Ben
Last Name
Corbisiero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC2WAO
Service Branch
USCG
I have that radio also, need to learn how to use and connect to the echo link. can anyone here possibly help me out so I can join in on the weekly net? thanks a lot.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I have that radio also, need to learn how to use and connect to the echo link. can anyone here possibly help me out so I can join in on the weekly net? thanks a lot.
Here you go! @Prerunner1982 has written up an awesome getting started guide: Echolink App

We hope to hear you on the net tomorrow night!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I can't help with connecting a radio to an echolink repeater, but to be honest many of us use the app. Either for ease of use or because there isn't an echolink repeater close. We do like to have RF links into the net though so either way hope you can join in on the net.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I can't help with connecting a radio to an echolink repeater, but to be honest many of us use the app. Either for ease of use or because there isn't an echolink repeater close. We do like to have RF links into the net though so either way hope you can join in on the net.
I think there are Fusion, DMR and D-star links to the GNG but you'd have to look it up on their website to get the node information. I don't have it right off.

Reactions: whiskey7backroads

Mlbdriver

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tuckerton, NJ, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Corbisiero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC2WAO
Service Branch
USCG
wow thanks for the quick response Brien and Prerunner1982 ill check out the link and hope to get it working......

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hi Everyone.

I'll be your net control this evening for the Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net. Tonight we are talking about our favorite camp food or recipie. Always a great topic!

Look forward to checking in with everyone.

73! - Ed

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : Friday, 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Reactions: TerryD

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Great net tonight everybody. We had an amazing discussion about food and favorite camp recipes.
Below are the notes. Feel free to chime in here if you think of other camp food pro-tips.

W7BRBrentPackwood WASimple as possible. On skillet or pan dishes. Fav is sausages + bag salad. Take salmon, recipe for canning salmon with jalapeno and salsa. Take canned salmon camping, on crackers with cream cheese. Shane (or was it Brien) introduced hot sauce (aardvark) to the recipe.
KJ7HKVTylerAZOmelets on cast iron skillet. Want to check out scottle. Canning discussion. Getting to camp late or tired, canned fish or meat makes quick good meals.
KD2SOCJordonNorth NYSimilarly, proponent to 1 dish meal. Dice steak and potatoes. Open fire or grill pan, garlic, rosemary. Cast iron recipe for venison, cube steak and quarter an onion. Stick butter and half can bud light. Simmer for 30-45 min till onions caramelized.
NB9DNeilParis MEFrozen pizza cooked in camp oven. Potatoes wrapped in foil cooked in fire. Cast iron start heat on high. Clean with oil or salt. Love canned makeral. Also consider powder milk and cereal. Also love marshmallows, smores. Banana and mayo sandwich (try it).
K5TINShaneLAAnything wrapped in tortilla. Breakfast or anything wrapped. Obligatory adult beverage in evening. Forgot to mention spam, emergency go to on trips. If have room will take pork shoulder and cook in dutch oven. Brown on high heat then mix with chicken broth and onions and garlic cloves. Simmer for 6 hours. Snacks - cheese its favorite. Desert- fruit or something quick.
KE3RAllenIADutch oven. Pork roast on bed of veggies. Spices plus veg or chicken stock.Cook 3 hours. Quick meals - rib eye in hot pan, baste with butter till brown. Pizza in dutch oven. Trick is leave 6" between oven and coals. Most coals on top. 10-15 min.
K7XPOBrienAZGo to's. Sonora inspired. Chicken wings or thighs in pan with butter and oil. Salt pepper at 15m, sprinkle sugar with heat off, cover with citrus spicy seasoning, shake around to glaze. Breakfast, chicharronies, fried pork skin, Deep pan in green salsa. Eat with breakfast tacos. Desert goto's-cut water melon or other melons. Chamoy on top-sauce. Tangy sweet water melon. Tajin? Best for last - cook steak in cast iron pan using an embarrassing amount of butter (1/2 inch), cover with steak seasoning and salt, cook till med rare. Greens with season nendo(?) seasoning. Echo canned fish and canned meat. Always have a couple of cans of spam and canned fish. If you have trader joes, can buy canned smoked trout that's amazing on crackers. Last tip, cartons of Idaho spuds for breakfast with eggs,e tc. From Costco in milk type carton. Fill carton with boiling water then drop in frying pan for few minutes. Feeds 5 people. One more pro tip: nice meal to have stashed away, Safeway has pre cooked packaged udon noodles. Not dry but not refrigerated (kame). Cooks with bullion cubes.
VK7VWKRandallTasmaniaMorning in Tasmania. Cast iron dutch oven, meat veggies. If no time then BBQ on gas stove. Fav at moment is food dehydrated to make kangaroo or wallaby jerky.
W8ILLWillMICooks filleted fish on camp stove. Corn meal to make hush puppies in oil. Like to BBQ the fish also. Also like mash potatoes with garlic and cheese. Peanut butter, banana, tomato sandwich for late night fireside snack.
KN4QQBBradNCGrew up in Florida swamp. Love any kind snake we can catch. Skin and gut and serve with sour weed, like wild plumb.
VK2DYRobertAustraliaNice day in Sidney. Heading out to check out cherry blossom festival and catch mid eastern food for supper.

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Great net tonight everybody. We had an amazing discussion about food and favorite camp recipes.
Below are the notes. Feel free to chime in here if you think of other camp food pro-tips.

W7BRBrentPackwood WASimple as possible. On skillet or pan dishes. Fav is sausages + bag salad. Take salmon, recipe for canning salmon with jalapeno and salsa. Take canned salmon camping, on crackers with cream cheese. Shane (or was it Brien) introduced hot sauce (aardvark) to the recipe.
KJ7HKVTylerAZOmelets on cast iron skillet. Want to check out scottle. Canning discussion. Getting to camp late or tired, canned fish or meat makes quick good meals.
KD2SOCJordonNorth NYSimilarly, proponent to 1 dish meal. Dice steak and potatoes. Open fire or grill pan, garlic, rosemary. Cast iron recipe for venison, cube steak and quarter an onion. Stick butter and half can bud light. Simmer for 30-45 min till onions caramelized.
NB9DNeilParis MEFrozen pizza cooked in camp oven. Potatoes wrapped in foil cooked in fire. Cast iron start heat on high. Clean with oil or salt. Love canned makeral. Also consider powder milk and cereal. Also love marshmallows, smores. Banana and mayo sandwich (try it).
K5TINShaneLAAnything wrapped in tortilla. Breakfast or anything wrapped. Obligatory adult beverage in evening. Forgot to mention spam, emergency go to on trips. If have room will take pork shoulder and cook in dutch oven. Brown on high heat then mix with chicken broth and onions and garlic cloves. Simmer for 6 hours. Snacks - cheese its favorite. Desert- fruit or something quick.
KE3RAllenIADutch oven. Pork roast on bed of veggies. Spices plus veg or chicken stock.Cook 3 hours. Quick meals - rib eye in hot pan, baste with butter till brown. Pizza in dutch oven. Trick is leave 6" between oven and coals. Most coals on top. 10-15 min.
K7XPOBrienAZGo to's. Sonora inspired. Chicken wings or thighs in pan with butter and oil. Salt pepper at 15m, sprinkle sugar with heat off, cover with citrus spicy seasoning, shake around to glaze. Breakfast, chicharronies, fried pork skin, Deep pan in green salsa. Eat with breakfast tacos. Desert goto's-cut water melon or other melons. Chamoy on top-sauce. Tangy sweet water melon. Tajin? Best for last - cook steak in cast iron pan using an embarrassing amount of butter (1/2 inch), cover with steak seasoning and salt, cook till med rare. Greens with season nendo(?) seasoning. Echo canned fish and canned meat. Always have a couple of cans of spam and canned fish. If you have trader joes, can buy canned smoked trout that's amazing on crackers. Last tip, cartons of Idaho spuds for breakfast with eggs,e tc. From Costco in milk type carton. Fill carton with boiling water then drop in frying pan for few minutes. Feeds 5 people. One more pro tip: nice meal to have stashed away, Safeway has pre cooked packaged udon noodles. Not dry but not refrigerated (kame). Cooks with bullion cubes.
VK7VWKRandallTasmaniaMorning in Tasmania. Cast iron dutch oven, meat veggies. If no time then BBQ on gas stove. Fav at moment is food dehydrated to make kangaroo or wallaby jerky.
W8ILLWillMICooks filleted fish on camp stove. Corn meal to make hush puppies in oil. Like to BBQ the fish also. Also like mash potatoes with garlic and cheese. Peanut butter, banana, tomato sandwich for late night fireside snack.
KN4QQBBradNCGrew up in Florida swamp. Love any kind snake we can catch. Skin and gut and serve with sour weed, like wild plumb.
VK2DYRobertAustraliaNice day in Sidney. Heading out to check out cherry blossom festival and catch mid eastern food for supper.
I thought the peanut butter, banana, and tomato sandwich was the most interesting thing on the list. I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches but I've never had it with tomato.

Then I got down to "Love any kind snake we can catch. Skin and gut and serve with sour weed, like wild plumb." I'm afraid you've lost me on that one. :dizzy:

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Confess I've never had snake. Nor kangaroo or wallaby jerky.
I mentioned all that to my wife, who loves the mayonnaise and tomato sandwich but wasn't buying into the banana addition. Lost her at the snake diet as well.
What a great net!

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Mayo and banana sandwiches are good. Trust me...:coldsweat:, lol.
If you use mayo that has lemon flavor added ( Hellman’s or Kraft) it’s sort of a sweet and sour taste. I grew up pretty poor, so this was a good FAIRLY healthy meal for us that, in a way, was a dessert AND meal all in one. :grinning:

I DO agree that adding tomato to peanut butter is one that I might have to take a pause on, but will definitely chow down on a mayo and tomato sammich.

Last edited:

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Cant connect on echolink, worked earlier and works on other nodes... I'll try again next week, enjoy the net -wa6arb
Next time you have trouble, try connecting to one of the members that are connected already to the grits and gravy server. I get an error sometimes but can usually get connected by piggy backing on somebody else. Hope it works.
Brent W7BR

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Mayo and banana sandwiches are good. Trust me...:coldsweat:, lol.
If you use mayo that has lemon flavor added ( Hellman’s or Kraft) it’s sort of a sweet and sour taste. I grew up pretty poor, so this was a good FAIRLY healthy meal for us that, in a way, was a dessert AND meal all in one. :grinning:

I DO agree that adding tomato to peanut butter is one that I might have to take a pause on, but will definitely chow down on a mayo and tomato sammich.
I think you boys for the south eat some weird **it!

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
No. We eat GOOD! Now some stuff here in Louisiana is unique, but it’s tasty too, lol.

The food was the one thing I missed when we lived in Wyoming. The good part though was that Carrie and I both can cook, so it was just an exercise in hunting up the right ingredients or making “close enough” substitutes.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Hi

I've been a Ham now for about a year and a half but have no idea how to use echolink. I'm going to have t ask some guys in my Ham Club how to do that. Then maybe I can check in with you guys some Friday.

KK7NAZ

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Hi

I've been a Ham now for about a year and a half but have no idea how to use echolink. I'm going to have t ask some guys in my Ham Club how to do that. Then maybe I can check in with you guys some Friday.

KK7NAZ
If you have a smartphone, you can download the EchoLink app - that's the easiest/quickest way.

When you first open the app, it'll have to verify your callsign and that it belongs to you. Once that process has completed, you're good to go. Simply find the node you want to connect to - for the weekly net, it's the USA Grits N Gravy node (591550) - click on it to connect, and once you're in click on the picture of a mic to begin transmitting.

desl

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Berkeley, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Lennon
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VNY
If you have a smartphone, you can download the EchoLink app - that's the easiest/quickest way.

When you first open the app, it'll have to verify your callsign and that it belongs to you. Once that process has completed, you're good to go. Simply find the node you want to connect to - for the weekly net, it's the USA Grits N Gravy node (591550) - click on it to connect, and once you're in click on the picture of a mic to begin transmitting.
I did the app download and set up. My license was old enough that I had to jump through some hoops to get the PDF copy for verification on Echolink. It didn't take too much effort but this set of steps may streamline the process for others.

I didn't have an FCC account set up, so I had to do this (I did know my social security number, phone number, and email address from the time of registration)
  1. Figure out my FRN (FCC Registration Number) (I looked up my callsign at https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp to find it)
  2. Try to 'reset' my password (I never had one). I was told I didn't have a security question. But I could create one.
  3. That seemed like it had to be reviewed by a person, but it came through within an hour (during west coast business hours)
  4. I got an email like to reset my password.
    1. The requirements for a password were not entirely clear. I used a pw that was 14 characters long based on how many Asterisks it would show me. I will probably try for something longer, but I wanted it to just start working.
    2. Once my password was reset, I could login.​
  5. From the login page (above), I selected 'Download the Electronic Authorization'
    1. There was a dialog box to choose which license. I only have one so I selected it.
    2. It tried to open a pop-up window for the certificate PDF to download, I had to allow that.

It was a bit complicated, but happened faster than expected. I submitted for verification to Echolink which said it should take less than 48 hours.

desl

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Berkeley, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Lennon
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VNY
The approval from Echolink came through in the time it took me to write that last post. So that was quick. Now to see if I can make the next net.

Is this still the time/place?

Copied from 12PoundTest above:

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : Friday, 5:30PM Pacific Standard Time or 17:30 hours Pacific Standard Time
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here
http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Reactions: 12poundtest