Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Yesterday I installed a rebuilt front driveshaft and found the source of an exhaust leak. It's from the bottom side of the downpipe flange, so it'll have to come off to get welded. It could probably be done while on the truck but upside down welding near the one of the nuts isn't the best idea.

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
Camping was kinda shitty, we were in an established campground since friends don't have 4wd. It was crowded and I didn't really enjoy.
But me, dog and gf at least did some exploring the forest roads around Pike NF on the way there and then again on the way back. Lots of sweet dispersed camping sites to keep in mind for the future. Took a bit of a hit on the front bumper from carrying A bit too much speed into a mud run, broke some clips and got a bit of a scratch. Oh well, battle scars.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Always love seeing a Subaru in its natural environment.

A downside to owning and modding an Outback is that few manufacturers actually make parts for the wagon and none of them are kept in stock. So while I continue to wait for my lift, bumper guard, and other parts I guess I'll just keep ordering haha. Ordered a #murderspork, a pulaski, and fourtreks dual mounts to attach them to my load warrior. While I was abusing my Amazon prime I also ordered the adventure medical comprehensive mountain series kit to keep in the car. I had wanted to get a better kit but after reading some of the threads here I decided to spend the extra money now for a complete kit.
A belated welcome from another Subaru enthusiast (and Ambassador as of the day before I shipped off my Outback...) I'd imagine that you've already found subaruoutback.org, where there is a wealth of information. And there are various Subaru oriented Facebook Groups that might offer some options for you. (Subaru Outback Owners, Subaru Offroad!, North American Soft Roaders, etc.) I'm Rex Wagon on Facebook (Last summer I sold my 2002 wagon that I bought new) and "smorris" on most Subaru forums.

Here was my thread on prepping my Outback for our cross-country trip last fall: Steve's Cross-Country Subaru Outback

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
A belated welcome from another Subaru enthusiast (and Ambassador as of the day before I shipped off my Outback...) I'd imagine that you've already found subaruoutback.org, where there is a wealth of information. And there are various Subaru oriented Facebook Groups that might offer some options for you. (Subaru Outback Owners, Subaru Offroad!, North American Soft Roaders, etc.) I'm Rex Wagon on Facebook (Last summer I sold my 2002 wagon that I bought new) and "smorris" on most Subaru forums.

Here was my thread on prepping my Outback for our cross-country trip last fall: Steve's Cross-Country Subaru Outback
Thank you for the welcome Steve! I'm quite familiar with your Outback and recognized it here almost immediately because I am on the .org as well as a few other options you mentioned. I'm here as a result of Grant and his post/video on OffRoadSubaru.com and I'm thankful he shared it because I really like this community. I'm looking forward to the arrival of my emblems and getting more involved outside while encouraging others to do the same. I'm also looking forward to sharing pictures of my wagon as soon as parts start coming in (a month and counting on my lift for example).

Reactions: Steve

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

AT3, older model, cheaper, yet still proven. This is my third set between two rigs.
I was looking at these and the toyo at II for my superduty. How many miles do you get out them?

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

The set you saw me on at Alabama Hills had over 50k on them at the time. Rotate every 8k (oil change)

I take my tires to the wear bars and beyond though...

Where they really shine is when you drop them down to about 18 psi. I run 285/75/16 so at those pressures the tire is about a foot and a half wide, and they're sticky as heck. I'm going to Bald Mt. this weekend I'm really hoping they perform well on the slick shelves.

Good road manners too, although near the end of their life I thought I had drones following me everywhere *twitch*

I'd really like to try a set of the HT's in 255/85/16 (fat pizza cutter) I have a nice set of 2015 Desert Runner wheels (Frontier/Xterra has weird lug pattern, 6 on 4.5") that I'd like to use for highway only and save my knobs for the dirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: WJ - Firefly

Trixter404

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hannum
Member #

Resealed the Ballistic Fab rear diff. cover (it was dripping). Also recently ordered a rear bumper/tire carrier from Maxterra. Can't wait!!!

Reactions: utspoolup

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

My lunch break consisted of topping off the oil, filling the gas tank, and "mostly" replacing the air in my tires. I know, sounds weird, huh? Well, that last bit about replacing the air does.

I dumped the air, which is only CO2 at this point, down to about 15PSI in each tire. I used the air at the gas station to refill (35F/50R) the tires. Turns out CO2 is soluble with the rubber in our tires and escapes out to the atmosphere. It's true, look it up! I seem to loose about 1# a week and usually top off with my CO2 tank, again during lunch.

This is the first time I've used actual air to fill my tires in years, so I'm curious to see what happens. I'm going to start a separate thread on this and track my findings.