Reid Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rogue River, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7BHH
Hello everyone. I am new to the community and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. My mode of transportation will be my 2018 T4R TRD Off Road with basic 3" spacer lift and 285/70/17 KO2s. I haven't been "Off Roading" in many years so I am sure the vehicle is much more capable than what I would want to put it through. We will be tent camping (ground, not RTT... yet) but will probably get a Motel for a night or two.

The trip will take place in the middle of January and the main purpose is to photograph Yosemite in winter. It will be begin on I-5 coming out of Southern Oregon. Some of the destinations I would like to visit in the 9 days available is Death Valley, Mono Lake Tufas, Bodie Ghost Town and El Mirage Dry Lake Bed but would love to get off the beaten path on the way down for some less known areas not in the guide books.

Being photography and videography the main objective, beautiful scenery is the name and places outside of National Parks are a plus for Aerial Photography and Videography.

This will be our first trip with what will become our Overlanding Build.

Reid Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rogue River, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7BHH
Sounds like a fun trip. Keep in mind that the Tioga Pass (road between Mono Lake and Yosemite) is closed for the winter. Look forward to seeing the photos.
Very good point. So I will most likely have to visit the west side of Yosemite, head south around Sequoia National forest then to Death Valley and back up to Mono Lake and Bodie. Thank you.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

We have camped on the Valley floor during winter. Curry Village is still operating and the hotels are open year round. Roads are plowed. To get to the East Side - you'll have to down and around. A stop in Bishop is worth the effort.

Reactions: Reid Adventures

Reid Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rogue River, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7BHH
We have camped on the Valley floor during winter. Curry Village is still operating and the hotels are open year round. Roads are plowed. To get to the East Side - you'll have to down and around. A stop in Bishop is worth the effort.
Thank you. With time permitting I think we will check it out when we swing around and start heading back north. Is Bishop close to the Alabama Hills? There is a place called Mobius Arch that I want to try to make it to.

Square Foot

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, California, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
vandel
Member #

Bishop is to the north of the Alabama Hills (about 50 miles). A couple of months ago, I camped at Alabama Hills and the spot I happened to find was just 1/4 mile to the east of Mobius Arch. Definitely worth going.
DSC_6887.jpg DSC_6900.jpg

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Bodie will be tough to get to unless you bring a snowmobile. There's numerous hot springs in the Mammoth and Bridgeport area that are great. There's also an easy trail that takes you around Mono Lake...

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello everyone. I am new to the community and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. My mode of transportation will be my 2018 T4R TRD Off Road with basic 3" spacer lift and 285/70/17 KO2s. I haven't been "Off Roading" in many years so I am sure the vehicle is much more capable than what I would want to put it through. We will be tent camping (ground, not RTT... yet) but will probably get a Motel for a night or two.

The trip will take place in the middle of January and the main purpose is to photograph Yosemite in winter. It will be begin on I-5 coming out of Southern Oregon. Some of the destinations I would like to visit in the 9 days available is Death Valley, Mono Lake Tufas, Bodie Ghost Town and El Mirage Dry Lake Bed but would love to get off the beaten path on the way down for some less known areas not in the guide books.

Being photography and videography the main objective, beautiful scenery is the name and places outside of National Parks are a plus for Aerial Photography and Videography.

This will be our first trip with what will become our Overlanding Build.
if you want specific GPS coordinates for some of these areas I can provide them. The Bodie Hills and State Park will more than likely be closed due to weather. Death Vally is doable. message me @Kent R if you want the info.

Reid Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rogue River, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7BHH
Bishop is to the north of the Alabama Hills (about 50 miles). A couple of months ago, I camped at Alabama Hills and the spot I happened to find was just 1/4 mile to the east of Mobius Arch. Definitely worth going.
View attachment 78609 View attachment 78610
That is exactly the spot I am looking for. I am going to try some astrophotography to capture the arch and stars. Although, the way my luck goes it will be completed cloud covered but I do keep trying. Is that fairly easy to find?

Reid Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rogue River, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7BHH
Bodie will be tough to get to unless you bring a snowmobile. There's numerous hot springs in the Mammoth and Bridgeport area that are great. There's also an easy trail that takes you around Mono Lake...

Perfect. From what I hear the south side Tufas are the better ones for photography.

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

As many mentioned here Bodie is closed, I tried to go right after the first snow day and it was closed. Visitor center in the mono lake was closed too but you can still explore and enjoy the view. There are some easy trails around Mammoth Lakes area... specifically around the "Hot Creek Geological Site" which will provide some nice views of the sierras.

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509
Winter Visits
Bodie is open all year. However, because of the high elevation (8375 feet), it is accessible only by skis, snowshoes or snowmobiles during winter months. Snowmobiles must stay on designated roads in the Bodie Hills.

Winter weather is often unpredictable. Sub-zero temperatures, strong winds and white-out conditions are common. Many four wheel drive vehicles with chains get stuck each year in powdery snow. In Spring, mud can be a problem. Local towing services, when available, can be costly.

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

There are some easy trails around Mammoth Lakes area... specifically around the "Hot Creek Geological Site" which will provide some nice views of the sierras.
Thanks for the tip, that looks like a short detour next time I am that way on US-395.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I once drove into Bodie before the road was officially open, but I came in the long way from the Nevada side, and left the usual way on the California side. The ranger wasn’t too happy to see me, but the people I gave a ride too were very happy not to have to hike back out. I guess I’m lucky the ranger didn’t make me go back out the long way.