• HTML tutorial

Heyjt

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pasadena, CA
Member #

Nice
Just picked the new 2017 TRD Off road 4runner. Been waiting since February... The dealership forgot the TRD skid plate in front, but otherwise im excited to get started. Here are the Before Photos...

Ill very soon be installing...
-RCI sliders
-Bfg Ko2 275/70/17 tires
-Gobi stealth rack
-Baja rack rear ladder
-40in Light bar on the Gobi rack
-Front TRD skid plate
-Sleeping platform to cover the folded rear seats and cargo area
-Overland bound emblems lol

Possible/ future additions
-Suspension or Leveling kit (havent decided)
-Hefty fab works front bumper
-Rear bumper (undecided)
-Winch (undecided)

View attachment 23874 View attachment 23877
Nice ride! I picked up my 2017 TRD Off Road in April and have done minimal mods, except for tires and sliders. Have you leveled your truck? If not are you planning...? I'm thinking about a 2.5" in front for clearance. Thoughts?

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Nice

Nice ride! I picked up my 2017 TRD Off Road in April and have done minimal mods, except for tires and sliders. Have you leveled your truck? If not are you planning...? I'm thinking about a 2.5" in front for clearance. Thoughts?
I havent leveled or lifted yet... I want to, just havent gotten around to it. Im thinking of waiting until i need to replace my tires... that way i can go a size up on tires at the same time. I think ill switch to 285/70/17 when i mess with the suspension. There are so many things i want to do im having to go slowly to afford it all.

Reactions: OKT4RCPL

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Ok, new updates... I ordered a front bumper! Soon ill have the C4fab low profile bumper with full height tube, led bar, and im still deciding on what winch to install. I also made a set of maxtrax mounts. Im still in the process of testing them/ working out the kinks. Technically they can hold all 4 of my recovery boards, but at the moment i dont think they are quite solid enough to handle that much weight. The brackets that attach to my rack have rubber gaskets which allow for different size tubing. Well the rubber has a bit of give even when the brackets are fully tightened. This causes them to rotate a little on the bar when too much weight is on them. Im going to try putting some black hockey tape under the rubber gasket to increase the friction. As of now i also use two short bungees on the bottom side just to keep everything tight. I also still need to see how well the mounts will fit when my tent is up top too. But sofar this is what ive come up with...20170828_144729.jpg 20170829_144920.jpg

Reactions: pereztroika

3wbdriver

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesville, Louisiana
Member #

Just as an FYI you'll lose about 3/4" on the factory front springs with that bumper and a winch. I did when I installed the SSO Slimline and a winch totaling about 130 lbs. You may be looking at a suspension upgrade sooner than you'd planned. :hushed:

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Just as an FYI you'll lose about 3/4" on the factory front springs with that bumper and a winch. I did when I installed the SSO Slimline and a winch totaling about 130 lbs. You may be looking at a suspension upgrade sooner than you'd planned. :hushed:
Yeah, i was thinking about that... i know as ive been installing things the weight has been adding up.

pereztroika

Rank 0

Traveler I

mexico
Ok, new updates... I ordered a front bumper! Soon ill have the C4fab low profile bumper with full height tube, led bar, and im still deciding on what winch to install. I also made a set of maxtrax mounts. Im still in the process of testing them/ working out the kinks. Technically they can hold all 4 of my recovery boards, but at the moment i dont think they are quite solid enough to handle that much weight. The brackets that attach to my rack have rubber gaskets which allow for different size tubing. Well the rubber has a bit of give even when the brackets are fully tightened. This causes them to rotate a little on the bar when too much weight is on them. Im going to try putting some black hockey tape under the rubber gasket to increase the friction. As of now i also use two short bungees on the bottom side just to keep everything tight. I also still need to see how well the mounts will fit when my tent is up top too. But sofar this is what ive come up with...View attachment 33222 View attachment 33223
i like what you did there, i did somthing similar for my axe and shovel in the roll cage of my jk.

3wbdriver

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesville, Louisiana
Member #

I'm running Bilstein 5100's all around. The fronts are set at 0 with OME 885 springs for 2" lift. The rears are Toytec +10% Superflex for 2" of lift. But I installed those before I installed the CBI bumper, RTT, and I normally carry about 200 pounds of gear in the back. It rides body level when fully loaded and stays well planted to the road, but I've lost the 2" in the rear so I'm looking at upgrading those. I am at 70,000+ miles on the 5100's and still happy with them. But in hindsight I would probably have gone with Old Man Emu shocks since I wasn't anticipating adding so much weight. I'm currently about 800 pounds over factory dry weight with all the add ons. I'm not into King, Icon, or other high speed aftermarket shocks because I simply don't ever expect to drive in such a way as to justify their price. Sorry I took so long to respond. I've been on the road since last Wednesday.

Reactions: NZ4runner

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Update... Took the rig up North over the holiday weekend. The maxtrax mounts worked out well. No shifting or problems with them. Today my Rago fabrication panel for the rear window arrived. I managed to get it installed and one accessory on before i had to head to work. Installation went pretty smoothly, took about 40 minutes with a little bit of adjusting to get the fit the way i wanted. Im impressed with the quality of it sofar, and it looks very clean. Not 100% sure on what ill mount on it, but i know ill find some good uses. When i first got the toolbox for my Gobi rack i didnt expect to use it that often, but its turned out to be the most used thing i have. Its been great for keeping all my straps and spare tools. Right now the plan is to use quick fist mounts to secure everything to the panel. I think that way everything will be tight, and i wont get any rattles. Anyway, heres a before shot... and an after with my hatchet mounted.20170907_135554.jpg 20170907_151253.jpg 20170907_151331.jpg

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm running Bilstein 5100's all around. The fronts are set at 0 with OME 885 springs for 2" lift. The rears are Toytec +10% Superflex for 2" of lift. But I installed those before I installed the CBI bumper, RTT, and I normally carry about 200 pounds of gear in the back. It rides body level when fully loaded and stays well planted to the road, but I've lost the 2" in the rear so I'm looking at upgrading those. I am at 70,000+ miles on the 5100's and still happy with them. But in hindsight I would probably have gone with Old Man Emu shocks since I wasn't anticipating adding so much weight. I'm currently about 800 pounds over factory dry weight with all the add ons. I'm not into King, Icon, or other high speed aftermarket shocks because I simply don't ever expect to drive in such a way as to justify their price. Sorry I took so long to respond. I've been on the road since last Wednesday.
I'm curious, are you saying the OME shocks would support more weight than the Bilstein 5100s? I've always been under the impression that the OMEs gave the best ride but that was because they were more compliantb& the 5100s were stiffer & less compliant.

3wbdriver

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesville, Louisiana
Member #

I'm curious, are you saying the OME shocks would support more weight than the Bilstein 5100s? I've always been under the impression that the OMEs gave the best ride but that was because they were more compliantb& the 5100s were stiffer & less compliant.
I don't have first hand experience, but I had always understood the OME shocks gave a stiffer ride. So I figured they had a heavier damping setup for more weight. The 5100's, when installed on a stock 4R will only very slightly stiffen the ride. It's almost not a noticeable difference except nose dive is slightly reduced. Even with the extra weight mine are still obviously damping and don't feel overloaded. But they are also obviously softer. Think 74 Cadillac style ride. The OME's were designed and built to be used in the Australian Outback with a fully loaded vehicle. So I just think they are made with heavier components and have stiffer damping. But again I have no direct first hand experience to back this theory. I LIKE the way the 5100's handle and conform to the terrain when off road now. I just THINK the OME's might be better with my current setup.

You need to remember, the weight SUPPORT is provided by the springs. How the weight is DAMPENED from bounce and rebound is a product of the shocks.

Reactions: RainGoat

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

New mod just finished... I installed a new differential breather. I went with the creeper breather over the ARB kit. It was cheaper, and had a much more simple install. For the small amount of water my truck has seen to date, i think it will be sufficient. In the future i find myself doing more water crossings and such ill make the upgrade. Maybe ill swap it out when i get the snorkel. As for this install though, couldnt have been much easier. Just unscrew the stock breather, and put the new one in its place. The most difficult part was just fitting my arms and wrench in the small space. Hopefully it holds up well...

Reactions: RainGoat

Joshua Miller

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New mod just finished... I installed a new differential breather. I went with the creeper breather over the ARB kit. It was cheaper, and had a much more simple install. For the small amount of water my truck has seen to date, i think it will be sufficient. In the future i find myself doing more water crossings and such ill make the upgrade. Maybe ill swap it out when i get the snorkel. As for this install though, couldnt have been much easier. Just unscrew the stock breather, and put the new one in its place. The most difficult part was just fitting my arms and wrench in the small space. Hopefully it holds up well...
Hello, NZ4runner.
Any update on the creeper breather install? Has it worked well for you? I am considering using the same kit on my 2018 4R TRD OR.
Thanks!

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Hello, NZ4runner.
Any update on the creeper breather install? Has it worked well for you? I am considering using the same kit on my 2018 4R TRD OR.
Thanks!
Well this past weekend i went on a trip and the 4runner went through lots of water... no crossings, but lots and lots of deep puddles and partially flooded roads/ trails. I havent noticed any issues, but i havent gone as far as checking and fluids or oil. Just a visual inspection, and everything looked good.

Reactions: Joshua Miller

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

I did however learn on this last trip some sad news about my mounting options... once i mounted my tepui tent my max trax mounts wouldnt fit like they had before, and neither would my shovel mount. The rubber gaskets the mounts came with were moving when they shouldnt, and i couldnt make them any tighter. I was not happy. I decided to nix the full size shovel. I mounted a folding shovel on my interior driver side panel, so that wasnt a big deal... but i still dont have a good solution for my max trax. I just put them in a bag inside the truck. That wasnt ideal once i used them to level the truck at the campsite. I didnt like packing and unpaking a bunch of stuff just to move around wet max trax. Im going to need to fabricate a new set of brackets with no rubber gaskets... On a more positive note, here are a couple cool pics from the trip!22859785_10102532806263126_2679182157523047154_o.jpg 22829076_10102532820634326_6850802903588054063_o.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy P

Joshua Miller

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nice photos. Love the red 4Runner.

I went ahead and purchased the ARB diff breather kit. Install shouldn't be too difficult and from what I have read it should be a quality product.

Reactions: NZ4runner