...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

I got a 2017 last year, planning to do almost the exact same things that you did. Looks like I'll do the brush guard and differential guard first. I actually tapped my rear differential half a year after I got it and had to get it warranty serviced. So good on you for getting the armor.

Reactions: Rocky

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I got a 2017 last year, planning to do almost the exact same things that you did. Looks like I'll do the brush guard and differential guard first. I actually tapped my rear differential half a year after I got it and had to get it warranty serviced. So good on you for getting the armor.
Yeah I ordered armor at the same time as the original lift. If you’re planning on going with Primitive for armor I’d recommend saving up for all of it and buy it together. Mine as well take advantage of the discount.

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
I will gladly answer all of your questions @morty muerte but I’m going to do it in a DM as not to clutter up the thread. I’m adulting today so give me a little bit.
Aloha @Wawa Skittletits and @WhatTheZo. Sorry to butt in, but would you please be willing to share the answers with me to the questions asked that were DM'd? I don't know what I'm asking and reading your thread about offset and wheel size are helpful for learning. Also, my Outback is my DD in Los Angeles with similar driving habits.

I drive a 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
18" OEM Wheelset
2" Anderson Design Fabrications lift
I'm installing 17" Method Rally 502's next week and am considering 225/65r17 for either:
- Yokohama Geolander
- BF Goodrich KO2

Any feedback is helpful.

Mahalo!

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Hello @Liana Lehua! Here are the questions I believe you are referring to and my response via DM. I’m glad to help so feel free to ask any questions!

Wawa, you are the man! Thank you for the thorough reply.

So, i mis spoke the offset is 55. Not 35, you are absolutely right. I always think 35 because i associate the smaller number pulling the wheel into the wheel well, not pushing out, its a brain teaser for me. Thanks for pointing that out.

And yes, i'm aware that lifting doesn't allow for larger tires. I appreciate you stating it, because i do see a lot of confusion about that on forums. A wheel well is a wheel well. Not going to get bigger unless you start chopping. I just wanted to give a general background of the plan for the vehicle.

That said,
the idea that as you lift independent suspension the wheels suck in further is something i completely overlooked. I will factor this into my plan.
Perhaps 1" spacers are a cheap solution for this?

I have 3 more questions for you since you obviously know your stuff.

As you stated, the stock alloy wheel is 7" wide where a motegi 118 is 8" wide.
This is another detail i overlooked, but it also surprises me because of the following...

How does Brucy wear 245/65r17 Ko2's on his 7" alloys, which is the same size tire a lot of folks run on the Motegi 118.
Is it because there is a certain amount of latitude with tires? If so, i was unaware of this.
I'm also asking because i just ordered a set of 245/65r17 Hankooks... and now i'm worried they won't fit. haha.

Aside from aesthetics, is there anything that bad about the wheel not being flush from a performance stand point?
I get that a wider stance is always more stable and better wheel base, but i also wonder if less damage would be done to the side of the car when "wheeling" since the tires would be completely within the wheel well as opposed to kicking up rocks and grit along the side of the vehicle.

Lastly,
part of why i decided to go with stock wheels is i'm keeping the budget for this build very low. Mainly because the reason i went with a used outback rather than a 4runner, was i didn't want to break the bank, wanted the Subaru reliability (and simplicity) and i really don't want to start creeping up in the overall investment on this vehicle. Just looking for some low cost fun and function.

So i ask you as a subaru wheeler.
Given that i really don't care that much about aesthetics, what do you think gives more performance bang for the buck...

King Springs, which has been in my plan since day 1 to add to the 2" ADF spacer lift, or skipping the springs and going with some proper wheels like the motegi or sparco terra in the name of a wider tire contact point.

And if you're curious about vehicle use its as follows...

- 90% daily driver in Los Angeles (vehicle empty) (it has 2" hitch installed already and it wears a Yamaha Mega Warrior up top always)

- 7% local mountain bike trail head use (vehicle with hitch mounted 1-up bike tray on back + bike) - estimated load 50lbs total

- 3% off road adventure vehicle (standard camp gear, some tools, spare tire on roof, ground tent, 6 gallons of water, my lady) - estimated 120lbs (+ lady)

and sometimes i have the bike along for the adventure too which would make it 170lbs in the rear of the vehicle.

Thank you again for all the fantastic knowledge!
Ok let’s be right into it.

1) Don’t worry about the 7” wide wheels with 245/65’s. There’s an acceptable range for all tire sizes and you won’t have a problem. In fact in some ways it’s better since it isn’t a wide tire the smaller wheel actually rolls the sidewalls in more and exposes the sidewalls to the ground less. Another advantage is that buying a 5th wheel will be cheaper. Are you planning on 5 tire rotations?

2) It’s aesthetics mainly. I’m sure there is a negligible difference in stability but at the same time the angle between the tire and the diff is steeper so obstacles in certain situations may be easier. Spacers are certainly an option and one you can go with at any time so don’t feel like you would have to do it now. I had to go with when I lifted above 2”. I run H&R 1” hub centric spacers with wheel studs. If you go with spacers just don’t go cheap and make sure you torque them to the correct spec and then retorque them when you’re supposed to. Use an actual torque wrench! As far as the trail damage goes... accept and embrace it. Call it character or badges of honor or whatever but know that it’s coming. I have plenty of trail pinstripes and I don’t give them a second thought at this point. It’s proof that it goes more places than just the mall.

3) Skip the aftermarket wheels and buy some plasti dip. They’ll look completely different... I’m partial to black haha. As far as springs go I’d consider looking into Rallitek as well. They have a lower spring rate than King but it’s still higher than OE. Either way you’re going to want more weight in the car all the time. The difference in the spring rate will dictate just how much weight to have a comfortable ride day to day. Before you pull the trigger on springs tell me and I’ll tell you what you can expect and how to speed up the break in process.

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Aloha @Wawa Skittletits and @WhatTheZo. Sorry to butt in, but would you please be willing to share the answers with me to the questions asked that were DM'd? I don't know what I'm asking and reading your thread about offset and wheel size are helpful for learning. Also, my Outback is my DD in Los Angeles with similar driving habits.

I drive a 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
18" OEM Wheelset
2" Anderson Design Fabrications lift
I'm installing 17" Method Rally 502's next week and am considering 225/65r17 for either:
- Yokohama Geolander
- BF Goodrich KO2

Any feedback is helpful.

Mahalo!
Pretty much @Wawa Skittletits covered it in his response. Right now I'm running 245/65's on my OEM wheels without a lift and don't really plan on getting aftermarket wheels unless I damage them.

I'm going back to 3" total lift once the parts get here. My personal asthestics speaking, the tires do look kind of wonky pulled after the lift. I'd get spacers if it bugged me enough, but right now it's price prohibited enough for me.

As for trail damage from a wider stance, I figure having tires sticking out is beneficial. Better to have things hit your rubber than your body on the trail. One of the reasons you shouldn't skimp on tires.

I'm also in SoCal and have similar driving patterns. One thing that no one ever mentions is that there is a random chance of getting a slight wobble between 18-22mph after the lift. Some people report it, some people don't. It doesn't occur outside that range. But that's also the range alot of gridlock traffic goes.

Sorry for using your thread for my responses Wawa

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Pretty much @Wawa Skittletits covered it in his response. Right now I'm running 245/65's on my OEM wheels without a lift and don't really plan on getting aftermarket wheels unless I damage them.

I'm going back to 3" total lift once the parts get here. My personal asthestics speaking, the tires do look kind of wonky pulled after the lift. I'd get spacers if it bugged me enough, but right now it's price prohibited enough for me.

As for trail damage from a wider stance, I figure having tires sticking out is beneficial. Better to have things hit your rubber than your body on the trail. One of the reasons you shouldn't skimp on tires.

I'm also in SoCal and have similar driving patterns. One thing that no one ever mentions is that there is a random chance of getting a slight wobble between 18-22mph after the lift. Some people report it, some people don't. It doesn't occur outside that range. But that's also the range alot of gridlock traffic goes.

Sorry for using your thread for my responses Wawa

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app
No worries!

I often joke with people who are considering lifting about the ~18 mph shudder because of the fact that nobody talks about it. I explain the details and I also mention how its been a non issue for me.

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Did you have issues with getting your front camber in spec? They're having issues even with camber bolts and are thinking of slotting my struts. I'm thinking I should wait until things settle.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Did you have issues with getting your front camber in spec? They're having issues even with camber bolts and are thinking of slotting my struts. I'm thinking I should wait until things settle.
I did not. Caster is a train wreck for anything other than a race car but camber wise I’m not even maxed. They have both the original and aftermarket camber bolts installed at the same time correct?

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

More front end suspension questions. Do you run adjustable front endlinks or just have it disconnected? Trying to figure out some metal clanking sounds I'm encountering when I hit certain bumps.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Awesome thread great job. We are in the process of building our Team car . So pumped it’s looking so good.
Thank you!

More front end suspension questions. Do you run adjustable front endlinks or just have it disconnected? Trying to figure out some metal clanking sounds I'm encountering when I hit certain bumps.
I'm still using the OE endlinks and they're still attached. Custom QD links in the appropriate length have been on the back burner. You recently lifted it correct? and its a new car correct? I get confused haha. If I had to guess my first one would be the stut mount and more specifically the strut is loose. Your car is too new to have chewed up the actual mount yet.

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Thank you!

I'm still using the OE endlinks and they're still attached. Custom QD links in the appropriate length have been on the back burner. You recently lifted it correct? and its a new car correct? I get confused haha. If I had to guess my first one would be the stut mount and more specifically the strut is loose. Your car is too new to have chewed up the actual mount yet.
Yep. My '18 is giving me some issues that I'm trying to iron out with the 3” lift. I'm having an alignment shop look things over.

I love how some people are super resistant on the idea going over 2” citing premature wear, but are fine when people "send it"...

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Yep. My '18 is giving me some issues that I'm trying to iron out with the 3” lift. I'm having an alignment shop look things over.

I love how some people are super resistant on the idea going over 2” citing premature wear, but are fine when people "send it"...
I agree and I'm always willing to point out that my car still hasn't broken into a thousand pieces. Not yet anyway haha. Ok so I would definitely be looking into a loose strut which unfortunately means the complete strut will have to come out. Theres no access to the strut mount when lifted on spacers.