• HTML tutorial

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Well done.

I use my truck for way too many projects to be just an overland rig. I will have 2 setups here shortly. I'm picking up a diamondback truck cover this weekend for daily driving. It will keep my stuff secure and give me more loading options with the short bed.

My 2nd setup will be an RCI bed rack with my RTT and all the camp gear.

It seems expensive at first but not compared to building a dedicated trail rig.

Maybe someday I can get my dream land cruiser or 4runner.

CapeXterra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Scituate, Massachusetts
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Reimels
Member #

Well Done!! Great article. Very informative as I myself use my rig as my DD. This will help me with my future decisions on how I build up my rig for the adventures that I'm shooting for.

Reactions: BobG

AndyH

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Warriewood NSW, Australia
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Hempsall
Member #

Good read, all my previous vehicles have been multi-role vehicles (unfortunately never had the luxury of a dedicated tourer - however some lent more one way than the other), so they've all had their compromises. I'd say the current one is possibly the most road focussed of all in it's standard form, but also has the most ability of all I've owned (except maybe the Defender 110). Which is handy as I have a 90km each way commute everyday and have to occasionally accommodate our little'un.

However in my line of work it also needs to be fairly capable and able to cover big miles over outback or rough roads.

Reactions: LawnDart and BobG

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

I need to win the lotto, have a gas efficient vehicle for work and a OB Vehicle for adventures

Reactions: BobG

Ditotap

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fallbrook ca
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Cummins
Member #

My rig is my daily and still pretty stock so im cant wait for these problems/adventures but for the sake of adventure we park blocks away, we are not as hard on the gas and give the space for braking, as much as we want to trust the people around us we lock up. As bad as we want to park on that grassy/dirt and hope a curb we dont ;). We pack out more then we pack in. We are overland off road and urban. Smile speed bumps dont effect us. We build to live we live to explore

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

awesome article that obviously hits home for many, me included. i feel that usually the best option when daily driving my rig is to leave all the overland stuff that i can at home. obviously things get stolen, but a lot of the plastic stuff stuck on our rigs, like maxxtrax and rotopax are damaged by prolonged exposure to uv rays. save a few (hundred?) pounds and leave the shovels, gas, trax, jacks etc. at home. i know it looks cool, but it shouldn't be a fashion show. save gas and wear and tear on your rig and gear at the same time. my 2cents. great article.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

awesome article that obviously hits home for many, me included. i feel that usually the best option when daily driving my rig is to leave all the overland stuff that i can at home. obviously things get stolen, but a lot of the plastic stuff stuck on our rigs, like maxxtrax and rotopax are damaged by prolonged exposure to uv rays. save a few (hundred?) pounds and leave the shovels, gas, trax, jacks etc. at home. i know it looks cool, but it shouldn't be a fashion show. save gas and wear and tear on your rig and gear at the same time. my 2cents. great article.
I agree %100. Here is my rig on our trip...IMG_20170630_185751526.jpg

Then the week after we got back....

IMG_20170723_193644311.jpg

Paul Bicar

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Slovakia
First Name
Pavol
Last Name
Bicar
Member #

https://s13.postimg.org/t3626239z/25353849_938112306354669_866058707410583757_n.jpg
970 kilograms of briquettes

Reactions: Jimmy P

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I keep my recovery gear behind the seat all the time. I strip the camping gear off when not needed. It's s pain to store but my truck can then be my daily driver, and my utility rig for hunting and chores. I've found being organized you can convert in an afternoon and be ready for adventure.

Sent from my E6810 using OB Talk mobile app

CanyonMULE

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Rudolph
Member #

I'm new to OB and really appreciate articles like this. Some points may seem obvious, yet easy to overlook or under estimate. Experience based articles based are priceless. Thank you.

So on the flip side of the coin, what factors should someone keep in mind when they take their daily driver/work vehicle off-road? Before I can enjoy wandering the great outdoors on Friday night, I need a high degree of confidence I'm going to be able to use it for work at 7:00 am on Monday morning?

I intend to stay on "softer" trails that still get me to the camp, scenic and fishing spots. I also reasonably know the limitations of my vehicle and current state of build-out, but....? I'm sure there are some nuggets of knowledge and experience out there.

Thanks again.

Reactions: TimChap

WalkingBear

Rank V

Pathfinder II

San Antonio, TX
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Landeros
Member #

I'm new to OB and really appreciate articles like this. Some points may seem obvious, yet easy to overlook or under estimate. Experience based articles based are priceless. Thank you.

So on the flip side of the coin, what factors should someone keep in mind when they take their daily driver/work vehicle off-road? Before I can enjoy wandering the great outdoors on Friday night, I need a high degree of confidence I'm going to be able to use it for work at 7:00 am on Monday morning?

I intend to stay on "softer" trails that still get me to the camp, scenic and fishing spots. I also reasonably know the limitations of my vehicle and current state of build-out, but....? I'm sure there are some nuggets of knowledge and experience out there.

Thanks again.
In TX a patch kit and compressor is a must due to sharp rocks and thick torns...normally tires are the first to get damages and once you use the spare the other option is trail repair...I have used mine in a mall parking lot to "save" strangers without a spare to stay trained and know that my equipment is working properly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

WalkingBear

Rank V

Pathfinder II

San Antonio, TX
First Name
Alfonso
Last Name
Landeros
Member #

Keep plastic boxes ready with cooking supplies and canned/dried food just ready to grab and go...replenish food as soon as you get back to stay ready. I have a Jerry can style container with fresh water ready to go as well. Also a hammock with a tarp can be more practical than a tent in quick situations

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I solve the DD issue by only having a 4 mile commute to work . Mpg is not a factor for me at all because even on trips the difference in 10-15mpg vs 15-20 is not really that much money if you sit down and do the math . If I had a long commute I would definitely have 2 rigs , nothing is worse then breaking out on the trail knowing you have to hurry up and fix it b4 work .

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I live 2 miles from work, which indeed makes the 15-17mpg in my 4Runner not so bad! Back when I was commuting 16 miles each way, I had figured up that if I bought myself a 250cc dual sport bike (75mpg!), it would completely pay for itself if I rode 3 days a week (not hard in Florida!) If I ever get into a longer commute again, I will definitely go back to looking at such a purchase!

PolarExpress

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aliana TX
Member #

My Jeep is my daily. We moved from 32mi away to 7mi from my office so it’s been great. I get about 15mpg with rack n tent on there. I’d like to take the tent off on Sundays and throw it back on Fridays but it’s too damn heavy for me n the wife. Since I need help I’ll leave it on there until the hurricanes come, then stash it in the garage. I carry my recovery gear, tools and bottled water all the time. Only pack my camp boxes when rolling out. I’m not too worried about breaking stuff since I can borrow my wife’s GX460 if anything breaks. I feel damn lucky to have all this awesome stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk