...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Thank you. I actually have no issues with the NA 4 banger that I have in mine. It has substantially less power than what I'm used to (~160 less hp than the other AWD vehicle in the garage for example) but for what it is it does everything required just fine. Loaded for bear or otherwise. I didn't want the 6 as I see it as a relic. They want way too much for an underwhelming performer relatively unchanged since 2006. All that said I wish there was a FI option like the Forester or even the diesel that they get across the pond.
I have the 2010 XT limited that has the 224 hp engine. I just started my build but feel at this point in I have no real power issues.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
This is a great thread and a very nice build.
Do you have a document somewhere with all the mods?
Sorry for the delay but thank you! This thread is the closest I have to a mod list but perhaps I should throw one together.

Traveler I

Hey Wawa Skittletits,

A fellow MtnRoo'r (whatthezo) shared me your awesome build thread. Want to ask if the fitment of your Primitive front engine skid plate mount well with the LP Adventure front bumper guard? I'm looking to go in the same direction but want to double check fitment first. Thanks!

Reactions: justinide

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you @Irongrave @martin_j001 and @Low594!

Hey @Handsinthehive! Here’s the deal when it comes to running Primitive armor with the LP bumper guard.. you have to trim a narrow and short sliver off of each side and then it will bolt in place.

5F20EE54-81FC-4661-A9C4-8F8F2C603EB9.jpeg 39729B24-E253-4C69-8B5D-87B9AC8DD504.jpeg EA33EFFA-4463-460C-8DDE-82A6B74606E2.jpeg

Traveler I

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Awesome, thank you sir! Not too bad of a mod to make both fit.
No problem! At some point I’ll get around to making one that fits my 2.5 better. The same plate works for the 3.6 so it ends up robbing more clearance than it needs to but that’s a common problem with all of the available options.

Traveler I

@Wawa Skittletits Are you talking about the skid plate or bumper guard?

I read on other forums that you can cut off around an 1" on the skid plate spacers to regain that clearance.

For the LP bumper guard, it sits lower so takes away some clearance as well. Was thinking of cutting just 1-2" off the bottom of the bumper along an aesthetic line and try to mount it up higher but not exactly sure until I get my hands on one.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran

I read on other forums that you can cut off around an 1" on the skid plate spacers to regain that clearance.

For the LP bumper guard, it sits lower so takes away some clearance as well. Was thinking of cutting just 1-2" off the bottom of the bumper along an aesthetic line and try to mount it up higher but not exactly sure until I get my hands on one.
The skid plate sits lower than the bumper guard and there are no spacers on the front skid plate. It’s made spacious for 2 more underperforming cylinders.

I’m lifted more so my approach angle has been good enough to wait and see what bumpers come out.

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Neighbor?

The places where the plates mount to aren't as horrible as the XV's.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
The best part about going to Expo is the overwhelming feeling to finish some projects. I finally got my ass in gear and installed my Midland MXT275 GMRS radio. I have a gear keeper mounted behind my rear view mirror and clips for both radio mics already attached. I’m using a Browning 27” 5.5db gain antenna, not pictured due to garage door guillotine.

E56BB9B3-58AD-4F1B-8671-068B845AD5A2.jpeg

There’s also a new Ram mount in the middle there..

1EA1C393-0C2D-4E1B-BD6E-372DE0FD7BA8.jpeg

.. and two more on the front corners.

3ABD967A-3BB4-4197-9EF2-C181860C38DD.jpeg

These are multipurpose mounts. I’m running power with a capped deutsch plug up to my rack. I have two Black Oak flood lights that I put Ram mounts on so one purpose will be scene lighting wherever I need it or even ditch lighting if I want it. The important part to me was that it’s versitile and not permanently mounted.

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

The best part about going to Expo is the overwhelming feeling to finish some projects. I finally got my ass in gear and installed my Midland MXT275 GMRS radio. I have a gear keeper mounted behind my rear view mirror and clips for both radio mics already attached. I’m using a Browning 27” 5.5db gain antenna, not pictured due to garage door guillotine.

View attachment 65843

There’s also a new Ram mount in the middle there..

View attachment 65844

.. and two more on the front corners.

View attachment 65845

These are multipurpose mounts. I’m running power with a capped deutsch plug up to my rack. I have two Black Oak flood lights that I put Ram mounts on so one purpose will be scene lighting wherever I need it or even ditch lighting if I want it. The important part to me was that it’s versitile and not permanently mounted.
What are you are using for your awning mounts?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
What are you are using for your awning mounts?
Those are FourTreks mounts as well. As a person who recently added an awning and did some research into mounts, I can also highly recommend the FourTreks ones.
Jeff is correct. He definitely knows that I’m a big fan of their products.

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

Thank you both, I need to get some that are nice and stable. Mine tend to rattle after awhile and then have to re-tighten them.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thank you both, I need to get some that are nice and stable. Mine tend to rattle after awhile and then have to re-tighten them.
Then they are the mounts for you. I haven’t touched any of mine since they were put on and they’re not going anywhere.

Reactions: Low594