2017 4runner TRD Off Road build "Hyperion"

• HTML tutorial

BrandonH

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I went with the smittybily xrc 9500 with synthetic... originally it was one of the winch options that c4 had listed for order with the bumper. I figured if they were selling it directly with the bumper it must fit and be a decent choice. Sofar for me its worked well... i havent had to do a recovery with it, but its pulled a pontoon boat onto a beach with ease. Install wasnt bad either...
Nice! I was looking at the one too and if I'm not mistaken it's a bit cheaper than the X20. I may have to consider picking that one up instead. Sadly when I ordered my bumper they only offered two winches priced around $900. Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade to a more expensive winch like a Warn.
Thanks!

Reactions: NZ4runner

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Been a while since ive done any updates... but some new stuff coming. Ordered the second rago passenger side panel, and rear cargo molle shelf. Also looking to order the victory 4x4 rear bumper. Got some good rides on the trails on Drummond island, and was very hapy with the bilsteins up front. Gonna try and attach some more pics...

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Got the Rago shelf installed! Its pretty nice... very solid. I wouldnt hang from it just because i dont want to damage the trucks built in mounts, but the rack itself is prob strong enough to take it. I mounted mine at the highest level up. It doesnt interfere with the rear view mirror at all. The top also holds a good bit of stuff. See pics below! Also, I ordered the Wilco offroad offset hitch mount tire carrier. Ill post pics and review it once i get it installed and use it a bit.

20191129_144946.jpg20191129_153025.jpg20191129_153109.jpg

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Great build, enjoyed following your progress. I have a 2020 ORP in the same color and have a few mods done to it already. Looking forward to following your future mods.

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

So guys... i bought the wilco hitchgate offset with the goal of carrying a second spare tire. (I want to drive the Dalton highway in AK, ive read having 2 spares is smart) I ran into a problem however... the spare under the 4runner prevents the hitchgate from sliding all the way into the hitch. Id rather not move the original spare from under the rig, as it would take up lots of interior space. My roof rack is already full as well. Has anyone else encountered this situation? What did you do to solve it? Im considering modifying the hitchgate, as i dont plan to tow from it.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I love that inter
Got the Rago shelf installed! Its pretty nice... very solid. I wouldnt hang from it just because i dont want to damage the trucks built in mounts, but the rack itself is prob strong enough to take it. I mounted mine at the highest level up. It doesnt interfere with the rear view mirror at all. The top also holds a good bit of stuff. See pics below! Also, I ordered the Wilco offroad offset hitch mount tire carrier. Ill post pics and review it once i get it installed and use it a bit.

View attachment 129053View attachment 129054View attachment 129055
I love that interior rack! Nice build, brother!

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Heres what i did for now with the Hitchgate... and im going to test it a bit locally before i make the permanent decision. I kept the spare. Removed the extra wedgelock part (just unscrewed it, no cutting). Its removal bought me just enough clearance to get the Hitchgate to the first hole in my receiver. I went to the hardware store and bought a heavy duty fully threaded stainless bolt. I put the bolt through the receiver and into the Hitchgate. Inside the Hitchgate (this was the hard part) i put a washer and one of those nuts with nylon? that doesnt spin. Then i threaded it though to the other side with my ratchet, and added another washer, locking washer, and nylon nut. When I tightened up the exterior nut and head of the bolt, it pushed the interior bolt sideways. This sandwiched the Hitchgate up against the receiver nice and tight. Theres a small gap on the other side that im going to fill with some kind of wedge. I was able to stand and jump on the Hitchgate with almost zero movement. The whole truck was moving but almost no budge on the Hitchgate. Its not perfect, but its pretty darn good. My only concern is that any tiny movement will eventually turn into more over time... so i need to get the other side wedged just to make it a little better. 20191207_163428.jpg20191207_163419.jpg20191207_163317.jpg20191207_163259.jpg20191207_163451.jpg20191207_163507.jpg

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Poor Hyperion! I’m relieved that you and any passengers are unhurt. I still mourn the passing of members of the 4Runner clan.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

RIP Hyperion. You are missed.

Hyperion hit a deer at 65. Smashed up the front passengers side, blew all 8 airbags. :disrelieved: No injuries except to the truck...
Sorry to hear the news but I'm glad to know there were no injuries... Although, I assume the deer was injured a bit.
It's crazy to think you can spend so much money on vehicle protection but such a small split second can make it all null and void.

What's next for you?! Can you salvage anything from the 4Runner for another application?