Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Greg, do you have a latest and greatest GPX for the trip. Trying to get all my electronic stuff up to date.
This is my copy and I believe that @mtn has his own; either should work. I have been adding bypasses and camp waypoints to mine as they come up in discussion.
The zip file contains gpx, kml and geojson formats.

GPX viewer

Can someone confirm that these work for them? Should have a bunch of waypoints and connected routes. Having Gaia issues...

Attachments

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Just a thought looking at your planned route and you might already know this, but when you come off of Bethel Ridge Rd/NF1500 it will be a little faster if you turn right/south. Nile rd. is only 35mph so turning right will get you back onto the highway faster and back to dirt sooner. Also at the south end on Nile Rd where you meet up with 410 there is a gas station/restaurant for anyone wanting to top off, tank or belly.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Just a thought looking at your planned route and you might already know this, but when you come off of Bethel Ridge Rd/NF1500 it will be a little faster if you turn right/south. Nile rd. is only 35mph so turning right will get you back onto the highway faster and back to dirt sooner. Also at the south end on Nile Rd where you meet up with 410 there is a gas station/restaurant for anyone wanting to top off, tank or belly.
That's a good idea. Quick question for those more experienced than I am: We're probably coming off the ridge with tires aired down significantly. I'll probably be around 14 psi or so (street pressure is 32 psi). How fast would you go the 4 miles or so from Nile food & gas before getting off the highway and turning towards Wenas?

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
@MrWilsonWJ Have you been to Cash Prairie Camp at 46.71615, -121.16367 in your explorations of Bethel Ridge? I'm wondering how good of a campsite that would be. Plus side, it's at the beginning of the area, so it could be a nice early stop and it looks like it might have nice views. On the downside I'm guessing it could be windy up there. Can't say for sure how much flat space there is for camping.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

@MrWilsonWJ Have you been to Cash Prairie Camp at 46.71615, -121.16367 in your explorations of Bethel Ridge? I'm wondering how good of a campsite that would be. Plus side, it's at the beginning of the area, so it could be a nice early stop and it looks like it might have nice views. On the downside I'm guessing it could be windy up there. Can't say for sure how much flat space there is for camping.
No I haven't been that far out on 199, first time it was blocked with snow and last weekend was time. While I hear it's worth the drive out there for the view it's also around 6k feet in elevation and on a south facing ridge so if weather is a concern probably not the best place to camp. There is some nice spots (failed to get coordinates) off of 190 on the way up to Timber Wolf Mtn, but you are still up close to 6k feet. If you guys make it that far I would recommend heading closer to the 2 spots I mentioned earlier. Elevation is in the 4-4.5k range and the ridge they are on is protected by taller ones in the direction the weather will be coming from. As for tire pressure I was running around up there at 32. While dropping pressure might offer a slightly smoother ride, most of those roads are curvy gravel forest service so you would be giving up a bit of responsiveness and control with soft side walls. Now if you get into long sections of 4x4 required trail, yes air down but forest service roads I go with highway pressure or close to it.... that's just my opinion and everyone has there own way to do it so if you have air readily available this is the perfect trip to play with your psi and see what feels and works best for your setup. Just because one person swears by 14psi doesn't mean that's is what will work for you. Start with normal pressure and every 5-10 miles let some out until you think it feels too soft and unresponsive then start going make up until you find your ideal psi.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

That's a good idea. Quick question for those more experienced than I am: We're probably coming off the ridge with tires aired down significantly. I'll probably be around 14 psi or so (street pressure is 32 psi). How fast would you go the 4 miles or so from Nile food & gas before getting off the highway and turning towards Wenas?
I would not worry too much about going 4 miles. I think the speed limit is 35, but even at 55 that short of distance will not cause any issues. I would not do 70 or go 20+ miles at that pressure though.

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

No I haven't been that far out on 199, first time it was blocked with snow and last weekend was time. While I hear it's worth the drive out there for the view it's also around 6k feet in elevation and on a south facing ridge so if weather is a concern probably not the best place to camp. There is some nice spots (failed to get coordinates) off of 190 on the way up to Timber Wolf Mtn, but you are still up close to 6k feet. If you guys make it that far I would recommend heading closer to the 2 spots I mentioned earlier. Elevation is in the 4-4.5k range and the ridge they are on is protected by taller ones in the direction the weather will be coming from. As for tire pressure I was running around up there at 32. While dropping pressure might offer a slightly smoother ride, most of those roads are curvy gravel forest service so you would be giving up a bit of responsiveness and control with soft side walls. Now if you get into long sections of 4x4 required trail, yes air down but forest service roads I go with highway pressure or close to it.... that's just my opinion and everyone has there own way to do it so if you have air readily available this is the perfect trip to play with your psi and see what feels and works best for your setup. Just because one person swears by 14psi doesn't mean that's is what will work for you. Start with normal pressure and every 5-10 miles let some out until you think it feels too soft and unresponsive then start going make up until you find your ideal psi.

I am in a 3/4 Ton Suburban with 10 ply AT's. Airing down is not an option for me, I have to or I risk losing all my teeth. I have been down these roads and even the "smooth" gravel roads are harsh. Street pressure for my truck is 75 rear 45 front. Like having wagon wheels.

Reactions: Ubiety

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I am in a 3/4 Ton Suburban with 10 ply AT's. Airing down is not an option for me, I have to or I risk losing all my teeth. I have been down these roads and even the "smooth" gravel roads are harsh. Street pressure for my truck is 75 rear 45 front. Like having wagon wheels.
I fully agree, if I were to take either of my pickups up there (3/4 ton and a 1 ton) that would be a different story. I was just commenting on the fact that his street tires are at 32 psi. If I was up there is a 3/4 ton 'burb I'd be airing down for sure! Btw I really like your rig, I had an '84 half ton that had a NA 6.5 in it, really wished I had kept it.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I fully agree, if I were to take either of my pickups up there (3/4 ton and a 1 ton) that would be a different story. I was just commenting on the fact that his street tires are at 32 psi. If I was up there is a 3/4 ton 'burb I'd be airing down for sure! Btw I really like your rig, I had an '84 half ton that had a NA 6.5 in it, really wished I had kept it.
Thank you, it is my dream truck. I searched for one for a while and even had one that was just not right and sold it. I have thought about going Diesel, but while the gas engine consumes more fuel, Gas is cheaper and the gas is cheaper to work on and upgrade. That and the engine in my truck is a brand new GM Crate engine. Very few miles on it and so I hate to swap it out just yet.
I love that while the value of the classic Suburban is going up, and some are seeing some high prices, I love that it is not worth that much and so if I want to bolt something to it, or drill a hole in it to mount something, I don't feel like I am destroying a super rare high value classic. Screw holes can be fixed too.
I also don't have to worry about the paint. It is so bad right now, I have taken a razor scraper to the hood and roof to remove the clear coat that is blowing off in the wind. A few more pin stripes down the side are nothing.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Excited! We depart shortly after noon and are headed to Cascade Locks for the evening. Breakfast starts at 7am and I *hope* to have the family ready to roll before yum yums. Looks like we will be 10 minutes from the meetup in Stevenson barring any fumbling for bridge toll :) Depending on my gas situation I may head straight for the Stevenson gas station before meeting all y'all at the market - I'll be on the radio (GMRS 15, no privacy/PL). I would love to say that I will be there by 8:00am but may be a few minutes later because of family harmony and stuff.

I'll be running APRS.
@mtn - what callsign suffix do you use in your Toyota?

Here is our Jeep which I dub "the laden swallow" for this trip (as opposed to an unladen swallow).
1592134693084.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilDodge

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
  • Sad
Reactions: Ubiety

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Excited! We depart shortly after noon and are headed to Cascade Locks for the evening. Breakfast starts at 7am and I *hope* to have the family ready to roll before yum yums. Looks like we will be 10 minutes from the meetup in Stevenson barring any fumbling for bridge toll :) Depending on my gas situation I may head straight for the Stevenson gas station before meeting all y'all at the market - I'll be on the radio (GMRS 15, no privacy/PL). I would love to say that I will be there by 8:00am but may be a few minutes later because of family harmony and stuff.

I'll be running APRS as KD7UBJ-8 and you can track me here.
@mtn - what callsign suffix do you use in your Toyota?

Here is our Jeep which I dub "the laden swallow" for this trip (as opposed to an unladen swallow).
View attachment 158428
I thought that was Julie's jeep. I figured you'd have your own by now... :laughing:

Seriously though. Be safe, and have fun! This is on my list of trips to do in the next year or two, so take lots of pictures!

• Haha
Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have to drop out. This bums me out.
Figured as much, oh well, next time? I have an XR650L we should go ride. A buddy bought some property in Cle Elum and the plan is to ride the green dots that start at the back of his property. Not too far from Kennewick.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I thought that was Julie's jeep. I figured you'd have your own by now... :laughing:

Seriously though. Be safe, and have fun! This is on my list of trips to do in the next year or two, so take lots of pictures!
Hahahahaha! You know the truth! She is cool and let’s me borrow it as long as I keep checking topped off ;) You may remember her first time driving in the mud, not too long ago ;) And she still has not washed it :)

1592145853792.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
What is the best app to download to view this?
Gaia works and is free until you want better maps. If you just want to view now then you can follow the link that I posted earlier. CalTopo has an app that should work as well.
Sorry! No time to dive into this deep subject, out the door in 5 minutes.

For gaia, go to your app's store and download free app
Create account
Import the data that I put in the thread (suggest geojson file in the all.zip file). You may need to go to PC to do this through Gaia's web site.

Gotta run! Will check in from OR!