Traction Board Review

• HTML tutorial

Which boards are best for your overlanding style?

• Total voters

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

COVID hit him pretty hard. He posted on his Instagram that he's finally able to start production again.
Yeah, sorry to hear that. I did ask back around the beginning of the year about a mounting system. I was hoping they would have a full system. I was told they were coming out with something soon. It seems that never happened - so I went with another brand.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

What have you all found on the quality/longevity of these cheap boards? So far in looking at the Amazon reviews it seems that there is mixed reviews on the ones that have been used.
I see that many that are used in the snow crack and break. This seems very common. The ones that have been used in warmer weather seem to break less, but still some breakage. Warm and in sand (supported) they seem to do much better.
Many report melting them, but this is because they are Morons and don't know how to use them correctly.
For the little bit extra, I am really looking at the RototraX ones.
Any input on this?

Rich_the4x4podcast

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lawrence KS
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Young
Member #

What have you all found on the quality/longevity of these cheap boards? So far in looking at the Amazon reviews it seems that there is mixed reviews on the ones that have been used.
I see that many that are used in the snow crack and break. This seems very common. The ones that have been used in warmer weather seem to break less, but still some breakage. Warm and in sand (supported) they seem to do much better.
Many report melting them, but this is because they are Morons and don't know how to use them correctly.
Any input on this?
Inferior plastics/polymers become brittle in cold weather and more pliable in heat. This makes sense why the cheaper boards don't fare well in cold climates.

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
Any input on this?
I thought long and hard before settling on my choice of the ARB Tred Pro, the second most expensive to the Maxtrax. My 4 Tred Pros cost me nearly $600.00 plus the mounts. So as you can see they are quite the investment. I read everything and watched everything I could find on the subject and decided that 4 boards were necessary and that the Tred Pros would be just as good if not better for my vehicle (a jeep TJ)and my budget. Bear in mind if I had a pick up truck, or even something like a full size Land Cruiser, I might have popped for the Maxtrax as they seem to handle very heavy vehicles slightly better and there are more options to mount them on a larger vehicle. I am not a fan of the ARB Pro mounting system. Bottom line is, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to recovery gear. I trust that without a solid winch anchor, my Tred Pros will get my Jeep out of just about any bogged situation I find myself in. They are just one tool in my toolbox however and it is good to have options. I wouldn't trust my life or Jeep to a $200.00 winch and a good traction board choice can be just as important. They do you no good if they break the first time you try and use them. Some of the cheap ones are just crap(ie. Smittybilt). I know that this is long winded, but don't just buy a pair because they will look cool mounted on your vehicle, remember these things might need to be called upon to save your butt, They must not fail.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I thought long and hard before settling on my choice of the ARB Tred Pro, the second most expensive to the Maxtrax. My 4 Tred Pros cost me nearly $600.00 plus the mounts. So as you can see they are quite the investment. I read everything and watched everything I could find on the subject and decided that 4 boards were necessary and that the Tred Pros would be just as good if not better for my vehicle (a jeep TJ)and my budget. Bear in mind if I had a pick up truck, or even something like a full size Land Cruiser, I might have popped for the Maxtrax as they seem to handle very heavy vehicles slightly better and there are more options to mount them on a larger vehicle. I am not a fan of the ARB Pro mounting system. Bottom line is, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to recovery gear. I trust that without a solid winch anchor, my Tred Pros will get my Jeep out of just about any bogged situation I find myself in. They are just one tool in my toolbox however and it is good to have options. I wouldn't trust my life or Jeep to a $200.00 winch and a good traction board choice can be just as important. They do you no good if they break the first time you try and use them. Some of the cheap ones are just crap(ie. Smittybilt). I know that this is long winded, but don't just buy a pair because they will look cool mounted on your vehicle, remember these things might need to be called upon to save your butt, They must not fail.
I agree, and if I could afford them I would just get the best. However at this point my travels are limited to trips of a week or less mostly in my home state. I am also running a stock square body Suburban. I will be on FS and DNR roads. My rig is just not a “Wheeler”. I used to do that and I now prefer the travel over beating up my rig and only doing 2 miles in a day.
my boards will not get mounted on the outside of my truck, so no one will ever see them.
For now I think I will get a cheap set and see how they do. I have a winch and a full compliment of other gear. I also don’t live anywhere near sand.
I may get some of the RototraX, they just need to fix the issue of the slick bottom.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
Nothing wrong with that approach as long as you know your own limits and have other options as well. Believe me it was a stretch to justify them to me as well, but I live in snow country and they work really well in snow too. I wanted to buy them once. Mine also carry a lifetime warranty.

Voyager1500

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bergen County, NJ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Tierno
Member #

From what I can tell in the pics and the one review that was up on you tube , the rotopax ones are smooth underneath ? Not sure if that is a good feature if that is the case, would be worried of them sliding easily ? Has anyone put these to use yet ?

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I put my MT on the roof yesterday afternoon. I have to wonder if all the other brands are as stout as the MT. I was really surprised how heavy they are. I can barely put them on the roof two at a time. The plastic is quite thick.