...but it's a Subaru Outback?! Build thread.

• HTML tutorial

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Had a great weekend leading 20+ off road Subaru's around Bald Eagle State Forest. We did 95 miles of forest road/trails on Saturday alone. It was a good opportunity to give some new items a good shakedown and I mean that literally because Bald Eagle is as rocky as they come. Here's how my car returned home..

View attachment 22170

Everything mounted and secured to the rack..

View attachment 22171

If I had brought a copilot or wasn't leading I'd have some amazing shots of this stretch of trail (more pictures in general). Needless to say people were shocked when a stream of Subaru's came pouring out of it haha..

View attachment 22172

The LP Aventure bumper guard continues to do its thing well..

View attachment 22173

Not a single person for miles and miles..

View attachment 22174

Lastly a little standoff with a stubborn porcupine.

View attachment 22175

I wanna know about the shovel !

Reactions: Liana Lehua

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Right on! Congratulations on a successful family camping weekend!
Thank you! I looking forward to many more to come.

thats awesome love that car. i use to have an 04 Volvo s60 and it was all wheel drive with a skid plate. i should have kept it!
Thanks! There's a Volvo parked next to it in the garage but I think the closest to off road that'll ever get is if my wife parks in the grass at a fair haha.

Nice thread. Ive always admired outbacks.
I appreciate it! It's a very capable wagon.

Looking good man! Ill be in your area more frequently. We got to get together. Also once Im off for the season (Novemberish) we gotta hit some camping/outdoorsy shit
Thanks! Sounds good to me!

I wanna know about the shovel !
Haha yeah the #murderspork definitely gets some attention.

Reactions: buckwilk

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
What started with a cheap icross iPad mount (not pictured), my old iPad 2, and a Dual 150 external gps..

IMG_0963.JPG

Has grown into this. I just added a Delorme inreach which is, what I believe, the final piece.

IMG_2107.JPG

The Joy Factory mount could be more stable but is otherwise fantastic. I'm working on steadying up the mount but it's really not all that bad. I customized a watertight LifeProof iPad Air 2 case to use the magconnect and added an inreach cradle with a Ram clamp mount to one of the Joy Factory arms.

IMG_2105.JPG

I'll be putting it all to the test when I hit trails on my way to Expo East.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Can not wait to hear how stable that mount is.
Just the InReach and the Ram mount are new, I've been running the iPad mount for a while now. It does pretty good but like I said before it could be more stable. It doesn't bounce around or anything like that but I am going to come up with something that slips around the base below the cup holder adjustment collar. Its not weak at all but thats where it could use some extra support.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Expo is right around the corner which is great because it's forcing me to get things done. It's not great because I've been working a lot of OT and even I need some sleep haha.

So I finally got around to redoing the previously marred trim.

IMG_2151.JPG IMG_2153.JPG

Came up with a stealthy idea for mounting my Switch Pros panel. Aside from being completely hidden when I don't need it, it faces me perfectly when I do.

IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2155.JPG

I still need to add the legends but I'm loving this setup. No fuses, no relays and a host of options that can be adjusted using the panel...

IMG_2169.JPG

or via Bluetooth.

IMG_2174.PNG

Night lighting is super difficult to truly capture but you get the idea. I need to spend some time aiming them but I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish they were less spot and more flood.

IMG_2170.JPG IMG_2168.JPG

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
What are you plans for the remaining six switches?
In the short term I still have a 30" curved bar going up top and I need to make a decision on lighting for around the car. Beyond that I'm not sure for the remaining 2.

iluvdrt

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Oceanside, Ca
Member #

Just my personal opinion, but light bars above the cab do more bad than good. The glare off of them makes it very hard to see anything. Especially if there is stuff in the air like rain, dust or snow.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Just my personal opinion, but light bars above the cab do more bad than good. The glare off of them makes it very hard to see anything. Especially if there is stuff in the air like rain, dust or snow.
Thank you for the heads up. I am familiar with the situational issues but it's purely supplementary. I have HID lows and HIR highs that kill it in the road going light department and then there's the LEDs. I have been on the fence about where exactly to install it, taking into consideration glare even in optimal conditions.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
It was another good day for the long roof. I installed the Black Oak 30” curved light bar today. I wasn’t overly thrilled with my mounting options but I settled on one that works well. I also got all loaded up for Expo. I’m excited to take off on a road trip.

Since this picture I notched and reinstalled the fairing.

C8EB66D1-F26E-433D-A2C7-39376AAC4991.jpeg

Ran the wires down the windshield and I managed to do it super clean if I do say so myself.

EF76257A-4295-4557-BFD4-0132DD295D84.jpeg

33,000 raw lumens. iPhone camera doesn’t do it justice.

26272E92-C00A-46EC-8465-301498E0DA89.jpeg

The front 4 lights are aimed and, unsurprisingly, it made a huge difference. Even though the light output is ridiculous (20,000+ lumens) the custom yellow covers filter well and do a great job of adding versatility. Yellow is a lot easier on the eyes and the iPhone haha.

9AC09E5B-8922-4778-8884-0655AB72BBFB.jpeg

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Basically all loaded up for Expo and some trails on the way down. Can’t wait to leave once I’m done adulting haha.

Side note... I hate the #murderspork cover for a few reasons but I recently picked it up because I had an incident on the trails. The jack base wasn’t on the rack when it happened and those hungry teeth grabbed ahold of a branch and just about ripped it off the rack.

7F0DFBDC-43A5-4393-8AE8-9C3F2C5C8FD9.jpeg

Last edited:

Plumber_Tahoe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Canada
Member #

Just the InReach and the Ram mount are new, I've been running the iPad mount for a while now. It does pretty good but like I said before it could be more stable. It doesn't bounce around or anything like that but I am going to come up with something that slips around the base below the cup holder adjustment collar. Its not weak at all but thats where it could use some extra support.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I was also at Expo East and walked around your build in person not realizing that I was following it through Overland Bound. Very nice setup and goal for our "new to us" 2010 Outback. Just finished our Jeep build and working toward a more highway friend getaway vehicle.
Very cool and thank you! I wish I would have been around to talk Subaru.