...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Got around to finishing my versatile roof lighting project. For lights I went back to Black Oak and picked up 2 of their scene light cubes. A couple parts from RAM and the mounts already pictured above means I can throw light wherever I need it. The scene lights are awesome for area lighting so whether I’m setting up camp at night or feel the need for more light on the trails this project ticks all the boxes.

57646AAA-A3C0-46C2-80EC-877EBDC3E6C8.jpeg

My power point is docked out of sight in a water tight cap when not in use. With a Y splitter I’m able to run 1 or 2 lights depending on the situation.

1A4368D3-BED7-4325-AC08-3E3BF806F0BD.jpeg

Light test. This is the only light used in the next picture.

1CC1834F-1C58-462D-9EFE-E74BA0B673F4.jpeg

I couldn’t be happier with the performance. They’re obviously bright but without any real hot spots. This is run through my Switch Pros panel which means I can turn these on and off outside the vehicle with my phone if I feel like it.

48BE15A7-1A78-4508-831D-A7A0BBADD42A.jpeg

On to finishing the next projects. I’ll be making a new setup for my iPad and inReach in the coming week or so and hopefully my transmission mount insert later today before it’s back to work...

Attachments

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Love the new lighting mod man. I'd like to get a lightbar and eventually something like this on mine as well. Setting up a campsite and cooking, etc are a little easier when can light up the whole area decently, versus using a headlamp.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you @Tinker and @martin_j001! I was originally going to go the traditional route but this way I only had to buy 2 lights, it only takes up 1 button on my panel, and I only had to run I pair of wires to the roof. I had no great desire to drill through the body and there’s a nice little channel on both sides of the windshield. My light bar is run up the other side exactly the same way and I think that’s as clean as that can be haha.

5F6FBBB2-ABDD-437B-977C-27A5BD60CCEF.jpeg

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

Thank you @Tinker and @martin_j001! I was originally going to go the traditional route but this way I only had to buy 2 lights, it only takes up 1 button on my panel, and I only had to run I pair of wires to the roof. I had no great desire to drill through the body and there’s a nice little channel on both sides of the windshield. My light bar is run up the other side exactly the same way and I think that’s as clean as that can be haha.

View attachment 70253
How / where is you wire going into the cabin area?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Since I run everything through a Switch Pros panel I just have that small harness cable run through the steering shaft grommet @Rocky. Everything gets buttoned up in the engine bay. Here’s a picture of the concealed panel after I mounted it.

E2E92D03-1D77-4848-BDB6-B7D4CA327530.jpeg 40358701-CB53-44D7-BB41-5EA8837CD170.jpeg

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I’m working on a bunch of things right now but here’s a little update...

I had zero complaints about my Yoko G015’s but I also wasn’t over the moon for them. Even though I still charged into it I always had a little apprehension when it came to mud so I knew my next tire was going to be more aggressive. Enter the Falken Wildpeak.

F4B83CFC-D0B6-403B-97BA-A1839E94FBEC.jpeg

You’d be hard pressed to find a bad review of these tires. Long wearing, 3 peak rated, surprisingly quiet, extra meaty, and inexpensive. Hard to go wrong.

DAFD0930-4177-4D67-ABE0-D3EA2A8A220D.jpeg

Finally decided and pulled the trigger on where my fridge will get it’s juice when parked. By no means elaborate. A simple power center battery box with integrated 12v sockets and easy to attach/detach terminals. Inside rests a fast charge 100AH agm deep cycle. This will be 100% stand alone, charged in the field by a Renogy solar suitcase and easily removed when it’s no longer needed to charge/maintain at home. I intend to run off the house battery while on the go and switch to Tesla’s boat anchor when parked.

0C497ACD-98A4-4A12-871B-0F6843F8E5B1.jpeg

Expo is fast approaching and I’m really trying to find the time to finish my custom iPad/inreach mounts, custom rear floor, install my cargo divider, and some other stuff.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
This is for both of you guys. I totally forgot about the transmission mount insert. Are either of you familiar with installing one? It completely eliminated the ~18mph shake.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173380576413

Nice I can not wait to read the install of the battery and your long term test of the new tires.
Thanks! I’ll be sure to post about them both. All seriousness aside.... the tires look completely badass haha. They’re the same size but I’ve had to make more wheelwell adjustments.

Totally stole your RAM mount idea. I'm all for keeping things modular. It's working super well so far!View attachment 74106
No worries! I’m glad it’s working for you. I’m not one to hoard my ideas and I’m happy to see when they work for other people.

Last edited:

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
This is for both of you guys. I totally forgot about the transmission mount insert. Are either of you familiar with installing one? It completely eliminated the ~18mph shake.

Thanks! I’ll be sure to post about them both. All seriousness aside.... the tires look completely badass haha. They’re the same size but I’ve had to make more wheelwell adjustments.

No worries! I’m glad it’s working for you. I’m not one to hoard my ideas and I’m happy to see when they work for other people.
I hope not major fender mods.

Reactions: Rocky

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Did which one did you install? I was going to throw in the 60 yesterday, the 75 seems too stiff. I have a pile of them back when he was doing R&D.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173380576413

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Which one did you install? I was going to throw in the 60 yesterday, the 75 seems too stiff. I have a pile of them back when he was doing R&D.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Which one did you install? I was going to throw in the 60 yesterday, the 75 seems too stiff. I have a pile of them back when he was doing R&D.
I installed the 65. There’s a super slight increase in NVH in certain situations but the shake is completely gone.

Reactions: Rocky and WhatTheZo

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

What size of tire did you go with and to you have any picture of your fender mod's. Looking at getting some new tires soon.
I am not sure but it sounds like our 4EAT might have the same vibration as the CVT, would like to hear more on this, please.
We have the Anderson 2" lift and just got some King springs that still need to get put on.

Also its looking good.
Thanks for posting.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
What size of tire did you go with and to you have any picture of your fender mod's. Looking at getting some new tires soon.
I am not sure but it sounds like our 4EAT might have the same vibration as the CVT, would like to hear more on this, please.
We have the Anderson 2" lift and just got some King springs that still need to get put on..
Thank you! As I mentioned I went with the same size tire I was running previously which is a 245/65 17 but the Falken is much more squared off of a tire. No pictures but I’m going to have to heat up and move some plastic and some other plastic I flat out trimmed.

The shake in a 5th gen is synonymous with lifting and the issue is simply a wobble/shake around 18 mph. More of an annoyance than anything. Weak transmission mounts are nothing new to Subaru and the insert limits the ability for the stock mount to move. Super simple install on a 5th gen. Takes maybe 10 minutes installed my way.

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Did you ever disconnect your front sway bars?

Just asking because I tore the bushing and I'm debating on just saving $20 and just remove it.