2017 4runner TRD Off Road build "Hyperion"

• HTML tutorial

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Still waiting on the gobi rack... not pleased. 17 weeks since the order was placed... I was told it would ship out last week after i emailed them. Still no shipment this week, and theyre slow to respond to messages. I couldve used it on the last trip, and its about to miss this weekends trip as well.

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Got an update on the rack... it should arrive next week. Thats an 18 week total. I asked, and Gobi said they would send me a free accessory for the delay. If they follow through i think its a fair deal for the hassle.

On a more positive note... Took the rig on its first roadtrip...

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Well good news! I finally got the Gobi installed!!!!! Very happy with the product, packaging, and instructions. Installation was a breeze for the most part. The most difficult thing was putting on the wind deflector/ LED bar. It took me a bit to get everything lined up and snug. I actually did quite a bit this past week on it...

-Installed the rack.
-Installed the ladder. I got the baja rack ladder, not gobi... i think the baja looks nicer. Installation was pretty east on the ladder too, despite reviews saying otherwise.
-Installed the light bar.
-Installed the rear hatch heavier duty shocks. (way more simple than i expected)
-Repainted the sliders where they had been chipped from gravel.
-Cut grip tape to fit the places hit by gravel. Stuck it on those spots to see if it helps protect the paint.
-Put grip tape on the rungs of the ladder and roof rack where i will step.
-Got a smitybilt hitch step, so i wont have to stand on the bumper so much. Also easy if i need to pull something.

Still to do...
-Put protective film behind the ladder, and on the spoiler where people will scratch it up.
-Mount maxtrax holder bolts
-Mount tire carrier on rack (attempted this with the rack on, but i cant get my arm under the rack to tighten the bolts. Ill have to come up with something creative)20170702_130205.jpg
20170702_131931.jpg

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

I need to put grip tape on my sliders. Out of curiosity, where'd you guys find grip tape? I was going to go to a skate shop, but I'm not sure that stuff is heavy duty enough...

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@YETI X
I need to put grip tape on my sliders. Out of curiosity, where'd you guys find grip tape? I was going to go to a skate shop, but I'm not sure that stuff is heavy duty enough...
I've also tried adhesive "sandpaper" and for anything that will get wet it's a no-go. The glue on that is made to be released when wet so you can swap out paper on the disk.
Your local Skate shop would be my recommendation. They may have a couple of grades of adhesive the strong stuff way out lasts the junk I got from the BORG.

Boort

Reactions: Doug C and YETI X

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

I went on ebay and bought two rolls of skateboard grip tape... I think it only cost me about 6 bucks. So far after a few days with rain i see no issues. Everything is still sticking fine. As far as durability when it comes to getting hit with rocks and gravel i cant say. Ill update on wear and tear after i get some more gravel road time.

Reactions: YETI X

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

@YETI X

I've also tried adhesive "sandpaper" and for anything that will get wet it's a no-go. The glue on that is made to be released when wet so you can swap out paper on the disk.
Your local Skate shop would be my recommendation. They may have a couple of grades of adhesive the strong stuff way out lasts the junk I got from the BORG.

Boort
Have you ever seen the grip they sell at hardware stores for steps and stuff? Its rougher, and more heavy duty than skate grip tape. Sadly its also more expensive, and doesnt come in as big of a roll. In terms of durability and function i think it looks promising...

Reactions: YETI X

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@NZ4runner
Have you ever seen the grip they sell at hardware stores for steps and stuff? Its rougher, and more heavy duty than skate grip tape. Sadly its also more expensive, and doesnt come in as big of a roll. In terms of durability and function i think it looks promising...
My local Ace or TrueValue sells 3M grip tape for like $50 a 2" roll. That was out of the ballpark for me. Amazon sells the 3M stuff for about $12 (search for "3M Safety-Walk Outdoor Tread" but I needed it to finish a project and did not want to wait. Grainger sells the industrial, OSHA blessed, stuff for $15+ a roll. That is what sent me to the skate shop. I paid about $7-8 for about a yard long 10" wide strip from the skateshop.

Other bonus of the Skateshop is you can get clear and all kinds of graphics if you don't want plain black. Skaters love their decks more than most of us do our rigs. :D
@YETI X they even have one with a graphic just for you https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/GM_Bigfoot_Bigfoot.jpg

Boort

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

@NZ4runner

My local Ace or TrueValue sells 3M grip tape for like $50 a 2" roll. That was out of the ballpark for me. Amazon sells the 3M stuff for about $12 (search for "3M Safety-Walk Outdoor Tread" but I needed it to finish a project and did not want to wait. Grainger sells the industrial, OSHA blessed, stuff for $15+ a roll. That is what sent me to the skate shop. I paid about $7-8 for about a yard long 10" wide strip from the skateshop.

Other bonus of the Skateshop is you can get clear and all kinds of graphics if you don't want plain black. Skaters love their decks more than most of us do our rigs. :D
@YETI X they even have one with a graphic just for you https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/GM_Bigfoot_Bigfoot.jpg

Boort
:sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

I went by my Ace on the way home and they sell the 3M stuff by the foot, $2.99/ft. Score!!! I now have four treads on my sliders. Thank you everyone for the ideas!

So, NZ4runner, what's next for your rig??

Reactions: NZ4runner

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

:sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

I went by my Ace on the way home and they sell the 3M stuff by the foot, $2.99/ft. Score!!! I now have four treads on my sliders. Thank you everyone for the ideas!

So, NZ4runner, what's next for your rig??
I really want to get the Rago Fabrication interior panels that go near the rear pillar windows. I think they look pretty cool, and im sure ill find something to stick on them.
Im also looking at buying one of the Smittybilt rooftop tents...

Really the next minor things will be protective film, and mounting my maxtrax/ tire carrier bracket. I was a little disappointed when i went to do the maxtrax the other day. I have some off brand ones, and when i went to mount them on the rack i found they didnt fit. I wanted them to be horizontal near the back of the rack. I found however that they are too long by a couple of inches. If i mount them facing front to back they will be in the way of the tent, or possibly any containers i put up top. Im going to have to either raise them up so they clear the side rails, or find a different way to mount them all together. I dont have brackets for them, I was planning on just attaching 4 bolts to the rack and using them like posts that go in the track holes. I got wingnuts and big washers to hold them down during travel.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

This weekend is Cedar Point with my girl, and Mon-Weds ill be going rock climbing in West Virginia... So i wont be getting anything new done till next week.
Cedar Point 4 wheeling? Or the coaster capital?
Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend! (better than working which is what I get to do all weekend. :( )

Boort

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Cedar Point 4 wheeling? Or the coaster capital?
Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend! (better than working which is what I get to do all weekend. :( )

Boort
Coaster capital... and I work weds-sat nights, so i feel you on the weekend thing. Technically i should be working this Sunday as well, but i got my shift covered.