Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

We all think of different things which we feel for different areas and we are 4/5 countries together. Allowing for the north and south of Ireland. A image of the uk is just an image and not political at all. If you stick flags on it , etc then that may change that image. No one thing best describe the uk as we are all different countries in one nation. USA is the USA, not different countries. Just different states. Same as Australia too....Africa is like us also....so the decision is more complicated. I think of Scotland and think of lochs, mountains and deer. Wales daffodil, mountains and lakes and a dragon...so you see different thoughts for each country. I think of uk and one image is difficult to express in my opinion. That’s why a green map of uk surrounded by water...maybe with small image of mountains in Scotland and wales or something similar would be better. I am a English man living in Scotland which makes it hard for me. I love both countries for different reasons but see them and look at them with different eyes and thoughts..
I can understand where your coming from and do agree to some level - as this will be difficult with opposing opinions on the subject,
I'm the other way round, I'm Scottish living in the East of England - Hebridean by birth

As mentioned before, the thoughts and opinions are being taken into account as to what can be used and there will be a couple of idea designs which would help the issue progress to a final agreed design
Time will tell on this one
Best wishes
Kev

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
We could wait - for OLB it has to do with OLB population density. We followed the same methodology within the United States carving up regions, and not everyone was happy. Texas feels it is it's own state, country, and region. We roll out patches according to OLB density for the most part. In the case of countries, it would be far easier to wait until OLB population in that country reaches say, 500, then we make the patch. Thoughts?

M

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

We could wait - for OLB it has to do with OLB population density. We followed the same methodology within the United States carving up regions, and not everyone was happy. Texas feels it is it's own state, country, and region. We roll out patches according to OLB density for the most part. In the case of countries, it would be far easier to wait until OLB population in that country reaches say, 500, then we make the patch. Thoughts?

M
If we were to wait for each of the UK countries to reach a minimum of let's say 500 I believe there would be individuals who wouldn' be happy. I also believe it should be easier to represent each of the countries individually. In the US you are able to collect patches without leaving the country. If the UK had separate patches we also could collect each of the patches. Who knows, separate patches might influence some to visit more of the UK. It would be interested to hear what the other UK members have to say. It appears that a large number aren't interested in the patches anyway. I'm guessing that is the situation due to their silence on the matter. I might be wrong

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I'm interested in a UK patch. Something to identify with, and to collect when travelling as much as anything else.

We have a region called United Kingdom within the OLB community.

The definition of the United Kingdom is: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. In fact, the correct name is The United Kingdom and Northern Ireland.
The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are dependencies of the Crown, but are not part of the UK, similarly with the remnants of the British Empire ....... (British Overseas Territories).
A patch for the UK & NI? Or individual patches for the Countries of the UK & NI? Not sure. Would be nice to see one per country, but I suspect unlikely .... see below re economics.

@Michael has stated it's about OLB population density, so for me that would mean 500 members in the UK. How many are there at the moment?
If 500 is the rule, then we have to go with that as other areas have before us.
However, look at the surface area of each area, compared to our tiny island, 500 might be a number that could take a long while to reach. The UK would be lost in just one state, let alone a US region.
Just looking at the members map, we'd be lucky if we number 100 at the moment.
I would hazard a guess and say it's about the economics of supply and demand as much as anything else. As someone who has run car clubs in the past, buying things like Tee shirts etc.. is all about minimum orders and if the minimum is sustainable and cost effective.

There also appears to be some rules about what the patch should look like, but as said before, because the UK is so small, yet so diverse, a single "picture" is difficult to chose such that it represents the whole of the UK.

Debate is healthy .......

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

We accepted the thoughts of @Michael and @Corrie Took one spot in Europe, which was ok by all who talked about it.
We didnt care about country or such, just needed a nice looking badge. So we all are happy and we ordered already.
Simple.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Its not died a death as some may think

With the Core OB minds being away over the xmas period in Baja it has slowed down a little bit
I've been sending regular messages to find out what is going on with it

Reactions: nickburt

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
As its the uk region should it not be the uk members who decide Eng scot ni wales
A well know. Icon Or just a full map of the uk would do as the united kingdom not being so united that would fit the bill and done correctly would look good given the unmistakable shape of blighty :yum:

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

In the end @Michael and @Corrie decide. We all have just an advicing role.
But with the right idea I dont think they will disagree.
Just find a landscape that is significant to the UK.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

As its the uk region should it not be the uk members who decide Eng scot ni wales
A well know. Icon Or just a full map of the uk would do as the united kingdom not being so united that would fit the bill and done correctly would look good given the unmistakable shape of blighty :yum:
Ultimately they will have the last say but I have said a number of times that there will be a couple of designs which people can then have a choice as to which one would be suitable
This had all been discussed before :)

Reactions: nickburt

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I'm going to put my money on the end result being a generic landscape being used with "United Kingdom" stamped across it to justify the image.

I'l be interested to see how it sells. fingers crossed that it does.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
a bit like "John Culshaw" impressionism. He always feels the need to tell you who he is impersonating beforehand as they all sound the same.
Mmm how true not worth having some thing that governed and is just there so as not to offed any. As i said think ill stick to me Ukip badge :yum:

Status
Not open for further replies.