Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
We had a really great net last night. Thank you everyone who could join in. The conversation centered around mobile communication gear. It would take me all day to transpose all the great conversation, but I’ll summarize some of the highlights. If anyone is interested in the raw notes, I would be happy to share just drop me a line.

If anyone is interested in helping us with Net Control please PM myself or any of the regular net control operators. Thanks!

Net Control: Ed N7PHY WA
Check ins:
KC3NOA Will PA
KT4OZ Terry VA
W8ILL Will MI
KI7RAM Bill NV
K7XPO Brien NM mobile
VK7VWK Randall Tasmania
KN4YFL Charlie MO mobile
K5FCO Francisco TX
KN4QNM Jason VA
W7BR Brent AZ (?)
KS4KLM Kevin VA

Will (KC3NOA) has a collection of radio gear ready for grab-n-go operation. Running (relatively) inexpensive Chinese brand radios and an interesting variety of antennas to cover HF through UHF.
Terry (KT4OZ) talked about the many features of the Kenwood TM-D710 mobile rig, which were backed up by Brien (K7XPO) and others. Probably the most relevant features are built in gps/APRS, dual receive, and ability to cross repeat. Bill (KI7RAM) asked an interesting question about mobile antennas and advantages of length and height. Terry responded with his experience running high gain vs. standard ¼ wave antennas (2 m) in hilly areas. Brien (K7XPO) checked in while traveling the backroads of NM. He carries a couple of yagi antennas (VHF, UHF) along with his SOTA setup when he travels. The rest of us passed on the rigs we run or would like to run. Kevin (KS4KLM) jumped in with a question regarding GMRS radios while off-roading. Brent brought up that OB has guidance on GMRS, CB, and Ham radio frequencies to use while on the trail.

Check out:
OB Approved - Overland Bound Comms Frequency Guide

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone.
I'll be your net controller for tonight's Overland Bound amateur radio net. Tonight is open topic night; planning any off-road trips? Working on rig upgrades? Or shopping for a new vehicle?
As usual, pretty much anything else will go as well. Hope you can join us.

My apologies for missing the 'other' net forum thread last week. I'll post this same message there and talk to someone about merging the two. Thanks!

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Time : 17:30 hours PDT/2030 hours EDT
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thought I would pass on this excellent forum article discussing vehicle comm's. Aligns with last weeks net topic of mobile communication gear.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Another great OB net last night. Thank you everyone who could make it!
It was open topic night but we floated a few questions about future trips, rig upgrades, and new rig shopping. We also asked for net topic ideas and received some really good suggestions. If anybody reading this has topic ideas not mentioned here please leave a comment.

Net Control: Ed N7PHY WA
Announcements: If anyone is interested in helping us with Net Control please leave a message here or PM myself or any of the regular net control operators. Thanks!

Check ins:
KF4YLM Josh VA - Mobile check-in over repeater. No trips planned in near future. Looking at offroad tires for Toyota Sequoya.

W7BR Brent AZ - Been testing remotehams.com which allows remoter operation of other ham folks ham stations. May be a cost with some, allows new hams to try out a band before investing.
Topics: Would like to revisit the food/camp cooking topic.

VA2EEK Don Quebec - Just getting echolink dialed in to join the net. (Welcome!) Getting ready for winter as snow tires are required in his area. Mentioned he takes HF ant off the rig in winter due to salt corrosion.

KF5CO Francisco TX - Been out running 98 grand Cherokee and camping with family. Looking at a new 4Runner.
Topics: Food, navigation tools (gps, maps, phone or tablet?)

K7IEX Tyler AZ - Made an amazing trip to Overland Expo East camping along the way and seeing interesting sites.
Topics: Navigation tools and exploration tools (such as google earth to scope out promising areas), Cooking and specifically skottle recipes. Also power systems and electrical setup in the rig.

KF5UZW Mark TX - Busy October. Been camping and enjoying his Patriot camper. Been pushing Ham radio to non-hams on his outings.
Topic: How about trailer vs. rooftop tent vs. something else?

VK7VWK Randall Australia - Aus experiencing some interesting temperature swings. Interesting to hear about ham radio licensing; planning trip to U.S.
Topic: What are great (non-tourist) overland places to visit in the U.S.?

W8ILL Will MI - Will is doing well and planning for winter.

VK2DY Robert Australia - Planning summer activities which usually start after Christmas. Targets Feb~Mar which is usually quieter.

KE3R Alan Iowa - Checking via DMR from his campsite. Sitting in front of his campfire testing gear and cooking pork chops on the fire.

Reactions: Downs

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Everyone. This evenings net topic was 'New Hams Q&A' which we do every first Friday of the month. It was a great conversation and allowed us to dig into a couple of questions posed about mobile and attic antenna strategies for VHF/UHF.
Something important to mention; with daylight savings time approaching fast the question came up about timing of the net. The net will begin at 17:30 hours pacific time regardless of DST status.
And, as always, If anyone is interested in helping us with Net Control please leave a message here or PM myself or any of the regular net control operators. Thanks!

Ok, on to the notes:
Net Control: W7BR Brent / Ed N7PHY (Joint Effort)
Announcements: None tonight.

Check ins:
W8ILL Will in MI
K5FCO Francisco in TX
K7XPO Brien in AZ
VK7VWK Randall in Australia
KN4PTV Alan in VA (repeater)
W7BR Brent in parts unknown
VK2DY Robert in Australia
KM4GHN Mitch in VA (repeater)
KT4OZ Terry in VA (repeater)

1) Will, W8ILL mentioned the grits-n-gravy conference server is now accessible through D-Star. We will research the node# and post it here. This should give folks yet another way to access the Friday evening net.
2) Francisco, K5FCO has a couple of amateur radio questions for the net. 1) Installing a new mag mount antenna on the vehicle, do I need to us an swr meter to tune it? 2) Thinking about installing an attic antenna to better reach local repeaters. Suggestions?
3) Brien, K7XPO suggested a purchased mag mount antenna will likely be tuned (close enough) to work with out the swr meter, though it's always good to check it if a meter is available. For attic antenna there are many to consider. Recommended is a 1/4 wave ground plane if building one or MFJ1750 if purchasing. J pole good choice and consider the N9TAX slim Jim jpole.
4) Randall, VK7VWK followed up on a question from last week concerning travel to the U.S. Turns out his Australian ham license is reciprocal in the U.S. however he must upgrade to operate in Canada. Randall helped us dig into Francisco's installation a bit deeper, validating the roof material is not metal (for attic antenna) and reiterated it's good to check ant installations with the swr meter to validate cable, connectors, etc.
5) W7BR Brent added another vote for the slim Jim antenna. Slim Jim Info
6) VK2DY Robert checked from metropolitan Sidney Australia where it's 31 deg C.
7) Mitch, KM4GHN checked in from VA where the power is out after a windstorm.
8) Terry KT4OZ checked in as well through the VA repeater.

And one last note; Brien asked the question what we can do to get folks interested in the Friday net. We discussed syncing the net topic with the Overland Bound boot camp articles. If anyone has other ideas feel free to chime in here.

73 and goodnight everybody!
Ed - N7PHY

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Reminder about the weekly OB Echolink net tonight. I'll be your net controller for tonight's OPEN TOPIC, so feel free to bring your questions, comments, ideas or anything else you feel like rag chewing about. As usual, pretty much anything goes.

I've noticed some new posts in the Ham Radio Call Sign Check Ins thread lately and would like to extend an open invitation for any new hams or those have never joined us before to please do so. Its a small, but growing group so help us keep it going! If you're not sure about how to use Echolink, @Prerunner1982 wrote up a GREAT how-to on getting started, so click HERE to get up and running!

Until tonight....

Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

73! Shane, K5TIN

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Ok, entered to win. Hopefully I'll win a bunch of flyers from Icom. A radio would be nice too.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
November 8, 2019
Friday OB Net Summary:

Net Control: K5TIN Shane LA

Check-ins:
K5FCO Francisco TX
W8ILL Will MI
K7IEX Tyler AZ
N7PHY Ed WA
N2BBT Bubba Tim FL
KV4UO Joe CA
W2JLD John NY

We had a really interesting net tonight. It was open topic night and we heard about digital radio, a 30 vehicle overland convoy, overlanding trips coming up in FL, raspberry pi's, and so much more.

Thank you Shane K5TIN for being net control and everybody who could join. We hope to catch you on the net next Friday.
If you have topic suggestions please feel free to comment here.

73 - Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Greetings fellow Overlanders,
I hope you can join us on the net tonight as we discuss our favorite camp recipes, travel cooking gear, and anything overland food related.

If you are new to Echolink, @Prerunner1982 wrote up a GREAT how-to on getting started. Click HERE to get up and running!

The net details:

I look forward to meeting up with you tonight.
73 - Ed N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone who could make the net this week, we had a great time talking about camp cooking and our favorite food for adventure.

Date: Nov 22, 2019
Net Control: Ed – N7PHY
Topic: Camp cooking and favorite recipes
Emergency Traffic: None
Announcements: We could really use some help with net control duties. If interested please reach out to myself (N7PHY), W7BR, KT4OZ, K5TIN, or WD6TED. Thanks!

Check ins:
K7IEX Tyler AZ USA
KD8JLV Steve OH USA
K5TIN Shane LA USA
K7XPO Brien AZ USA
VK7VWK Randall TAS AU
W7BR Brent WA USA
W8ILL Will MI USA
N4JDL John NC USA
KT4OZ Terry VA USA
VK2DY Robert NSW AU
KK4EWT James VA USA

K7IEX - Like to cook on a tembo tusk skottle (Tembo Tusk – Innovations for the Road Less Traveled) picked up at expo east. Trying recipes in free skottle cookbook available from tembo tusk. Fan of breakfast food. Throw everything together recipes are also good. Recently saw dirty steak cooked on coals or fire. White hot coals. Have not tried but has anyone tried? K7XPO replied, yes has seen in Sedona from south African overlanding crew. Blew on coals to make hot, 3-4 min each side. Looked good.

KD8JLV - Second what Tyler said about the tembo tusk skottle. Bought one at expo east 2016, huge fan. Tried other methods including camp stove, etc. Roll with between 6 and 8 (skottles) for big meals. Success with Mexican food variety. Not sure about dirty steak but open to giving it a try. Appreciate talking about real cooking. In the past fell into trap of making miles to not burning daylight but now enjoy taking time to prepare and eat with folks. Do a lot of cooking in cast iron, especially a Dutch oven. First started with Boy Scouts first then family. Q: Where are the OB net forum threads?

K5TIN – Had a big catfish dinner before net so not hungry this time. Keep it simple. Eat light, especially anything that goes in tortilla. Has tried something like dirty steak. Like rice-based jambalaya; good for large group and a little goes long way. Works well in a Dutch oven. Jambalaya can be soup in different parts of country; not right, should be rice based.

K7XPO - No new recipes since last time we discussed camp food but reminded of the mayo and bananas sandwich. Going to make one during the net and report back on round two. For camp stoves Brien likes Cook Partner brand. (https://partnersteel.com/cook-partner)
Round two report – the mayo banana sandwich was ok. Thinks banana just a bit too ripe but ok. Will try slightly less mayo next time. (Well done Brien!)

VK7VWK – Have not had a chance to cook in wild recently. Main thing is to keep it simple. Dirty steak idea is interesting. It’s common to cook on coals in Australia. Have made a loaf of bread on coals; dough in coals and shake it off when done. Whole fish on coals is good also.

W7BR – Something not done for a long time is to purchase oysters in shell. Open at campfire; grill, raw, with garlic sauce or hot sauce. Was fun doing this on the beach. Have campfire grill from Cabela’s which works great and packs away in a small package. (Adjust-A-Grill : Cabela's)

W8ILL – Will mixes butter, rice crispies, cheerios and nuts in a cast iron skillet over the fire to make a delicious ‘chex mix’ type snack.

KT4OZ – Peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwich was good. Last weekend had Cajun jambalaya made on camp stove. Quite a good dish. For breakfast time got out great grandmothers’ percolator to make coffee. Ready for camp use. Coleman stove junkie! Have new stove given to him. 50's model. Round two: Gained 5 lbs listening to net tonight. Interest in camp cooking started in college with hotdogs on sticks over campfire with pop tarts for breakfast. Watched older fellas cooking elaborate meals and picked up and started to enjoy cooking. Enjoy steak on cast iron skillet over camp stove with salt and pepper, crispy around edges, little pink on inside. As far as jambalaya, it was authentic - NO TOMATOES. Favorite ways for pork chops is with little chili powder. Watch cooking time only have 3 sec when they are actually done before they dry out. Big fan of cast iron cookware. Own several from 4" skillet up to 14" Griswold inherited from great grandparents.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Good Evening Overlanding Ham Radio Enthusiasts,

I believe the 'other' Friday net thread is the main source of information however I'll keep this thread updated until we figure out how to merger the two.

Anyway, I'll be your net control Friday and I hope you can join us. This week we'll be asking "what cool overland gear would you like Santa to bring you?"
If anybody knows of a killer 'Black Friday' deal we can share those too!

The net details:

If you are new to Echolink, @Prerunner1982 wrote up a GREAT how-to on getting started. Click HERE to get up and running!

Everybody, I wish you a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!
73 - Ed N7PHY