The F150 Baja 1000 Chase / Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

The Ocular Engineer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

20160103_120354.jpg
This is how it all started. 2007 F150 XLT. I talked myself out of buying a Raptor because this truck was paid for and even after depreciating its value to zero and doing all the upgrades and modifications that planned, I would still be money ahead. At that time the list was relatively modest: LineX the bed, good suspension, bigger tires, bumper, CAI and a few other things.

At this point, all I had done was leveling blocks in the front, air bags in the rear and some custom interior work (back seat removal and build a storage box).

The Ocular Engineer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

20161005_142738.jpg
Next came the Hard Notch Customs front bumper that will hold a winch, powder coated OEM wheels, BFGs and fender flares.

Then my good friend from Fire Guys Racing called to say they were taking their class 7 Toyota to the 50th anniversary of the Baja 1000 and he wanted to know if I wanted to chase for them. I had some work to do.

Last edited:

The Ocular Engineer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

20170611_174322.jpg
...but first, the suspension needed to be installed. Camburg UCAs with ICON 2.5" coilovers and shocks with remote reservoirs.
ICON does not specifically offer the front suspension w/ remote reservoirs for this generation of F150 but after consulting with their tech and engineering departments, the coilovers for the '09 generation would. It was up to me to mark, drill & tap the mounting holes on the top plate of the shock.
After multiple road-trips including a trip from MN to La Paz, I LOVE this suspension. Being able to tune it to the load in the truck is great. I find myself looking for bumps in my daily driving just to feel them soak it up.IMG_7391.jpg

The Ocular Engineer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

20170703_131256.jpg
The Chase Rack: I spent many hours looking through Google images of chase trucks and incorporated certain elements of some into my design. As you can see by this pic, I got REALLY high tech and used a Sharpie and a ruler to plan the outboard profile of the rack.
My design considerations were that it need to be substantial enough to carry at least three spare wheels, be able to mount lights, the front light bars had to be far enough back so they cast a shadow over the hood and there needed to be tabs to mount quick connect air fittings.
20170819_212449.jpg
I am very luck to have a friend with a fabrication shop over in WI, so I went down there for a weekend to knock this project out. I had done a few sketches with paper and pencil as well, but shortly after getting to his place, I realized that I had left all my notes 250 miles away. So, I just figured it out as I went. The top hoop was bent and strapped in place and I built to it.

Last edited:

The Ocular Engineer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A note on suspension and component selection:
Originally, I had planned to go with Fox, was going to get a "racer discount" through the supplier for my friends who race as well as get the Camburg UCAs. In the end, the supplier completely let me down, Fox gave me a time frame of 8 to 12 weeks for delivery for full price shocks (which was not acceptable to me) so I went with ICON paired with the UCAs that I had already purchased. That is the only reason that I didn't get the ICON UCAs.
Did I mention that I love this suspension? It rocks. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA

The Ocular Engineer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I like where this build is going! How did you tie the chase rack to the frame, or is it just bolted to the box rails?
The rack is attached using the front bed pockets and through bolts on the bed rail.
In the front, I made a pad to mimic the plastic cover on the bed rail, welded about 6" of angle to go into the pocket then drilled a hole in the right spot and welded a nut on the back of it. Then, to compensate for the angle of the bed pocket, I machined a cattywampus washer to keep things square and true.20170815_172925.jpg 20170816_120125.jpg 20170815_164652.jpg

Reactions: H3Coyote

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I'd be worried your still going to mangle your bed between the weight go the rack and what you put in/on it and the forces of bombing through the desert at speed. Are you planing on a bypass/ tire rack in the bed, like either of these? If you are then I would tie the over cab rack into the bed/frame mounted rack to take the stress off the thin box sheetmetal.
F143767109.png f7b46e00a427caf25735626fcd5977e3.jpg

The Ocular Engineer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I do not plan on any further upgrades to the suspension other than possibly new rear leaf springs. In my plotting of this project, I specifically dismissed racks that took up bed space because I could not give up the storage.

Regarding the mounting points of the rack:
The ability (or its limited ability) of the bed rail to support load did not escape my thought process. It is a calculated risk at this point. I will attest that it has survived a 6200 mile roadtrip with 3 full size spares, MaxTraax, shovel, 10' EZ up and chairs on it.

There is some reworking of the rack that I need to do, so I may enlarge the back contact points at that time to be safe.