Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I bought this brand new and it has been evolving ever since it hit our driveway. I built this for trail riding and rock crawling and have 60k on it now and love it. Times change and now we want to mix the trail with the camping so the transformation is taking place and we are very excited about it.

The Day I bought it...
120612151508_01.jpg

And as she sits today...

10668296_797995883554956_1961592811_n.jpg

So the first thing we needed of course was a roof rack. I built this one out of 1 1/4" steel pipe. A friend had a pipe bender so we made short work of it. For a couple rookies it came out pretty good I think.

roofrack5.jpg

diyjeeproofrack1.jpg

diyjeeproofrack2.jpg

diyjeeproofrack.jpg

Picked up a Cargo Basket for the rack and got a great Cyber Monday deal. I know some folks don't like decals but I think they define your interests and your thoughts. Like the "Money Pit" one on the front...lol :triumph:

cargo basket.jpg

I used to just throw the hi-lift jack in the jeep, bungy it down and go, but never did like that way. Decided to build and weld a jack mount on swing away tire carrier.
hilift1.jpg

hilift2.jpg

hilift4.jpg

To be continued... :sunglasses:

Last edited:

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Are you going to add cross-beams to it? You could also add light bar mounts if that's your cup of tea. ;)
I was going to weld some in but could not decide at the time just where to put them. I ended up making two cross bars that have pipe clamps on the ends so that I can put wherever I need them. I use them for the cargo rack now and they work great.

Attachments

Reactions: 15Canyon

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Tire Carrier Build
I am using my existing tire carrier and adding more framework to mount a 20lb propane bottle and (2) 6 gallon water jugs.

The way it is now...
tailgate.jpg

What I am mounting...
aluminum20lbpropane.jpg 15780738_1302005093154030_3042822199212818493_n.jpg

I have the basic frame cut and fitted. The aluminum propane tank will be side mounted above the spare tire and one water jug mounted on either side of tire just above tail lights. Also planning on moving my CB antenna mount to it and welding on 2 flag mounts. :wink:
tirecarrier1.jpg tirecarrier2.jpg tirecarrier.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JimG92

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Today I got the braces for the propane tank welded on and also the tray for the water jugs. Still have lots to do but I like where its going.
tirecarrier4.jpg
tirecarrier3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricklet03

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

excellent looking rig!!! the roof rack came out great!! I know the pain of building a vehicle then changing plans lol
I built my 03 ram and then sold it then built my 06 ram and then sold it and now im building my wj lol talk about money pits

Reactions: Glenn

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

excellent looking rig!!! the roof rack came out great!! I know the pain of building a vehicle then changing plans lol
I built my 03 ram and then sold it then built my 06 ram and then sold it and now im building my wj lol talk about money pits
Thanks...The sky is the limit with builds. I am doing a lot of "DIY" to ease the pain in the wallet. So far I am happy, not perfect but neither am I...lol.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Looks good!
Thanks !

As an update...The solar setup has been hooked up for weeks now in the shed and has passed every test I threw at it. Now its time to get the parts mounted. I have a Pelican case that I am getting tomorrow (free :smile:) that I am thinking should make a great compact portable kit to throw in the jeep. I have seen some awesome setups on Youtube that just make sense to do.

Here are the components of our system...

16473664_1334815133206359_6188267825067636766_n.jpg

Reactions: Road

Tricklet03

Rank I

Traveler II

I bought this brand new and it has been evolving ever since it hit our driveway. I built this for trail riding and rock crawling and have 60k on it now and love it. Times change and now we want to mix the trail with the camping so the transformation is taking place and we are very excited about it.

The Day I bought it...
View attachment 14418

And as she sits today...

View attachment 14419

So the first thing we needed of course was a roof rack. I built this one out of 1 1/4" steel pipe. A friend had a pipe bender so we made short work of it. For a couple rookies it came out pretty good I think.

View attachment 14420

View attachment 14421

View attachment 14422

View attachment 14423

Picked up a Cargo Basket for the rack and got a great Cyber Monday deal. I know some folks don't like decals but I think they define your interests and your thoughts. Like the "Money Pit" one on the front...lol :triumph:

View attachment 14426

I used to just throw the hi-lift jack in the jeep, bungy it down and go, but never did like that way. Decided to build and weld a jack mount on swing away tire carrier.
View attachment 14427

View attachment 14428

View attachment 14431

To be continued... :sunglasses:
Great looking build! I really like your rock sliders. All that work put into your rig is motivating. Keep it up!

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Great looking build! I really like your rock sliders. All that work put into your rig is motivating. Keep it up!
Thank you !
Its been pretty much just a trail rig and DD. But now getting it converted over for camp has been a lot of fun. Now we will be able to enjoy the best of both worlds :smile:

Here is a short trail riding video of runs we did last year.

Reactions: Tricklet03

Tricklet03

Rank I

Traveler II

Thank you !
Its been pretty much just a trail rig and DD. But now getting it converted over for camp has been a lot of fun. Now we will be able to enjoy the best of both worlds :smile:

Here is a short trail riding video of runs we did last year.
Very nice! Where are these trails?

Tricklet03

Rank I

Traveler II

Thanks...The sky is the limit with builds. I am doing a lot of "DIY" to ease the pain in the wallet. So far I am happy, not perfect but neither am I...lol.
The perfect rig is the one you like the most. Even if it's not a built monster, it you have fun in it, its perfect.

Reactions: Glenn