WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
I used to drive my Jeep to work every day. Then the commute exceeded 70 miles round trip and my gas mileage dropped under 16mpg. lol.

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

So true about parking garages. I tried once, scraped the roof and thankfully was able to back out of there. The damage was minimal. Lesson learned.

Reactions: derekjhunt

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I drove to work today with a bunch of camp stuff in the back of my 4Runner.. I use mine for both.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

So true about parking garages. I tried once, scraped the roof and thankfully was able to back out of there. The damage was minimal. Lesson learned.
I felt like I'd won the lottery when I was moved to a new parking structure at work.. the one with the 7' clearance signs.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I didnt dig the article that much when I read it initially and then re-read it a few weeks ago. Case in point: Harley Riders. Many guys I know went to work in all their Harley regalia - boots, chaps, belt buckle, t-shirt, vest, jacket, beanie style helmet, gloves... all branded HD. THey took all of it off to put on scrubs wihle the bike sat in the lot with tons fo accessories. Stereos, bags, grip tassels, coffee cup holder, etc. Eventually many of them got stolen. Parts and whole bikes.

Why leave traction boards, shackles, propane bottles, ax, shovel, hi-lift, etc on when it can all easily be detached and walked away with? Minimize your DD, outfit your weekend rig!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Weve messed up so many airport parking garage overhangs and drive through fast food overhangs with my contractors rack its almost funny apparently neither me nor my wife can comprehend what 8 ft looks like . We are not over cautious on the trails with our newish truck because weve got the disposable income and i have the know how to fix things if they break. Only thing we are remotely cautious with is when were on rocks to not mess up the body beyond all the trail pinstriping weve got, i hate doing bodywork and panels are riddiculously expensive for our truck.

Submariner

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Montesano, WA, USA
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Harper
Member #

My"new" jeep cherokee is my daily driver. Of course my Comanche is my go to the woods driver and the honda element is my long distance travel rig. I just finished 7000 mile ride in it.

Attachments

Reactions: 9Mike2

indy the adventurer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

USA California, Orange County for now....; )
First Name
Indy
Last Name
AKA Mike
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yes i am. Amateur Extra. Will add later.
Awesome article and rig set up! Inspires thoughts of getting out of the city and having a grand adventure at a moment’s thought. I’m known to carry my gear always and be damn what others think. Beats unloading and reloading. Overland Bound!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I normally drive my rig once a week to keep her fluids moving. I may drive her more depending on weather conditions, etc. But 10 vs 40 mpg is a no brainer for me lol.

Reactions: JCWages

R302

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chula vista
First Name
ruben
Last Name
ramirez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6UXM
This is why I've been having trouble justifying a 2020 Ram Power Wagon, or a 2020 Ram 3500 mega cab for overlanding and daily driver

derekjhunt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Middletown, CT
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1IRO
My garage at work has two clearances, the main which is 7' 4" and the other is a bit lower. I discovered this by having the crossbars on my leitner rack take out the electrical conduit. I stopped bringing the rotopax to work when there was a small leak which set off some sensor in the garage and the fire marshall was called. This happened twice and then he told me not to bring a gas can into a garage.

• Wow
Reactions: JCWages

XstremeLivn

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vancouver WA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Williams
Member #