Favorite truck bed setups with no topper?

• HTML tutorial

vdeal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I've been studying this for a while and believe I will go with a Leitner eventually. I still want to use the truck as a truck and with the ability to slide the upper crossbars forward out of the way that kinda seals the deal. Would be nice to fit some sort of cover over it for protection when stopped. I might go with a Truck Vault also - probably the half width one.

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Is the 1fitty just leveled with rapter wheels or what do you have for lifts? We just got a 150 and thinking about just leveling it at putting rapter wheels in it sense we found tire and wheel for 500. If you leveled it did you have to replace stock upper controls Had a ram that if you leveled the front you had to do uppers too.

Love the look!
Just a leveling kit. But I also have the advantage of my front bumper being low profile. If you have a stock front bumper your going to have to cut some of it off to fit the 35" tires

Rvera

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Dallas, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Vera
Member #

I like the coverage and security of the fiberglass shell, but the durability is questionable at best. I like the Leitner Rack as well, but the fact that the supports go down into the bed doesn't allow for the use of a bed cover to provide security and storage. I have been going back and forth in my head and I have decided on the Nuthouse Industries Tech 2 Series Bed rack with a their roll-n-lock bed cover. It's pricey, but custom made and by far the best system I've seen out there.
Hey there. Did you end up getting the nuthouse rack. Im looking into them now but lead time is 8 months. Is it worth the wait? Do you have pics?

vdeal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I use a Yakima bedrock and cross bar set up which keeps the Yakima RTT just below the roof line of my truck (02 Ranger 4x4). I have a three bin (Plano) set up. 2 medium (kitchen, pantry) and one longer one forView attachment 94122 general camp stuff plus a 7 gal water can and a 5+ gal fuel can with room for some firewood or misc junk). I can reach into the tent when it is deployed while standing on ground and the low rack prevents easy access to my stuff. Problem is that if I leave the rig somewhere for a hike or parked in town I need to back up to a wall, tree, boulder or something so that the tailgate can't just be popped open and my gear unloaded by someone else.

Eric, just saw your post. Is that the new style Bedrock? I have the old style Bedrock with round crossbars and two Yakima Lockjaw bike mounts. Had to search long and hard to find the Lockjaws = found some NOS. I like the Lockjaws since you can lock the bikes on without using a cable, it's built in.

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
I love my Leitner, but make sure you know what weights you plan to carry, not only a tent, but all the stuff you attach to the sides, 250LB off road (for the classic) isn't a lot for the classic. I have had movement of the rack with more than that weight on it.
interesting. are the aluminum clamps the only thing holding these racks on? i would've thought they'd have something a little more secure to keep it from shifting.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
I'll keep an eye on mine, but mine's been solid not moving even with a Tepui Autana XL 4 Ruggedized (With the diamondplate base). I also know Tacoma's have a seperate bed stiffener bracket, maybe the Colorados do need it also but they havent made them yet?

interesting. are the aluminum clamps the only thing holding these racks on? i would've thought they'd have something a little more secure to keep it from shifting.

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
No, on the Colorado it has two bars that mount into the back of the bed, and two arms at the front of the bed:

You can see that one of the bars came undone (closest one) and the far one is still attached:
Ah, now i see it.

side note: I scrolled through the pics a bit and saw some pretty cool flexing pics. you got yourself a nice colorado.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I kept it simple for now, I use the yakima bedrock low mounts and the HD cross bars that the tent is mounted to and we our camp gear down to 3 totes that I just put in the bed plus i carry tool bag, fuel and water jug its held in place with a cargo bar

rear.jpg