Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Search out the Grits and Gravy on the Echolink app. Should be able to search the node # too I think to find it. Then just hop on and check in! Look forward to having you onboard!

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Reactions: desl

desl

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Berkeley, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Lennon
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VNY
That's still the time and place Dan. Hope you can make it Friday!
Ed
I'm able to find the USA-GNG in the Echolink app, but I'm not able to connect to it. Is it the sort of thing that has to be turned on?

it's my first foray into echo link and my mental model for a conference is "local repeater" or possibly even "local simplex channel". My expectation was that I might be able to connect and talk to nobody or somebody if there was anyone else out there. Is this what I would expect to see on the IOS app trying to connect this morning just after 9am Pacific Time?

Thanks!

IMG_2788.png

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I think that node is down right now. At least it was as of last net.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I can get in through W8ILL just fine (just tried it), but I typically cannot get into the GNG server directly.
@desl when you search for GNG do you see a W8ILL showing connected to the GNG server?

desl

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Berkeley, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Lennon
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VNY
I can get in through W8ILL just fine (just tried it), but I typically cannot get into the GNG server directly.
@desl when you search for GNG do you see a W8ILL showing connected to the GNG server?
Contemplating this a bit more, I tried disconnecting from the office wi-fi network. I am wondering if I don't have a sufficiently public IP address or some firewall rules about receiving the UDP ports that Echolink uses. (I tried with the EchoHam client on my laptop as well to no avail.)

I'll probably try again when I get home to see if it works there. (I can control the firewall there and make adjustments).

Thanks for the help!

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Contemplating this a bit more, I tried disconnecting from the office wi-fi network. I am wondering if I don't have a sufficiently public IP address or some firewall rules about receiving the UDP ports that Echolink uses. (I tried with the EchoHam client on my laptop as well to no avail.)

I'll probably try again when I get home to see if it works there. (I can control the firewall there and make adjustments).

Thanks for the help!

How did the home test work Dan? I'm online and connected to the GnG node (591550) now, everything appears to be up.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Many thanks to everyone who joined us last night for the OB Amateur Radio Net. The first Friday of each month is 'New Ham Q&A' night which always leads to great conversations. Last night didn't disappoint.

Here is a short summary of the net.

Check-ins:
N7PHY - Ed (net control)
W7BR - Brent
N0IV - Mark
K7IEX - Tyler (in NM on his way to expo east)
K7XPO - Brien
WD6TED - Ted
KK6RBI - Josh
KN4HSX - Ray (out camping in Hot Springs VA)
W8ILL - Will
VK2DY - Robert

Announcements:
- Check the OB site for link to new app testing opportunity.

*** If anyone is interested in getting their technician class license consider contacting Brien - K7XPO. He is kicking off an online class soon. ***

Here's a short summary of our conversation topics, not in any particular order. Feel free to reach out to any of us for more information.

- Antenna analyzers as indispensable tools while building our home and field antennas. Rig Expert and MFJ devices were both mentioned with good reports. I personally run a RigExpert AA-30.ZERO plugged into an Arduino Uno. Not convenient in the field but super fun at home.

- The question of ham license testing and VE status came up. Brien K7XPO is applied to become a VE and Mark N0IV is a VE (volunteer examiner). A few of us expressed interest in getting involved in the VE program as well. Brien mentioned conducting exam sessions at rally's / expos which I find interesting.

- Similar topic, it was asked what is the advantage of upgrading from technician class. There are different views of course depending on a persons interests and what they hope to get out of ham radio. Tyler mentioned it is nice to see what others are doing with their equipment in order to see what is possible. This brought up examples such as SDR (software defined radio) and APRS (automatic packet reporting system).

- APRS - Brien gave us an interesting example of using APRS to send a text message home from a location with no cell coverage.

- 1.25 meter band (220MHz) - Interesting topic to come up. There are not many radios available for 220MHz so few people use the band. However, Josh KK6RBI mentioned using 220MHz radios on the trail to avoid interference from a plethora of unlicensed operators on 2 meters.

- Is HF radio a legitimate tool for getting word out if you are stuck in the wilderness? Discussed the pro's and con's and general fun of operating HF.

- and so much more! I have more detailed notes if anyone is interested.

Thanks everyone! Hope to catch you on the net next week.
Ed - N7PHY

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tonight. I'll be your net controller for tonight's topic which is TIRES - what do you run and why? As usual, pretty much anything else will go as well. Hope you can join us.

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PDT/2030 hours EDT
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

73! Shane, K5TIN

digitaltree515

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Etowah County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0IV
I'll be linking up our local ARES repeater via AllStar tonight for the net. I'm the only OB member here, but we have a lot of operators local with a lot of knowledge. We also have a handful of idiots, so I apologize in advance if that presents an issue. If it does, I won't link the repeater again and will stick to using my personal node. Regardless of how it goes, please let me know, before or after the net if this'll be a no-go in the future. The repeater is W4ECA in Guyton, GA, AllStar node 45029, Echolink KK1JE-R.

73, N0IV (Mark)
Personal AllStar node 42900

digitaltree515

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0IV
By the way, the only reason it took me more than a few hours to unpack and clean the truck after my last trip was because I jacked my back up really bad. But Matt (KN4MMA) likes to give me static.

Let me know if you guys want me to keep linking up my repeater here. I'm more than happy to, even though there aren't many off-road oriented guys here. But there are a few.

N0IV

Reactions: ru108

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
By the way, the only reason it took me more than a few hours to unpack and clean the truck after my last trip was because I jacked my back up really bad. But Matt (KN4MMA) likes to give me static.

Let me know if you guys want me to keep linking up my repeater here. I'm more than happy to, even though there aren't many off-road oriented guys here. But there are a few.

N0IV
I thought the repeater link went well Mark. If it's not a hassle for you I'd encourage continued linking. Sorry to hear about the back, those back roads will get you. Take care!

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Sounds like Matt kids because he cares, lol. That is one of the signs of a true friendship in my book.

As for the repeater linkup, I agree with Ed 100%. It worked great, so keep at it. We’ve got repeaters in VA and KY that link as well, so it’s really not an issue. We talk about all kinds of things each week, so there’s a chance that it could stir up more interest in your neck of the woods and give y’all the opportunity to hook up with new people locally.

Reactions: digitaltree515

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Dang i missed the tire net. I was on the road getting a used washer to put in my place and im still unfamiliar with using an ECHOLINK repeater not on my phone Haha.

digitaltree515

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0IV
I thought the repeater link went well Mark. If it's not a hassle for you I'd encourage continued linking. Sorry to hear about the back, those back roads will get you. Take care!
Provided I'm home on Friday for the net, I'll keep linking it up. There'll be the occasion that I'll be off grid or otherwise unable to link it. I've setup a remote access page via DNS so I can access it anywhere I have an Internet connection.

And amazingly, the roads didn't get my back. Destroyed it in the military, and threw it out this past time by sitting in the bed and drilling through the end caps to install bed stiffeners. Had about a solid week where I could barely walk, and was sleeping on the couch because laying in bed hurt too much. Having a bad back sucks. A lot. But that's what's awesome about vehicle based exploration and camping; if I don't do something stupid, my back can handle it and it let's me get out still.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Provided I'm home on Friday for the net, I'll keep linking it up. There'll be the occasion that I'll be off grid or otherwise unable to link it. I've setup a remote access page via DNS so I can access it anywhere I have an Internet connection.

And amazingly, the roads didn't get my back. Destroyed it in the military, and threw it out this past time by sitting in the bed and drilling through the end caps to install bed stiffeners. Had about a solid week where I could barely walk, and was sleeping on the couch because laying in bed hurt too much. Having a bad back sucks. A lot. But that's what's awesome about vehicle based exploration and camping; if I don't do something stupid, my back can handle it and it let's me get out still.
That sounds about right. Hang in there!

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello fellow overlanding Hams. I'll be net control this Friday and would like to discuss off-road radio gear. What communication gear do you run when traveling off-road? Do you run APRS? Non-ham gear? If you could install anything, what would it be?

I hope you are having a good week and can join us for the weekly net.

73 - Ed - N7PHY

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PDT/2030 hours EDT
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web