2017 4runner TRD Off Road build "Hyperion"

• HTML tutorial

bassfishindoc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Middle TN
Member #

Looking great. I was hoping my wife would get a 4Runner, but she ended up choosing a Toyota Sequoia. Nice and big for the family, but a little too big for overlanding and trails.

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

New additions (Pics soon)...
So the GOBI rack (which im very pleased with) came 8 weeks late. When i contacted them about the arrival time i asked if i could get a free accessory for the hassle. They sent me the 170.00 toolbox for free. It came in the mail today, and i just got it mounted. I will say its nice, and pretty good quality. The lid locks, but it wasnt tight and would move up and down. I added an additional foam seal to fill in the space, and now its nice and snug. I dont know if its worth 170 bucks, but its def a cool little box. Ill post a picture soon.

I also pulled the trigger on ordering the Rago Fabrication drivers side window panel. I think it looks pretty cool, and i have a few little things i can mount on it. It wont arrive for quite a while, but ill make sure to post a few pics, and let everyone know what i think of it.

Next addition will be a shovel mount for the rack, and either an awning or rooftop tent.

Reactions: RainGoat

squirrel_cage

Rank 0

Contributor I

I also got the tool box with my Gobi (on my FJ60) that came late. The box is nice, but ultimately took it back off for 2 reasons. 1 it would not be useable with my rtt, and 2 I found that even after the weather strip. As for the Maxtrax, here is a pic of mine mom noted just like you said. I did have to drill the holes slightly larger, as I used 1/2" bolts, but they are very secure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: NC-Trooper

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

I also got the tool box with my Gobi (on my FJ60) that came late. The box is nice, but ultimately took it back off for 2 reasons. 1 it would not be useable with my rtt, and 2 I found that even after the weather strip. As for the Maxtrax, here is a pic of mine mom noted just like you said. I did have to drill the holes slightly larger, as I used 1/2" bolts, but they are very secure.

Yea thats exactly how i wanted to put mine, but technically i dont have maxtrax. I have some off brand ones i got off ebay. 150.00 for all four. It was too good of a deal to pass up, and they are still pretty nice. I guess mine are just a little too long :/

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Here are some pics of the mounted tool box, the hitch step, and some sweeet stickers on the wind deflector (; I decided to name the rig Hyperion... thought it sounded pretty cool, being the titan of light and all.20170717_154804.jpg 20170717_154820.jpg 20170717_154856.jpg 20170717_154922.jpg

Reactions: RainGoat and YETI X

squirrel_cage

Rank 0

Contributor I

Yea thats exactly how i wanted to put mine, but technically i dont have maxtrax. I have some off brand ones i got off ebay. 150.00 for all four. It was too good of a deal to pass up, and they are still pretty nice. I guess mine are just a little too long :/
Maybe you could try using some all thread instead of bolts. That way you could elevate them just at the top edge of the rack in the same orientation.

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

New addition! Got my Tepui Ayer Sky rooftop tent! Installation was pretty simple. I have the two removable crossbars for my gobi rack, so i just attached it to those... Once i loosen the 4 bolts i can just lift the tent off for storage. The tent itself is nice. Seems to be good quality sofar. Ill be taking it to Lake Superior Provincial Park in Canada this weekend. The next things on the list for the truck will be to install the Rago Fabrication interior rack that i ordered for the drivers rear window. I also ordered some brackets to mount my shovel on the rack. I need to pick up an air compressor as well. That Road Shower water tank is on my radar too... Might wait till spring to order that though. 20170808_143150.jpg 20170808_143133.jpg 20170808_145450.jpg 20170808_143451.jpg

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Not part of the build, but i thought this was kinda funny... My old ride next to my new ride haha. Gotta say, i still love the scion... Although its not really ideal for overlanding i had some good times in it...20170810_132539.jpg

Reactions: Juan P Rodriguez

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Ohh also, update on the RTT... LOVE IT. I highly recommend getting one... The setup was easier the second time, and i was done within 5 minutes after arriving at camp. We got to our campsite late, and even in the dark the Tepui Ayer Sky tent was really simple to setup. Im really glad i made the purchase. The first night got down to 50 degrees, and it even rained for a couple hours. I had no leaks, and i stayed plenty warm. Having that 2in padding in the tent was also very nice. My friends had an inflatable mattress they had to struggle to inflate... and they couldnt use tit the first night because the pump wouldve been too loud. Literally the only drawback for the tent ive found sofar is that i cant easily take it on and off of the rig. The 4runner is my daily driver, and i dont like having the tent on 24/7. I need a hand to take it off and mount it back on.

3wbdriver

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesville, Louisiana
Member #

Looks good. Just as a comment on all the grip tape discussion. I bought ladder and step non-skid tape at Lowe's for my CBI bumper so I could have a less slippery surface while I was standing on it. 18 months later it has shown no signs of wear or fraying around the edges. I plan to add some to the top surfaces of my Beavertail and the top side of my sliders also. Although I usually only step on the sliders to get a step up to my rear tire for access to the roof rack I may use them more for access to the front of the roof rack, and since I can only get the balls of my feet on them I would feel better gripped with the tape on there. It has a very aggressive sandpaper texture and I haven't had any problems with wet conditions. I can't comment on caked on muddy boots though.

Attachments

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Looks great! Love the sliders & Gobi rack. I look forward to seeing that mole panel installed.

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Nice build! That RTT is on my radar..
Totally worth it... I did however find another drawback. If you leave the tent packed up make sure your windows are up when you first move your rig. I pulled out of my driveway today with my windows down, and when i rolled down the curb a big puddle that was pooled on top dumped all over my arm and driver side door area. Lesson learned.