleep in the back or a tent on the ground. Generally the less weight on the roof the better for my piece of mind.

Contributor I

Edgar how do you like the coil conversion. We explored a little of Dominican Republic and it was beautiful. The suspension would be my fear on a island with very few parts available to fix it. Did you have the truck before the conversion?

Reactions: Edgar Serra

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
Cracking looking D3...nice colour as well ;-) where did you get the under body protection?
The underbody protection is a mixture of Prospeed for the Compressor guard (which is a must, as you can jack the whole car on it despite it being previously the most vulnerable part) and an independent maker called Next Generation.

The Next Generation stuff was a guy trying to set up his own business on the back of an idea from the Disco3 forum. He knocked up some 6mm Aluminium ones and they looked really good but a bit too much flex in them for the size so I said I'd like to see one in Steel.
The one I have is the prototype (1 of 1 made) in Steel and is 5mm thick - it goes all the way back to the rail beneath the gearbox so a bit further than the Mantec ones. It's taken any bashes I've given it with only a few scratches and no dents so I'm incredibly pleased with it.

As far as I know the guy gave the game up as any attempts I've made to contact him have been met with a dead end since.

Only problem I have with it is keeping the surface rust off but given the colour of the car I'm thinking of covering it in Raptor coating in the Spring.

DanR

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Silverdale, WA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Hi Guys,

If you'll excuse the terrible pictures this is my 2006 Land Rover Discovery /LR 3 HSE 2.7 TDV6.

I've had it since 2013 and absolutely love it, done a few bits to it but it's mostly stock.

- Prospeed Roof Rack
- Prospeed rear access ladder
- Sump / Underbelly protection
- Prospeed Compressor Guard
- JLR Light Guards
- Cooper Zeon LTZs @ 255/55/19

All the wishbone arms have been changed to the slightly more robust ones from the Armoured D3 / RRS.

Dual Battery system and power panel added to the rear loadspace for USB charging and switches for power management and scene lights etc.

Tried many LED Lightbar combinations over the past few years but none I'm happy with yet so it's currently bare while they sit in my garage awaiting a winters day to fit when I get the time. The RTT is gone now as I just wasn't getting enough use out of it. Much prefer to sleep in the back or a tent on the ground. Generally the less weight on the roof the better for my piece of mind.

How's the noise level with the Prospeed rack, any likes/dislikes about it?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using OB Talk mobile app

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
The prospeed rack is absolutely silent up to around 90MPH then you get a faint whistle. It also has no noticeable impact on MPG.

The best thing about it is the mesh floor, it's incredibly strong and by it's nature things can be secured and lashed to it regardless of their shape or stacking. It's the most versatile bit of kit for the roof that I've ever seen. Really wouldn't consider anything else to be honest.
The only single thing I don't like about it is that now, after 5 years, the fibreglass deflector at the front is fading a bit and needs a good cutting compound on it every 6 months to keep it looking good but apart from that I haven't got a single fault with the rack.

The matching ladder is a must too, the shape is so much better than other makes.

Reactions: DanR

DanR

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Silverdale, WA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Reed
Member #

The prospeed rack is absolutely silent up to around 90MPH then you get a faint whistle. It also has no noticeable impact on MPG.

The best thing about it is the mesh floor, it's incredibly strong and by it's nature things can be secured and lashed to it regardless of their shape or stacking. It's the most versatile bit of kit for the roof that I've ever seen. Really wouldn't consider anything else to be honest.
The only single thing I don't like about it is that now, after 5 years, the fibreglass deflector at the front is fading a bit and needs a good cutting compound on it every 6 months to keep it looking good but apart from that I haven't got a single fault with the rack.

The matching ladder is a must too, the shape is so much better than other makes.
Thanks! With all the racks around the same price, it's hard to pick one!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using OB Talk mobile app

Dirty Ape

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springboro, Ohio, United States
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Long time Land Rover owner - have had four 1995 RRC's (both long and short wheel base), two 2001 D2's, and just sold my 2006 LR3. Wrestled with what Rover to replace my LR3 with and the hard reality is that with the degradation and elimination of places to go offroad in a reasonable vicinity mixed with planned vacations over the next few years, I opted for a well-cared for Evoque instead instead of a bigger Rover beast. I've had it just over a week and love it. Storage is of course and issue, I plan on adding rails and crossbars for a basket - love the Front Runner roof rack but don't want to spoil the panoramic roof view. Also plan on adding the available spring lift and likely Cooper Zeons at some point along with skid plates. No illusions it's going to tackle what my past fleet did, but that's ok. Joined OB at Overland Expo East this past weekend, hoping to find some other folks looking to get out and about on some milder terrain adventures....

Reactions: MS_Disco and DanR

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
So I just had my OB stuff arrive, where do fellow Disco / LR3 owners have their Emblems? Looking for some inspiration!

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

early days, they only ever sent out one badge. So mine is on the back. I suppose I could order more, but this is the ONLY emblem/sticker/decal on my vehicle. It think my ARB front bumper might have an arb sticker on it from the factory, but thats going to be it. Im not big on branding my stuff.