Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Ok so I have gone back to my photoshop and had another go- my first attempt nearly saw me throw the computer out the window. So I think it’s probably impossible to represent the whole of the U.K. and keep to the guidelines of what all the OB patches look like. The first one with the stag says U.K. to me as this is a familiar and rather majestic sight when I have been overland exploring in England, Wales and Scotland (not been to NI). The second is a coastline because we are after all a little island and the one thing that every nation of the U.K. has is a coast.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

peteillingworth

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
Member #

Ok so I have gone back to my photoshop and had another go- my first attempt nearly saw me throw the computer out the window. So I think it’s probably impossible to represent the whole of the U.K. and keep to the guidelines of what all the OB patches look like. The first one with the stag says U.K. to me as this is a familiar and rather majestic sight when I have been overland exploring in England, Wales and Scotland (not been to NI). The second is a coastline because we are after all a little island and the one thing that every nation of the U.K. has is a coast.

Like the stag

Sent from my Nexus 6 using OB Talk mobile app

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Like the stag like the coast , B your very talented like you say were surrounded by the sea try a puffin or gannet a sea bird represents the uk As a whole. And are both very colourful id buy both , am not a toyota man either but the ob logo is what it is Do you know reasearch landrover identifies the uk to. Every Country in the world Come on OB LET US HAVE A SERIES 1

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Like the stag like the coast , B your very talented like you say were surrounded by the sea try a puffin or gannet a sea bird represents the uk As a whole. And are both very colourful id buy both , am not a toyota man either but the ob logo is what it is Do you know reasearch landrover identifies the uk to. Every Country in the world Come on OB LET US HAVE A SERIES 1
I did try a uk coast scene with a series II Land Rover driving along it but it didn’t work out too well. The land rover was too small and intricate.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I did try a uk coast scene with a series II Land Rover driving along it but it didn’t work out too well. The land rover was too small and intricate.

iconic all over. Have never owned a seriers Just looks great Coming toward you or going away from you.

Attachments

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I used to have a series III when I first learnt to drive. I bought it in pieces and eventually assembled a whole Land Rover

Just remember i have had one never owned it but was allowed to use it On the estate i worked on 70s.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I dont understand what you trying to accomplish. Its nature on the badges, that is the descision Overland Bound made. So, stop this senseless trying to get tech on it.
Is it just being against the rest of the world?
Anyway, you are making yourself absolutely not part of the community.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I dont understand what you trying to accomplish. Its nature on the badges, that is the descision Overland Bound made. So, stop this senseless trying to get tech on it.
Is it just being against the rest of the world?
Anyway, you are making yourself absolutely not part of the community.
You need to chill I posted a picture of the white cliffs of dover with a british icon flying over it never mentioned any thing about it being on any badge If my pride in my country offends you thats your problem sunshine not mine Why not put the tallest mountain in the uk on the uk badge that pc enough for you. ITS BEN NEVIS SCOTLAND

Last edited:

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Right - This is getting out of hand now and not in the spirit of trying to come up with sensible comments to go towards the collaborative effort to the Regional Patch

I am now LOCKING this thread for any further comments - I did say a week or so ago that I would collate together the details from the 19th - so I've left it an extra couple of days,

I will now go through the thread and summarise what has been suggested to Michael of which They will come up with a design to post up on here

Thank you all for the input

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

Just catching up here. I can't imagine why our its difficult to unite all of the UK (kidding!). All good thoughts.

In the US, its easier. Though we call it "Southwest" they are all the "United States" so pic a geographic element and go with it! Let me throw some options out there...
  1. We create multiple region patches within the UK (this has the disadvantage of taking longer, and perhaps not getting done soon).
  2. We go with a "fantastical" design, which ties in various elements (White Cliffs, Matterhorn, plains or flat land) in one cohesive design.
We keep the focus geography.

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

Just catching up here. I can't imagine why our its difficult to unite all of the UK (kidding!). All good thoughts.

In the US, its easier. Though we call it "Southwest" they are all the "United States" so pic a geographic element and go with it! Let me throw some options out there...
  1. We create multiple region patches within the UK (this has the disadvantage of taking longer, and perhaps not getting done soon).
  2. We go with a "fantastical" design, which ties in various elements (White Cliffs, Matterhorn, plains or flat land) in one cohesive design.
We keep the focus geography.

M
Guys - I completely messed this up, having confused this thread with another thread. Please disregard above post for the most part.

:grin:

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

What about a simple picture of the uk surrounded by water as a symbol for the patch...that way we cover everything without highlighting single areas..straight forward and simple..

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

What about a simple picture of the uk surrounded by water as a symbol for the patch...that way we cover everything without highlighting single areas..straight forward and simple..
Hey there. I tried that idea and was moaned at because it was a political symbol. I disagree. I was also abruptly informed that it MUST contain a landscape. The point I was trying to get across it that we are trying to incorporate multiple Countries rather than a handful of States. There isn't a single landscape which would represent ALL of the countries concerned. That's why I backed away from the "discussion"

Reactions: blackntan

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Hi @Scotty lock and @Defender 90 Keith ,

It has been a heated discussion in this thread about what would be acceptable for the patch,
I have put across on a number of times both on here, in DM and on FB that as this is the first time (apart from the recent mid-eu) that an area has had to represent a number of Countries rather than states - this is something i have pointed out which does make it difficult,

Now what has been discussed and agreed upon is there is going to be a couple of designs put together from OB's designer which we are just waiting for (Time of the year n all) - once these have come back, they will be posted and which ever has been the most suitable will be the one to go forward - there will be a choice based on the info from this thread and FB thread which the designer is/has looked at and will come up with something
The stipulation is that it has to be inline with the other patches to keep continuity and in keeping with the rest of the designs - which ultimately means a landscape of some sort
We will see what comes from the designer and see what everyone thinks about it, then based on feedback it will go forward for final approval

Hope that clears things up - This is NOT to moan at anyone nor should it be taken in that way - this is simply to get the record straight

Best wishes
Kevin

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

We all think of different things which we feel for different areas and we are 4/5 countries together. Allowing for the north and south of Ireland. A image of the uk is just an image and not political at all. If you stick flags on it , etc then that may change that image. No one thing best describe the uk as we are all different countries in one nation. USA is the USA, not different countries. Just different states. Same as Australia too....Africa is like us also....so the decision is more complicated. I think of Scotland and think of lochs, mountains and deer. Wales daffodil, mountains and lakes and a dragon...so you see different thoughts for each country. I think of uk and one image is difficult to express in my opinion. That’s why a green map of uk surrounded by water...maybe with small image of mountains in Scotland and wales or something similar would be better. I am a English man living in Scotland which makes it hard for me. I love both countries for different reasons but see them and look at them with different eyes and thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.